Windows 10: Change Search Index Location in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Search Index Location in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Search Index Location in Windows 10 How to Change Storage Location of Search Index in Windows 10 [img] Information By default,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Search Index Location in Windows 10

How to: Change Search Index Location in Windows 10

How to Change Storage Location of Search Index in Windows 10

Change Search Index Location in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information By default, Windows will use the file properties, and file contents you want indexed.

The index uses the Windows Search service and runs as the Searchindexer.exe process in the background. The index will automatically rebuild and update for changes made to the included locations since the last index rebuild to increase search result accuracy. By default, the indexing speed is reduced due to user activity. If the computer is running idle, then the indexing speed will go back to full speed to finish indexing faster.

The search index data files are stored in the %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Search\Data folder location by default. You can select to store the index to any internal location you like. You will not be able to select to use removable media, network, or external locations as the index location.

This tutorial will show you how to change the storage location of the search index data files in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to change the storage location of the search index.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change Search Index Location in Indexing Options
    • Option Two: To Change Search Index Location in Registry Editor

EXAMPLE: Default index location

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Search Index Location in Indexing Options
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), click/tap on the Indexing Options icon, and close the Control Panel.

2. Click/tap on the Advanced button. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Select new button under Index Location. (see screenshot below)

4. Browse to and select the new location (ex: "D") you want for the index data files, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Note The new location is where the Search/Data folders will be stored at.

5. Click/tap on OK to apply. (see screenshot below)

6. Click/tap on Close. (see screenshot below step 2)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change Search Index Location in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open the Run dialog, type regedit, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3. Navigate to the location of the key below in Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search

4. In the right pane of the Windows Search key, double click/tap on the DataDirectory string value to modify it. (see screenshot above)

5. Type the full path of the location you want to store the index at, add \Search\Data\ to the end of this path, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

6. Close Registry Editor.

7. Stop and start the Windows Search service to apply. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Oct 22, 2015
  2. Arul_D Win User

Windows 10 search not indexing Outlook 2013, no search results

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in using Windows 10.

Let's diagnose the issue by referring to the following suggestion and check if that helps you.

First of all, I would suggest you to check if the
    Windows Search
    Service is running in Automatic mode under the list of Windows services. You can follow the steps to check and start the
    Windows Search again:

• Press Windows+R keys to open Run. Type “servces.msc” without quotes and hit
      Enter.
    • From the list of services, locate the Windows Search Support Service
      and Windows Search Service.
    • Right click on the Windows Search Service
      and then click on Properties.
    • Check if the service is running. If not, start the service and change the
      Startup type to Automatic.
    • Follow the same steps to start the Bluetooth service
      and change the startup type to Automatic.
    You can also try the following suggestion.

Run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter. Follow the steps mentioned below.

• Press “Windows key + W”.
    • Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the Search box and hit enter.
    • Select “View all” option from the left panel.
    • Select “Search and Indexing”.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    Hope this information helps you. Please do let us know if you need further assistance.

Arul_D, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Quick Search Not Showing Indexed Locations

Hi,

Since you have already added it in Indexing options, we suggest you to run Indexing troubleshooter to check for possible caused of the issue. To do so, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key.
    • Type Troubleshooting.
    • On the left pane, click View all.
    • Click Search and Indexing.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.
    Let us know how it goes.

Jesebel Ova, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Change Search Index Location in Windows 10

Windows 10 Index locations not all showing up in search

Hello,

There might be some settings missing or corrupted.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to remove the D drive from the indexing and run the indexing troubleshooter.

Follow these steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Press “Windows key + X” to click on “Control Panel”.

• Click on “Troubleshooting” and click on “View all”.

• Click on “Search and Indexing” to run the troubleshooter.

Once this is done, restart the computer and check if this helps.

Method 2:

Re –build the indexing by adding the D drive and verify the result.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Anju Thekkethil, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Jan Del Win User
    Windows 10 indexing / search

Hi Erik,

System conflict is one of the possible reasons why the index built will not function properly. We suggest running the Search and Indexing troubleshooter by following these steps to resolve your issue:

• Open Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooting.
    • Click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on View all.
    • Select Search and Indexing and select the proper scenario that you are experiencing on indexing and click
      Next for the troubleshooting to begin.
    Update us with the outcome so we can provide you further assistance.

Jan Del, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Jessen P Win User
    Windows 10 Mail app and Index Search

Hi Bahrudin,

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community.

If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks to see whether you have
    the correct permissions to search all the directories on your computer.

Run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with search and indexing of files and folders. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check the status of the issue. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter.

• Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
    Please revert if you face any issues with Windows in future.

Jessen P, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Change Search Index Location in Windows 10

1. Change Search Index Location in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Search Index

2. Change Selected Indexed Locations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Selected Indexed Locations: Hello, I was unchecking folders that I don't want to show up when searching windows, and I came across a folder location checked under index locations "CSC://{S-1-5-21-#####" bunch of numbers. I attached screenshot. It says to this location not available, uncheck to stop find...
  3. Change Selected Indexed Locations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Selected Indexed Locations: Hello, I was unchecking folders that I don't want to show up when searching windows, and I came across a folder location checked under index locations "CSC://{S-1-5-21-#####" bunch of numbers. I attached screenshot. It says to this location not available, uncheck to stop find...
  4. OneDrive doesn't appear as a index search location

in Cortana
    OneDrive doesn't appear as a index search location: Search for a file in Windows 10 does not provide any results though the search goes on forever. I have rebuilt the index several times but to no avail. Also OneDrive doesn't appear as a index search location...
  5. Windows 10 not searching or indexing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 not searching or indexing: No indexing, so I sfc /scannow ,dism etc, rebuild, re-ran windows 20H2,restoro,restore, and still indexing will not come around. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-not-searching-or-indexing/db14f97d-377c-4769-8105-3edae83ce2b5
  6. Cannot change search index locations to include C-drive

in Cortana
    Cannot change search index locations to include C-drive: Searching any C-drive folders on my machine was taking a long time and not returning any results always returns "No items match your search", so I am attempting to change the indexing options to include my C-drive. However, when I select it on the Indexed Locations dialog,...
  7. Indexed Locations

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Indexed Locations: Does anybody knows why this "csc://...." thing is in my indexed locations? I cant't get rid of it and everytime i uncheck it it comes again checked. Also when i scroll the mouse over it, it tells me that the location is not available. Help [ATTACH]...
  8. Changing Indexing and Contacts folder locations.

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Indexing and Contacts folder locations.: I'd appreciate opinions about the wisdom of moving the Indexing and Contacts folders off the OS partition. I once tried it with the system default Downloads, Music, and Picturers folders, and it caused a mess. As far as the Contacts folder is concerned, the system doesn't...
  9. Windows 10 Add NAS locations to search index

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Add NAS locations to search index: Hmm. Am I the only one thinking this would we a nice thing? I seem to be unable to add any UNC/NAS drive location to the Windows Search Index. I read only in previous 32bit versions there was an "Add UNC Path" tab within the index applet but not for 64bit. What gives? Do we...
  10. Add or Remove Search Index Locations in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Search Index Locations in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Search Index Locations in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Locations for Search Index in Windows 10 By default, Windows will use the file properties, and file contents you want indexed. The index uses the Windows Search service and runs as the...