Windows 10: Change Screen Saver Settings in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Screen Saver Settings in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Screen Saver Settings in Windows 10 How to Change Screen Saver Settings in Windows 10 A screen saver is a moving picture or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by mdrew, Jan 28, 2016.

1. mdrew Win User

Change Screen Saver Settings in Windows 10

How to: Change Screen Saver Settings in Windows 10

How to Change Screen Saver Settings in Windows 10

A screen saver is a moving picture or pattern that displays on the screen(s) of your PC after you have not been active on the PC for specified period of time to wait. Screen savers were originally used to save older, monochromatic monitors from damage, but now they are mainly a way to personalize your PC or enhance its security by offering password protection.

Windows comes with several screen savers. You can also use the Photos screen saver to create your own screen savers from personal pictures that you've saved in your Photos library. There are screen savers available to download from the web like from WinCustomize - Free Screen Saver Gallery.

This tutorial will show you how to change your screen saver settings to turn on or off screen saver and password protection on resume in Windows 10.

*note To turn on screen saver, select any screen saver (step 3) other than (None), select a wait time (step 6), and check or uncheck On resume, display logon screen (step 7).

*note To turn off screen saver, select (None) under "Screen saver"(step 3), and uncheck On resume, display logon screen (step 7).

*note To show the lock screen instead of a screen saver, select (None) under "Screen saver" (step 3), check On resume, display logon screen (step 7), and select a wait time (step 6).

*tip To stop a screen saver and return to your desktop, move your mouse, press a key on the keyboard, or touch the screen if it's a touchscreen.

EXAMPLE: Screen Saver Settings

Change Screen Saver Settings in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Here's How:

1. Open Settings, click/tap on the Personalization icon, click/tap on Lock screen on the left side, and click/tap on the Screen saver settings link at the bottom of the right side. (see screenshot below)

*tip If you like, you can also press the Win+R keys to open Run, enter the command below into Run, and click/tap on OK to directly open Screen Saver Settings.

*Arrow rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,,1

2. Do the steps below.

3. Choose or Change Screen Saver
    A) Select a screen saver you want in the Screen saver drop down menu. (see screenshot below)

4. Change Settings of Selected Screen Saver
    A) Click/tap on the Settings button. (see screenshot below)

B) Choose the settings you want for the selected screen saver, and click/tap on OK. Some screen savers will not have any settings available for it. (see screenshots below)

5. Preview Screen Saver
    A) Click/tap on Preview to see what your screen saver will look like, before clicking OK in step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

6. Select Idle Time to Wait before showing Screen Saver
    A) In the Wait drop down menu, select how many minutes you want Windows to wait while you are inactive on the PC before showing the selected screen saver. (see screenshot below)

7. Turn On or Off Password Protection on Resume from Screen Saver
    A) Check (turn on) or uncheck (turn off) the On resume, display logon screen box. (see screenshot below)

8. When finished, click/tap on OK.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

mdrew, Jan 28, 2016
  2. mo golf Win User

Problem with Screen Saver display on windows 10

Old title: Screen Saver on windows 10

I updated from windows 8 to 10 and now I am having problems with the screen saver not showing pictures on a full screen. Any suggestions? I have tried changing the resolution but it is set at the highest.

mo golf, Jan 28, 2016
  3. Windows 10 sleeps after every 1 minutes

Check your screen saver!

I had this problem too. I trouble-shot and changed every power setting I could find. However the problem was that the SCREEN SAVER in my new Windows 10 computer had come set to 1 minute! To find the screen saver (which is NOT with the power settings),
    open your control panel. Select Personalization. Now select Screen Saver, which may be one of the icons along the bottom of the window. Now you can set your screen saver to come on after some more reasonable amount of time.

It's kind of amazing and annoying how hidden the screen saver choices were.

JanElliott_1969, Jan 28, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello mdrew, *Smile

I don't understand what you want to know about step 10. Please provide more details.

Brink, Jan 28, 2016
  5. mdrew Win User
    whoops. You nailed it in #10. I need to read better. Feel free to delete these posts. Thanks Brink. Loving tenforums btw.

mdrew, Jan 28, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That's ok. I'm just glad it was able to help. *Smile

Brink, Jan 28, 2016
  7. mdrew Win User
    mdrew, Jan 28, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Great news. It's fine. *Smile

Brink, Jan 28, 2016
  9. paj692 Win User
    Brink, help! Please. I'm looking for a registry tweak for step 10 above.
    I'd like to click one icon and add or remove the check mark for On resume, display logon screen. Obviously one .reg file to turn it on, and one reg file to turn it off would be appropriate, but I can't find the darn registry key. Any help would be appreciated. All the tweaks I've tried were for previous versions of Windows and don't work with Windows 10 (free 64 bit version) Thanks

paj692, Mar 6, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello paj692, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

You could use a group policy setting to toggle this. Check the On resume, display logon screen box to have it turned on, then use the group policy .reg files bellow to toggle enable/disable.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop

ScreenSaverIsSecure

0 = disabled
    (delete) = enabled

Enable_screen_saver_password_protection.reg

Disable_screen_saver_password_protection.reg

(To undo the above if needed)
    Undo_screen_saver_password_protection_policy.reg

Brink, Mar 6, 2016
  11. paj692 Win User
    Thanks Brink for the speedy reply. That was just like one of the tweaks I'd seen for a previous version of Windows. It neither places a check mark in the box or removes a check mark from the box, but I'm going to see if it worked anyway. I just figured I had the wrong key. Thanks anyway.

paj692, Mar 6, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It won't check/uncheck the box, but will enable or disable the box instead.

This way you can check the box, then enable or disable it as you like to effectively turn it on and off. Think of it like leaving a lamp turned on, and then unplugging an plugging it to turn it on and off instead for a workaround.

Brink, Mar 6, 2016
  13. paj692 Win User

Sorry I didn't make it clear what I was after. I have saved screensaver properties dialog on my desktop as a link and can open it and place a checkmark or not all I want. What I really want is to cause a checkmark to appear or disappear, thus either requiring a password to be entered or not to be entered without opening any dialogs or running any msc's. I'd like a registry tweak to place a checkmark there and thus to require a password on wake, or to remove the checkmark, thus not requiring a password on wake. Can this be easily accomplished?

paj692, Mar 7, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That's basically what I posted will do for you, but enable/disable instead of on/off. I'm not aware of any other way.

Brink, Mar 7, 2016
  15. paj692 Win User
    I tried what you suggested and it didn't have any effect at all. The unchecked on resume, display logon screen opened up to the desktop after I applied the fix you suggested. And the checkmarked on resume, display logon screen opened to the logon screen after I applied the fix you suggested. Are you sure that is the right registry key for windows 10 64bit? I mean when I place a checkmark there, does the value change from 0 to one? and when I remove the checkmark does the value of that key change from one to 0? Thanks for all your quick replies.

paj692, Mar 7, 2016
Thema:

1. Change Screen Saver Settings in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Screen Saver

2. Bug in "Screen Saver Settings"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bug in "Screen Saver Settings": If a user does not have any image files in their "Libraries\Pictures" folder, the user is given a repeating error message in "Screen Saver Settings". See the screenshot below. [ATTACH]...
  3. Screen saver setting no work

Screen saver setting no work: When the screen saver option loads, it doesn't work, same with backgrounds. Waiting does not work.[IMG][IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-saver-setting-no-work/cd39cf15-1168-4cc2-9642-7c1ad7356f2a
  4. how to change screen saver settings

how to change screen saver settings: want to change amount of time before screen saver turns on. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-screen-saver-settings/0b1bf1e5-ce2b-499b-b89a-477afd7195cc
  5. Changing Screen Saver settings on PC

Changing Screen Saver settings on PC: There must be some way to increase the time to allow Windows update t****sh the desktop goes to bubbles and turn to black and blocks the update to finish. the circling little dots are not enough to keep it open long enough to install. ***Original title: How do I change...
  6. Screen saver settings greyed out in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Screen saver settings greyed out in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If you are trying to set a screen saver on your computer, but the Screen saver settings are greyed out in Windows 10, then this post will show you how to fix it. When this happens, you might not be [...] This post Screen saver settings greyed out in Windows...
  7. Screen Saver Settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screen Saver Settings: I have a Windows 10 version 1809 and when doing some testing on screen saver settings for 2 minutes before going to a screen saver with a password. on my test computer via GPO one of the GP spilled over to my production computer. I have removed the GPO and the from the...
  8. Screen Saver Settings

Screen Saver Settings: My Screen Saver Settings get reset every time I reboot. Specially, the "tick" in "on resume, Display log-on screen" gets unticked so that my screen doesn't lock. Any idea how I can stop this happening?...
  9. Windows 10 screen saver settings

Windows 10 screen saver settings: How do I add transition effects on a "screen saver slideshow" for Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-screen-saver-settings/091b4436-9d0b-4452-8f1e-fcee0c94e7af
  10. Create Screen Saver Settings Shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Screen Saver Settings Shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Screen Saver Settings Shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a Screen Saver Settings Shortcut in Windows 10 A screen saver is a moving picture or pattern that displays on the screen(s) of your PC after you have not been active on the PC for specified period...