Windows 10: Change Performance Settings for Firefox

Discus and support Change Performance Settings for Firefox in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Performance Settings for Firefox [img] Information Starting with Firefox Quantum (version 57), there is a new user interface (UI)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Performance Settings for Firefox

How to: Change Performance Settings for Firefox

Change Performance Settings for Firefox [​IMG]
    Information Starting with Firefox Quantum (version 57), there is a new user interface (UI) called Photon.

Firefox automatically uses recommended performance settings that work best with your computer.

If you like, you can modify the following performance settings to customize them how you want instead.
    • Use hardware acceleration when available - This allows Firefox to use your computer's graphics processor, if possible, instead of the main processor, to display graphics-heavy web content such as videos or games. This frees up resources on your computer so it can run other applications, like Firefox, faster. This box is checked by default but the feature isn't available for all graphics processors. You must restart Firefox after changing this setting, before it will take effect.
    • Content process limit - With Multiprocess Firefox, also called electrolysis or e10s , Firefox runs web content for all tabs separately from the main Firefox process for increased security and performance. Using multiple content processes can further increase performance and minimize the impact of content process crashes. You can modify this setting if multiprocess is enabled; however, having too many content processes can slow down your computer, and consequently, Firefox. The recommended maximum is four, but you can set up to seven.
    This tutorial will show you how to change the performance settings of Firefox Quantum for your account in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

Tip If your computer's system information shows more than 8 GB of RAM, you might want to try bumping up the number of content processes that Firefox uses from its default value. Additional content processes can improve performance when using multiple tabs, but will also use more memory.

Here's How:

1. Open Firefox.
    2. Click/tap on the Menu button
    , and click/tap on Options. (see screenshot below)

Note If you like, you could also copy and paste the path below into the address bar, and press Enter to go directly to General settings.

*Arrow aboutChange Performance Settings for Firefox :preferences#general

3. Do step 4 (default) or step 5 (custom) below for the performance settings you want to use.

4. To Use Default Recommended Performance Settings
    A) Scroll down to the Performance section in General settings. (see screenshot below)

B) Check the Use recommended performance settings box, and go to step 6 below.

5. To Use Custom Performance Settings
    A) Scroll down to the Performance section in General settings. (see screenshot below)

B) Uncheck the Use recommended performance settings box.

C) Check (default) or uncheck the Use hardware acceleration when available box for what you want.

Note You must restart Firefox after changing this setting, before it will take effect.

D) Select the Content process limit (1 to 7) you want, and go to step 6 below.

6. You can now close this Options tab if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

:)

Brink, Dec 5, 2016

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Sasqui Win User
    Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Oct 26, 2019
  4. ainekav Win User

Display settings changed to enhance performance - crude basic text

Hi there

New to this and clueless so sorry in advance! I have a Sony Vaio laptop running windows 10, about 5 years old. It started to lag a lot so I looked up some ways to enhance performance. Read a few articles online and followed a few steps to speed up my laptop. I cleared out a lot of unnecessary programs and changed some display settings. This all resulted in better performance, but the text on my screen to be reset to crude, basic text. (screenshot attached) I now have a suspicion that this is bad for my eyes and I'm about to start an online course, so I want to change the settings back. Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly what I did.
    Here's what my screen looks like

I know that I definitely unchecked this: Automatically manage paging file size for all drives
    (read it in an article and followed the steps exactly) and manually calculated paging file size for all drives. Would this have anything to do with my text problem?

Any suggestions of what happened and how to fix it would be great.
    I'm also wondering if I change the settings back, if my laptop will return to it's previous slow speed, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

ainekav, Oct 26, 2019
  5. New FF - passwords

Hi:

If that setting is already enabled, then I suggest as the next troubleshooting step might be Mozilla Safe Mode (not to be confused with Windows Safe Mode)):

Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode | Firefox Help

• Please report back and let us know the outcome, as it will dictate the next steps.
    • Also: please tell us what AV/AM/firewall programs are you running on this system?

Thanks,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Oct 26, 2019
  6. hellrazor Win User
    Firefox cookies settings

I'm trying to change the cookie settings in Firefox from "Until I close Firefox" to "Until they expire", but every time I change it, it just changes it back. What's going on?

hellrazor, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Change Performance Settings for Firefox - Similar Threads - Change Performance Settings

2. No performance settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    No performance settings: I'm using an HP laptop with the newest version of Windows10 insider dev build. But suddenly the performance setting disappeared in the battery setting. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-performance-settings/ad027e4a-275b-42eb-a1b6-5723d3e66c2b
  3. Setting Performance Windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting Performance Windows: How do I set Windows10 to always be at maximum performance? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setting-performance-windows/e04636c4-d718-45f0-a906-66a2be91a85c
  4. Firefox - Settings and Display

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox - Settings and Display: Now that FF is auto load via FVD I got all my links sorted and operational. Then I lost all my passwords to every site that required them; they just vanished. Had to reinput, making sure they were 'remembered' again. Now a new occurrence. Remember when IE11 came out and the...
  5. Changing Font Size in Firefox

in Browsers and Email
    Changing Font Size in Firefox: It's been a long, long time since I have installed Firefos but I remember I could change the font size of the menus, toolbars etc. by using selection from a list of reg files. Now I can't find that list anywhere. Would someone please point me to them if they still exist....
  6. I cant install firefox and change proxy setting

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I cant install firefox and change proxy setting: I cant instsal fire fox and change proxy setting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/%D9%81%D8%A7%DB%8C%D8%B1-%D9%81%D8%A7%DA%A9%D8%B3/5860229a-288f-4f5d-8a7b-c0d7bea48c57
  7. Mozilla Firefox 67 released with performance improvements

in Windows 10 News
    Mozilla Firefox 67 released with performance improvements: Mozilla is rolling Firefox 67 for Windows and other platforms with major performance improvements for better browsing experience. The company has made some changes to the “setTimeout” function during the loading of web pages by lowering the priority of the function. Firefox...
  8. What's this in my Firefox settings?

in Browsers and Email
    What's this in my Firefox settings?: Noticed a small warning box in the top of my FireFox settings: [img] So my question is, what is the meaning of this? And it's all over my settings pages of FF! *Mad (I translated it for you) 120580
  9. Change Homepage in Firefox

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Homepage in Firefox: How to: Change Homepage in Firefox How to Change Homepage in Firefox in Windows The homepage in Firefox is what you see when you open Firefox, open new windows, or click/tap on the Home button [img] in Firefox. You can select to have your homepage be Firefox Home...
  10. Change Theme in Firefox

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Theme in Firefox: How to: Change Theme in Firefox How to Change the Theme in Firefox Quantum Starting with Firefox Quantum (version 57), there is a new user interface (UI) called Photon. Firefox Quantum includes the Default, Light, and Dark themes, but you can get more themes to...