Windows 10: Change Security Key PIN to Log into Apps in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Security Key PIN to Log into Apps in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Security Key PIN to Log into Apps in Windows 10 How to Change Security Key PIN to Log into Apps in Windows 10 A security key (ex:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Aditya19, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Aditya19 Win User

Change Security Key PIN to Log into Apps in Windows 10

How to: Change Security Key PIN to Log into Apps in Windows 10

How to Change Security Key PIN to Log into Apps in Windows 10

A security key (ex: YubiKey) is a physical device that you can use instead of your user name and password to sign in. Since its used in addition to a fingerprint or PIN, even if someone has your security key, they wont be able to sign in without the PIN or fingerprint that you create. Security keys are usually available for purchase from retailers that sell computer accessories.

There are different types of security keys that you can use, like a USB key that you plug in to your device or an NFC key that you tap on an NFC reader. Make sure to familiarize yourself with the type of security key you have by reading the instruction manual from the manufacturer.

Starting with set up a security key straight from Settings that you can log you into applications.

When you set up a security key, you add a FIDO2 PIN that helps keep it safe. Your security key PIN can be changed or reset if needed.

This tutorial will show you how to change the PIN for your security key that can log you into applications for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Change Security Key PIN in Windows 10 Settings
    • Option Two: Change Security Key PIN with YubiKey Manager

OPTION ONE [/i] Change Security Key PIN in Windows 10 Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Accounts icon.

2. Click/tap on Sign-in options on the left side, and click/tap on Security Key under Manage how you sign in to your device on the right side. (see screenshot below)

Change Security Key PIN to Log into Apps in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Click/tap on the Manage button. (see screenshot below)

4. Insert your security key (ex: YubiKey) into the USB port. (see screenshot below)

5. Touch either the button or gold disk on your blinking security key. (see screenshot below)

6. Click/tap on the Change button under Security Key PIN. (see screenshot below)

7. Enter your current security key PIN, enter the new security key PIN, enter the new security PIN again to confirm, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

8. Click/tap on Close. (see screenshot below)

9. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Change Security Key PIN with YubiKey Manager

*note This option will only work with a YubiKey security key.
    1. If you haven't already, you will need to download and install YubiKey Manager.

2. Open the YubiKey Manager app.

3. Insert your YubiKey into the port (ex: USB) on your PC. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on Applications on the toolbar, and click/tap on FIDO2. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on the Change PIN button under FIDO2 PIN. (see screenshot below)

6. Enter your current security key PIN, enter the new security key PIN, enter the new security PIN again to confirm, and click/tap on Change PIN. (see screenshot below)

*note The FIDO2 PIN must be at least 4 characters.

7. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

8. You can now close YubiKey Manager if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Aditya19, Jul 29, 2015

2. Windows 10 Change password to pin

Hi Ana,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

Please share the details.

• Are you able to log in to your desktop?

• Do you see any error code along with the error message?
    I suggest you to go through the below steps and check if it helps.

Follow these steps to set up a PIN on your Windows User Account:

• Press the Windows +S key combination to display the Search box.

• Type the word pin into the Search box, then click
      Set up PIN sign-in.

• Find the “PIN” section and click the Add button.

• Type in the password for your User Account, then click the
      Ok button.

• Select and enter a 4 digit numeric pin, then enter it again for confirmation.

• Exit the PIN setup utility.

From now on you’ll be able to log in to your Windows account by entering your 4 digit PIN instead of your password.

You can change your PIN at any time by following the steps below:

• Press the Windows +S key combination to display the Search box.

• Type the word pin into the Search box, then click Set up PIN sign-in.

• Find the “PIN” section and click the Change button.

• Enter your Windows password, then click the
      Ok button.

• Select and enter a new 4 digit numeric pin, then enter it again for confirmation.

• Click the Finish button.

• Exit the PIN setup utility.
    Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Oct 27, 2019
  3. How do I change the network adapter name? (Windows 10)

Press Windows Key + R, type secpol.msc and press Enter to run it. In Local Security Policy window, go to the Network List Manager Policies in the left pane. Now in the right pane double click on the network name that you want to change. In the Properties windows under the Name section make sure that Name is selected. Now in the input field enter the name that you wish to use for your connection. Click Apply then OK to save the changes. And you might have to log in again or to restart your computer before the changes are applied.

lorraine walsh, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Can't change password to log in windows or add pin

Hello Mathieu,

The issue you are experiencing may have something to do with your profile or with the Windows components of your device. That being said, we will be performing some troubleshooting steps to isolate the cause of this problem. To start, we suggest that you
    change your password via https://account.microsoft.com/. Here's how:

Once done, log in your account to your device using the new password. Please post back with the result for further assistance.

Charianne Per, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Log-in Pin is incorrect after Anniversary update

I had the same issue after my update on Windows 10. I knew that my pin hadn't changed but it was saying it was incorrect. So I said that I forgot my pin and it started going through the steps to reset the pin entered my regular password and when the window popped up to set a new pin I said cancel and then I chose the option to set my pin later. I exited the screen, logged off logged back in, and set up a new pin which happened to be the same pin I had before and it worked. If this still doesn't work I can show step by step screen shots if you need. I have a surface 3 with Windows 10 fully updated 10.0.14393.0

mattman565, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Change Security Key PIN to Log into Apps in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Security Key

2. Impossible to do Security Key PIN

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Impossible to do Security Key PIN: Windows 10 asks me to do the following to authorize a security keyGo to my account--sign in options--security key--manage--insert your security key into the USB port--touch your security key--security key pin you are to put the old PIN here but there is none for my security...
  3. Impossible to do Security Key PIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Impossible to do Security Key PIN: Windows 10 asks me to do the following to authorize a security keyGo to my account--sign in options--security key--manage--insert your security key into the USB port--touch your security key--security key pin you are to put the old PIN here but there is none for my security...
  4. Impossible to do Security Key PIN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Change from PIN to password to log in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change from PIN to password to log in: Forgive me if this has already been asked. I recently fell for the "sign in with a PIN" to log in to Windows. I now feel that this has WEAKENED my security by allowing a 1 in 9999 chance of accessing my system, whereas my previous 20+ character alpha-numeric and Case...
  6. Change from PIN to password to log in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change from PIN to password to log in: Forgive me if this has already been asked. I recently fell for the "sign in with a PIN" to log in to Windows. I now feel that this has WEAKENED my security by allowing a 1 in 9999 chance of accessing my system, whereas my previous 20+ character alpha-numeric and Case...
  7. problems changing log in PIN

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    problems changing log in PIN: How do I change the PIN I use to log-in to my computer? I know that I'm supposed to go to the sign-in options and change it under the "Windows Hello Pin" but it says that the option is unavailable and it asks me to log in to a school or work Microsoft account it doesn't...
  8. Changing PIN without being logged in.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Changing PIN without being logged in.: I'm having trouble logging in to my Microsoft account because I don't remember my pin. When I click on 'forgot my pin', it tells me to change the pin using the settings on the account. However, I am not logged in so I can't. The account I am trying to login to is my second...
  9. Changing the Pin # when logging into my Windows 10 computer

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Changing the Pin # when logging into my Windows 10 computer: How do I change the 4 digit pin number that I use to log into my computer? Thank you, James Bell https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-the-pin-when-logging-into-my-windows-10/26f66501-4818-4984-964b-cdd38aaae828
  10. Set Up Security Key to Log into Apps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set Up Security Key to Log into Apps in Windows 10: How to: Set Up Security Key to Log into Apps in Windows 10 How to Set Up Security Key to Log into Apps in Windows 10 A security key (ex: YubiKey) is a physical device that you can use instead of your user name and password to sign in. Since its used in addition to a...