Windows 10: Change Send to Desktop (create shortcut) Icon in Windows

Discus and support Change Send to Desktop (create shortcut) Icon in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Send to Desktop (create shortcut) Icon in Windows How to Change Send to Desktop (create shortcut) Icon in Windows The drives.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by PeterMac, Apr 16, 2017.

1. PeterMac Win User

Change Send to Desktop (create shortcut) Icon in Windows

How to: Change Send to Desktop (create shortcut) Icon in Windows

How to Change Send to Desktop (create shortcut) Icon in Windows

The drives.

This tutorial will show you how to change the icon for the Send to > Desktop (create shortcut) context menu item to any icon for your account or all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Change Send to > Desktop (create shortcut) Icon for Current User
    • Option Two: Change Send to > Desktop (create shortcut) Icon for All Users

EXAMPLE: Send to > Desktop (create shortcut) default icon

Change Send to Desktop (create shortcut) Icon in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Change Send to > Desktop (create shortcut) Icon for Current User

*note This option will override Option Two.

*note This option will only be applied to the current user, and no other user account on the PC.
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{9E56BE61-C50F-11CF-9A2C-00A0C90A90CE}\DefaultIcon

*note If you do not have a {9E56BE61-C50F-11CF-9A2C-00A0C90A90CE} key, right click on the CLSID key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type {9E56BE61-C50F-11CF-9A2C-00A0C90A90CE} for the name, and press Enter.

*note If you do not have a DefaultIcon key, right click on the {9E56BE61-C50F-11CF-9A2C-00A0C90A90CE} key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type DefaultIcon for the name, and press Enter.

3. In the right pane of the DefaultIcon key, double click/tap on the (Default) string value (REG_SZ) to modify it. (see screenshot above)

4. Type the full path of the .ico file wrapped in quotes you want to use for the icon, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note The default icon is: %SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-110

5. You can now close Registry Editor if you like.

6. sign in to apply.

OPTION TWO [/i] Change Send to > Desktop (create shortcut) Icon for All Users

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

*note If any user uses Option One, it will override this option for their account.
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. If you used Option One, delete the DefaultIcon key located below. (see screenshots below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{9E56BE61-C50F-11CF-9A2C-00A0C90A90CE}\DefaultIcon

3. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{9E56BE61-C50F-11CF-9A2C-00A0C90A90CE}\DefaultIcon

4. Change the owner of the DefaultIcon key to the Administrators group.

5. Change the permissions of the DefaultIcon key to "Allow" Administrators "Full control" of it.

6. In the right pane of the DefaultIcon key, double click/tap on the (Default) string value (REG_SZ) to modify it. (see screenshot above)

7. Type the full path of the .ico file wrapped in quotes you want to use for the icon, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note The .ico file will need to be saved at a location (ex: "C:\Windows" or "C:\Users\Public") that all users have access to. If it's not, the icon may show as a default folder for some users instead.

*note The default icon is: %SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-110

8. You can now close Registry Editor if you like.

9. sign in to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

PeterMac, Apr 16, 2017

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Desktop Shortcut Icons

I tried using Edge that comes with the computer and I can see the logo you are talking about. When I try to drag it to the desktop you can see that I have it but as soon as I drop it the window opens rather than putting the shortcut icon on the desktop.

mik-dav 1500, Oct 27, 2019
  4. XTL
    xTL Win User

Change Send to > Desktop (create shortcut) Icon for Current User

Thank you so much Shawn *Biggrin
    I can confirm that this works perfect!
    I used option 1 and signed out. Result below ^^

5. Flava0ne Win User
    Creating Shortcuts with Batch File

So basically my Batch File will now look like this:

Code: @echo off CreateShortcut.exe "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Notepad.lnk" "C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe"[/quote] Thanks man! *Big Grin Change Send to Desktop (create shortcut) Icon in Windows :D This does exactly what I want done and I'm able to customize the icon for the shortcut without problems. But I'm not quite sure how to use the [icon file] portion you mentioned that it supports. I tried the following Batch File:

Code: @echo off CreateShortcut.exe "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Notepad.lnk" "C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe" "C:\Users\Administrator\Pictures\Notepad.ico"[/quote] It created the shortcut but didn't change the icon.

Flava0ne, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Windows 10 Send to Desktop as Shortcut is missing

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + R keys and Type "shell:sendto" in
      RUN dialog box and press Enter. It'll open "Send To" folder.
    • Now right-click on blank area in the folder and select "New -> Text document". It'll create a text file with the name "New Text Document.txt". Rename this file and set its name to "Desktop (create shortcut).DeskLink".
    • That's it. Now you'll get "Desktop (create shortcut)" option back in "Send To" menu.
    NOTE: Make sure "Hide extensions for known file types" option is disabled in "Folder
    Options"

Hope it helps. Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Change Send to Desktop (create shortcut) Icon in Windows - Similar Threads - Change Send Desktop

2. Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?: I'm working on a software to help blind people use computers, and I'm searching for a way for them to create desktop icons/shortcut to Web sites. Is there a way to do this only using the keyboard ? I tried using the Shift + F10, but this doesn't work if an icon is selected,...
  3. Unable to Send to Desktop - Create Shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Send to Desktop - Create Shortcut: I am creating a new thread since my original problem "Unable to create Desktop Short cut nor New Folder in Windows 10" has been closed as solved. Wanted to report the following for those who responded to the problem: Feedback Report I have logged as Administrator and found...
  4. Cannot send Shortcut to Desktop and cannot create New Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot send Shortcut to Desktop and cannot create New Folders: Hi, I'm using Win 10 Home and have reached the point where I cannot send a shortcut to the Desktop and cannot create new folders. I have checked the system files and found no problems. I'm afraid I'm going to do a reinstall of Windows which scares me. Ztruker asked: You asked...
  5. cannot send shortcut to Desktop and cannot create new folders

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot send shortcut to Desktop and cannot create new folders: Hi all, Appreciate all the welcome posts. I'm using Win 10 Home and have reached the point where I cannot send a shortcut to the Desktop and cannot create new folders. I have checked the system files and found no problems. I'm afraid I'm going to do a reinstall of Windows...
  6. Send to - Desktop (create shortcut)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Send to - Desktop (create shortcut): Basically, i want to remove "send to" from the right click menu and in it's place, just have "Desktop (create shortcut)". So, you right click an icon and can immediately make the shortcut to the desktop without sliding the menu out. i never use any of the other shortcuts and...
  7. Changing Desktop Shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Desktop Shortcut Icons: I have a new computer just 8 days old. I run Windows 10 ver. 1909 and have an office 365 subscription. 2 days ago Windows Update installed its updates and then Office 365 tried to update and it crashed. This has happened to me before a while back on another computer and the...
  8. Changing Web Shortcut Icons on Desktop

in Browsers and Email
    Changing Web Shortcut Icons on Desktop: Hi all! I would like to add some web Shortcuts to my desktop and then change the icon so it shows a graphic for what the item is. I know how to add a web site short to the desktop, but the icon is just generic. For example, say I want to add an web shortcut for Taco Bell...
  9. Need Help With Creating Icons for Desktop Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Need Help With Creating Icons for Desktop Shortcuts: In trying to create desktop shortcuts to websites that have recognizable icons, instead of Microsoft's generic, look-alike ones, I tried to follow this excellent, step-by-step YouTube video which was generously submitted by Edwin, however I got stuck at one point, and don't...
  10. Create Desktop Icon Settings Shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Desktop Icon Settings Shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Desktop Icon Settings Shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create Desktop Icon Settings Shortcut in Windows 10 Desktop Icon Settings allows you to add or remove and change the icon of the common This PC, User's Files, Network, Recycle Bin, and Control Panel...