Windows 10: Change PowerShell Script Execution Policy in Windows 10

Discus and support Change PowerShell Script Execution Policy in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change PowerShell Script Execution Policy in Windows 10 How to Set PowerShell Script Execution Policy in Windows 10 The PowerShell script... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Steve C, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Steve C Win User

Change PowerShell Script Execution Policy in Windows 10

How to: Change PowerShell Script Execution Policy in Windows 10

How to Set PowerShell Script Execution Policy in Windows 10

The PowerShell script execution policies enables you to determine which Windows PowerShell scripts (if any) will be allowed to run on your computer. Windows PowerShell has four different execution policies:

[table][tr][td]Execution Policy[/td] [td]Description[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]AllSigned[/td] [td]Only PowerShell scripts signed by a trusted publisher can be run. When you attempt to run a signed script, you'll receive a prompt asking you to confirm that you trust the publisher.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Bypass[/td] [td]Nothing is blocked and there are no warnings or prompts.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Default[/td] [td]Sets the default execution policy. Restricted for Windows clients. RemoteSigned for Windows servers.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]RemoteSigned[/td] [td]Downloaded PowerShell scripts must be signed by a trusted publisher before they can be run. Scripts that you run from the local computer don't need to be signed. There are no prompts when you attempt to run a script.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Restricted[/td] [td]No PowerShell scripts can be run. Windows PowerShell can be used only in interactive mode. This means that you can only run individual commands. You can't run scripts under this policy, regardless of where the scripts came from (local or downloaded) and whether they are signed.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Unrestricted[/td] [td]Unsigned scripts can run. There is a risk of running malicious scripts. Warns the user before running scripts and configuration files that are downloaded from the internet.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Undefined (default)[/td] [td]No execution policy has been set. If the execution policy in all scopes is Undefined, the effective execution policy is Restricted, which is the default execution policy.[/td] [/tr] [/table]

You can set an execution policy that is effective only in a particular scope.

The Scope values used in this tutorial are Process, CurrentUser, and LocalMachine. LocalMachine is the default when setting an execution policy.

The Scope values are listed in precedence order.

[table][tr][td]Scope[/td] [td]Description[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Process[/td] [td]The execution policy affects only the current session (the current Windows PowerShell process). The execution policy is stored in the $envChange PowerShell Script Execution Policy in Windows 10 :pSExecutionPolicyPreference environment variable, not in the registry, and it is deleted when the session is closed. You cannot change the policy by editing the variable value.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]CurrentUser[/td] [td]The execution policy affects only the current user. It is stored in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry subkey.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]LocalMachine[/td] [td]The execution policy affects all users on the current computer. It is stored in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry subkey. The policy that takes precedence is effective in the current session, even if a more restrictive policy was set at a lower level of precedence.[/td] [/tr] [/table]

This tutorial will show you different ways on how to set the PowerShell script execution policy for the current user, local machine, or current process in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To See Current PowerShell Script Execution Policies
    • Option Two: To Set PowerShell Script Execution Policy to "RemoteSigned" for Current User in Settings
    • Option Three: To Set PowerShell Script Execution Policy for Current User in PowerShell
    • Option Four: To Set PowerShell Script Execution Policy for Current User using a REG file
    • Option Five: To Set PowerShell Script Execution Policy for Local Machine in PowerShell
    • Option Six: To Set PowerShell Script Execution Policy for Local Machine using a REG file
    • Option Seven: To Set PowerShell Script Execution Policy for a Process in PowerShell

OPTION ONE [/i] To See Current PowerShell Script Execution Policies
    1. Open PowerShell.

2. Copy and paste the command below into PowerShell, and press Enter.
    *Arrow Get-ExecutionPolicy -List
    3. You will now see all execution policies. The policies are listed in precedence order. (see screenshot below)

Change PowerShell Script Execution Policy in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Set PowerShell Script Execution Policy to "RemoteSigned" for Current User in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Update & security icon.

2. Click/tap on For developers on the left side, check the Change execution policy to allow local PowerShell scripts to run without signing. Require signing for remote scripts. box under PowerShell on the right side, and click/tap on the Apply button. (see screenshot below)

Note If this setting is grayed out, then the execution policy for your account is already set to RemoteSigned.

3. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Set PowerShell Script Execution Policy for Current User in PowerShell
    1. Open PowerShell.

2. Copy and paste the command below into PowerShell for the execution policy your want to set, and press Enter.
    *Arrow Set-ExecutionPolicy AllSigned -Scope CurrentUser -Force

*Arrow Set-ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Scope CurrentUser -Force

*Arrow Set-ExecutionPolicy Default -Scope CurrentUser -Force

*Arrow Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned -Scope CurrentUser -Force

*Arrow Set-ExecutionPolicy Restricted -Scope CurrentUser -Force

*Arrow Set-ExecutionPolicy Undefined -Scope CurrentUser -Force

*Arrow Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Scope CurrentUser -Force
    3. You can now close PowerShell if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Set PowerShell Script Execution Policy for Current User using a REG file
    *note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the string value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell\1\ShellIds\Microsoft.PowerShell

ExecutionPolicy string value

Restricted
    AllSigned
    RemoteSigned
    Unrestricted
    Bypass
    Undefined

1. Do step 2 (Restricted), step 3 (AllSigned), step 4 (RemoteSigned), step 5 (Unrestricted), step 6 (Bypass), or step 7 (Undefined) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Set PowerShell Script Execution Policy to "Restricted" for Current User
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 8 below.

CurrentUser_Restricted_PowerShell_ExcutionPolicy.reg

Download

3. To Set PowerShell Script Execution Policy to "AllSigned" for Current User
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 8 below.

CurrentUser_AllSigned_PowerShell_ExcutionPolicy.reg

Download

4. To Set PowerShell Script Execution Policy to "RemoteSigned" for Current User

CurrentUser_Restricted_PowerShell_ExcutionPolicy.reg

Download

5. To Set PowerShell Script Execution Policy to "Unrestricted" for Current User

CurrentUser_Unrestricted_PowerShell_ExcutionPolicy.reg

Download

6. To Set PowerShell Script Execution Policy to "Bypass" for Current User

CurrentUser_Bypass_PowerShell_ExcutionPolicy.reg

Download

7. To Set PowerShell Script Execution Policy to "Undefined" for Current User
    NOTE: This is the default setting.

CurrentUser_Undefined_PowerShell_ExcutionPolicy.reg

Download

8. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

9. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

10. If prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

11. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Set PowerShell Script Execution Policy for Local Machine in PowerShell
    *note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

If you get a message in red like below when setting a PowerShell execution policy, then it just means that your (current user) set execution policy will be used instead of this local machine setting. If you like, you can set your (current user) execution policy to Undefined to no longer see this message in red when setting the local machine policy.

1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Copy and paste the command below into the elevated PowerShell for the execution policy your want to set, and press Enter.
    *Arrow Set-ExecutionPolicy AllSigned -Scope LocalMachine -Force

*Arrow Set-ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Scope LocalMachine -Force

*Arrow Set-ExecutionPolicy Default -Scope LocalMachine -Force

*Arrow Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned -Scope LocalMachine -Force

*Arrow Set-ExecutionPolicy Restricted -Scope LocalMachine -Force

*Arrow Set-ExecutionPolicy Undefined -Scope LocalMachine -Force

*Arrow Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Scope LocalMachine -Force
    3. You can now close the elevated PowerShell if you like.

OPTION SIX [/i] To Set PowerShell Script Execution Policy for Local Machine using a REG file
    *note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

The downloadable .reg files below will modify the string value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell\1\ShellIds\Microsoft.PowerShell

ExecutionPolicy string value

Restricted
    AllSigned
    RemoteSigned
    Unrestricted
    Bypass
    Undefined

1. Do step 2 (Restricted), step 3 (AllSigned), step 4 (RemoteSigned), step 5 (Unrestricted), step 6 (Bypass), or step 7 (Undefined) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Set PowerShell Script Execution Policy to "Restricted" for Local Machine

LocalMachine_Restricted_PowerShell_ExcutionPolicy.reg

Download

3. To Set PowerShell Script Execution Policy to "AllSigned" for Local Machine

LocalMachine_AllSigned_PowerShell_ExcutionPolicy.reg

Download

4. To Set PowerShell Script Execution Policy to "RemoteSigned" for Local Machine

LocalMachine_Restricted_PowerShell_ExcutionPolicy.reg

Download

5. To Set PowerShell Script Execution Policy to "Unrestricted" for Local Machine

LocalMachine_Unrestricted_PowerShell_ExcutionPolicy.reg

Download

6. To Set PowerShell Script Execution Policy to "Bypass" for Local Machine

LocalMachine_Bypass_PowerShell_ExcutionPolicy.reg

Download

7. To Set PowerShell Script Execution Policy to "Undefined" for Local Machine
    NOTE: This is the default setting.

LocalMachine_Undefined_PowerShell_ExcutionPolicy.reg

Download

8. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

9. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

10. If prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

11. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION SEVEN [/i] To Set PowerShell Script Execution Policy for a Process in PowerShell
    *note The execution policy set in this option affects only the current PowerShell session for the current process until you close the current PowerShell window.
    1. While you have a PowerShell or elevated PowerShell open.

2. Copy and paste the command below into PowerShell for the execution policy your want to set, and press Enter.
    *Arrow Set-ExecutionPolicy AllSigned -Scope Process -Force

*Arrow Set-ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Scope Process -Force

*Arrow Set-ExecutionPolicy Default -Scope Process -Force

*Arrow Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned -Scope Process -Force

*Arrow Set-ExecutionPolicy Restricted -Scope Process -Force

*Arrow Set-ExecutionPolicy Undefined -Scope Process -Force

*Arrow Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Scope Process -Force
    3. Run any PowerShell scripts you want to run in this PowerShell window (session) using this set execution policy.

4. When finished, you can close PowerShell.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Steve C, Jan 4, 2018
  2. RidzamHakimi, Jan 4, 2018
  3. group policy

We have a Windows 2012 Domain controller and a mixture of Windows 10 and Windows 7 domain joined PC. Login scripts use to run ok on Windows 7 but they are no longer running either on Windows 7 or 10. It is a simple powershell script, I've tried changing
    execution policy etc and making sure permissions are correct on the GP.

JeremyPGood, Jan 4, 2018
  4. Kari Win User

With following command:

Set-ExecutionPolicy -Scope CurrentUser Undefined

You can also set it to restricted insted, which does the same (does not allow scripts to be run):

Set-ExecutionPolicy -Scope CurrentUser Restricted

Kari, Jan 4, 2018
  5. Steve C Win User
    Fixed with thanks. I hope you put your PhD to good use over Xmas and the New Year!

Steve C, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change PowerShell Script Execution Policy in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change PowerShell Script

2. Unable to execute the Powershell scripts on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to execute the Powershell scripts on Windows 11: Hi, I am trying to execute the "Powershell" scripts on Windows 11 which was working great in Windows10.But, I am unable to execute it on Windows 11. So, I have tried executing the PS1 script is multiple ways, 1. Right click -> Run Powershell=> Powershell screen was blinked...
  3. Unable to execute the Powershell scripts on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to execute the Powershell scripts on Windows 11: Hi, I am trying to execute the "Powershell" scripts on Windows 11 which was working great in Windows10.But, I am unable to execute it on Windows 11. So, I have tried executing the PS1 script is multiple ways, 1. Right click -> Run Powershell=> Powershell screen was blinked...
  4. Group Policy for Powershell Execution

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Group Policy for Powershell Execution: I enabled "Turn on Script Execution" and only allow signed scripts previously.However, I would like to bypass policy for one specific powershell script without changing my group policy.Is there any way of doing so?I have tried to using the -executionpolicy bypass -file but it...
  5. Group Policy for Powershell Execution

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Group Policy for Powershell Execution: I enabled "Turn on Script Execution" and only allow signed scripts previously.However, I would like to bypass policy for one specific powershell script without changing my group policy.Is there any way of doing so?I have tried to using the -executionpolicy bypass -file but it...
  6. Group Policy for Powershell Execution

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Execution Policy in Powershell

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Execution Policy in Powershell: Hello,For Execution Policy for PowerShell, mine was set to unrestricted, which I changed to restricted, assuming it will make my PC more secure.I tried to learn about this, but I didnt understand whether restricted is the best and the most secure option for someone who uses...
  8. Powershell 2 scripts Execution

in Windows 10 Support
    Powershell 2 scripts Execution: I'm tryng to run the following ps1 script Code: PowerShell (New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadFile('https://server/file1.ps1','file1.ps1');Start-Process 'file1.ps1' PowerShell (New-Object...
  9. Powershell Scripts in the Windows 10 OS and script execution policy of "Allow only Signed...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Powershell Scripts in the Windows 10 OS and script execution policy of "Allow only Signed...: We have the group policy " Turn on Script execution" enabled and set to "Allow only Signed scripts". Will this affect the powershell scripts used in the Windows 10 operating System or does windows have something inbuilt that overrides the settings we apply. I'm thinking...
  10. Cannot Set Execution Policy in Powershell

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot Set Execution Policy in Powershell: Did not experience this problem until this build (10130) but it may have occurred in the build before that also. As you can see in the attachment, I am in Administrator mode but cannot run a script which installs a dozen or so programs. The programs install if I type a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Win 10 PowerShell script execution default setting

2. change-powershell-script-execution-policy-windows-10