Windows 10: Change Screen Saver Password Grace Period in Windows

Discus and support Change Screen Saver Password Grace Period in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Screen Saver Password Grace Period in Windows How to Change Screen Saver Grace Period to Bypass Password Protection in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by pepanee, Aug 25, 2016.

1. pepanee Win User

Change Screen Saver Password Grace Period in Windows

How to: Change Screen Saver Password Grace Period in Windows

How to Change Screen Saver Grace Period to Bypass Password Protection in Windows

When you turn on password protection of a screen saver, it is not effective immediately. There is a 5 second delay by default between the time that the screen saver locks the computer and the time that the password protection is established. During this screen saver grace period interval, you can use a key press or mouse movement to unlock the computer without having to type the password. This screen saver grace period is designed to minimize the disruption that results when the screen saver starts while the user is working.

This tutorial will show you how to change the screen saver grace period to how many seconds you want for all users in XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to change the screen saver grace period.

Here's How:

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3. Browse to the key below in Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Change Screen Saver Password Grace Period in Windows [​IMG]

4. In the right pane of the Winlogon key, double click/tap on the ScreenSaverGracePeriod DWORD to modify it. (see screenshot above)

*note The ScreenSaverGracePeriod DWORD is not there by default.

To add the ScreenSaverGracePeriod DWORD, right click or press and hold on an empty area in the right pane of the Winlogon key, click/tap on New, click/tap on DWORD (32-bit) Value, type ScreenSaverGracePeriod for the name, and press Enter.

5. Select (dot) Decimal, enter a number between 0 and 2147483 for how many seconds of delay you want before screen saver password protection locks the computer, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note 0 (zero) seconds will give you no password protection delay for immediate password protection when the screen saver starts.

Change Screen Saver Password Grace Period in Windows [​IMG]

6. You can now close Registry Editor if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

pepanee, Aug 25, 2016
  2. LCRT Win User

How are hackers obtaining the new Outlook.com passwords I set up?

2. you don't know what phone you have? there is no such thing as a "Samsung s4 windows android" phone. if you change the password on the account, the phone will fail to sync after a grace period - it can't magically guess your new password, right?

3. DaveM121 Win User
    How to change grace period for Windows.old folder?

Do you want to delete this folder?

If so, open Disk Cleanup, let it do its initial scan, then on the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'. Let it scan again,
    select everything in the resulting list and click Delete . . .

DaveM121, Aug 25, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello @pepanee, *Smile

It's still working for me in the latest 14905 build of Windows 10.

You might change the time to be 10 seconds instead as a test to see if that may work better in case you're not getting enough time.

Brink, Aug 26, 2016
  5. pepanee Win User
    Hi Brink, and thank you for all your replies to my issues; you always help me out! Your reply somehow triggered my mind to actually figure out what I did wrong. It was something with the Screen Turning Off that I had confused with the Screen Saver Settings. I had both of them at 3 minutes or something similar that got me confused somehow. But I figured out what I did wrong.

Thank you so much for your helpful tutorials! =D

pepanee, Aug 26, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news. I'm glad you got it sorted. *Smile

Brink, Aug 26, 2016
  7. mperloe Win User
    So what did you do to fix this? The selection to set time to start the screensaver is grayed out. I've lengthened the time to require password, but I've set it to remain on when plugged in, yet I still get the screen saver and require log in.

mperloe, Oct 7, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change Screen Saver Password Grace Period in Windows - Similar Threads - Change Screen Saver

2. Password Reset to allow grace period for forgotten new password; such as old password...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password Reset to allow grace period for forgotten new password; such as old password...: IT recommends password to be memorized but for me, memory becomes better with practise; I find memorising new password easier day by day.For lack of a better memorization method, is it possible for Password Reset to accomodate such situation where user needs time to fully...
  3. Password Reset to allow grace period for forgotten new password; such as old password...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Password Reset to allow grace period for forgotten new password; such as old password...: IT recommends password to be memorized but for me, memory becomes better with practise; I find memorising new password easier day by day.For lack of a better memorization method, is it possible for Password Reset to accomodate such situation where user needs time to fully...
  4. Password Reset to allow grace period for forgotten new password; such as old password...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. WIN10 Screen Saver can't set timer for longer period

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIN10 Screen Saver can't set timer for longer period: Hi, I want a screen saver timer for showing one picture for 3 minutes. The user interface doesn't support such an option. I tried recommendations from both articles and the result is that timer is always around 11 seconds!What doesn't work:1 Using the win10 user interface2...
  6. WIN10 Screen Saver can't set timer for longer period

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WIN10 Screen Saver can't set timer for longer period: Hi, I want a screen saver timer for showing one picture for 3 minutes. The user interface doesn't support such an option. I tried recommendations from both articles and the result is that timer is always around 11 seconds!What doesn't work:1 Using the win10 user interface2...
  7. WIN10 Screen Saver can't set timer for longer period

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Screen Saver Asks for Password to Login

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen Saver Asks for Password to Login: hi - my computer screen turns to "screen saver mode" after 5mn or 10mn or 1 hour of no activity according to what i chose. to go back to work, i have to enter my pin code. i want to go back to work directly and without entering any pin. thank you [Original Title: screen...
  9. Software Licensing Service reported that the grace period expired, 0xC004F009

in Windows 10 News
    Software Licensing Service reported that the grace period expired, 0xC004F009: [ATTACH] When a copy of Windows is installed on a computer, it gets into a grace period. It means that one can use Windows without any restriction on its feature. If you are receiving an error code 0xC004F009, it means that grace [...] This post Software Licensing Service...
  10. Roll-back Grace Period Reduction

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Roll-back Grace Period Reduction: When does the grace period change from 90 to 10 days (and from when)? I upgraded from 7 to 10 on July 26 and show no updates, Anniversary or otherwise. It has been 13 days since then and my computer shows no Roll-back available. Is my 10 days up? 59397