Windows 10: Change taskbar icons of pinned programs

Discus and support Change taskbar icons of pinned programs in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'd like to change the icon of these icons, but I found no obvious way. [img] 15861 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by kow, Aug 12, 2015.

1. KOW
    kow Win User

Change taskbar icons of pinned programs

I'd like to change the icon of these icons, but I found no obvious way.

Change taskbar icons of pinned programs [​IMG]

:)

2. Change taskbar icon?

You can change the icons for Pinned taskbar shortcuts from this folder:

%Appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

(Type that in Explorer address bar, or Run dialog.)

For Windows installer shortcuts the target can't be changed. In that case, you need to delete the existing shortcut and create a new shortcut for that program manually, and then Pin it to Taskbar.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Aug 12, 2015
  3. Pinning programs to the taskbar

When I pin a program to the taskbar, it does it correctly and the icon is visible and clickable. However, when I click the icon to run the program, the program opens but two icons now become visible on the taskbar: the original pinned program and the
    running program. It does this with Firefox, Musicbee, and almost all of the programs that I pin. Does anyone have a possible solution to this?

BenjaminKitchens, Aug 12, 2015
  4. Traijan Win User

I'm wondering the same, I did the usual of right clicking on the icons, choosing properties then choosing change icon and am then shown that it can't "find" my google chrome program but clicking OK still lets me choose a new icon. However it doesn't actually change the icon on my desktop.

Traijan, Aug 12, 2015
  5. KOW
    kow Win User
    Thanks, I'm one bit further. I didn't realize I can right click the program name on the icon right click menu *Smile Same here, icon change is ignored.

6. Traijan Win User
    There is some funky delay in changing icons on the taskbar. I'm not sure when mine changed, whether it was after a restart or maybe a sleep period or maybe just a period of time.

But it definitely changed: (I changed the Google Chrome icon)

Traijan, Aug 13, 2015
  7. KOW
    kow Win User
    I can confirm, it does change, I put my laptop to sleep and the next day it was updated *Smile

Thema:

1. Change taskbar icons of pinned programs - Similar Threads - Change taskbar icons

2. Generic icons for programs pinned to taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Generic icons for programs pinned to taskbar: Only 3rd party programs icons are not showing, windows' programs icons are showing correctly.I can't add screenshot because your editor here doesn't work as it should....
  3. Generic icons for programs pinned to taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Generic icons for programs pinned to taskbar: Only 3rd party programs icons are not showing, windows' programs icons are showing correctly.I can't add screenshot because your editor here doesn't work as it should....
  4. Taskbar pinned program Icon display single instance wrong Icon.

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar pinned program Icon display single instance wrong Icon.: Here is what I hoped for. A pinned program when clicked just gets underlined and when moused over shows windows active. It does not replicate it self filling the task bar. The shortcut settings pass any parameters to the program when started. I have read a lot about this and...
  5. How to change the taskbar icon for a *running* program?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change the taskbar icon for a *running* program?: By right-clicking a program icon in the taskbar, right-clicking the name of the program in the pop-up, selecting "Properties" then "Change Icon" I was able to change the icon in the taskbar as long as the program isn't running. However, as soon as I start the program the icon...
  6. How to change the taskbar icon for a *running* program?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to change the taskbar icon for a *running* program?: By right-clicking a program icon in the taskbar, right-clicking the name of the program in the pop-up, selecting "Properties" then "Change Icon" I was able to change the icon in the taskbar as long as the program isn't running. However, as soon as I start the program the icon...
  7. Taskbar not showing open programs and pinned icons missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar not showing open programs and pinned icons missing: Hi All of a sudden, my pinned programmes are no longer showing on my taskbar in Windows 10. The icons are also not showing for programmes currently open so I can't right click to pin. Why has this changed, and how do I revert it back to being able to see programmes on the...
  8. Change the icon of a gadget pinned to the taskbar?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change the icon of a gadget pinned to the taskbar?: Using Windows 10's Weather gadget as an example, it directly allows you to pin it to the Start Menu. But I wanted it pinned to the taskbar instead, so I managed to find the menu with all the gadges and was allowed from there to copy a shortcut to the desktop. So far so good....
  9. Pin Program Icon to Taskbar Permanently

in Windows 10 Support
    Pin Program Icon to Taskbar Permanently: As you can see in the picture below, when I click the Firefox icon, it disappears. Instead, I want it to be there permanently. How to achieve this? [img] 86415
  10. Taskbar icons hidden until new program is pinned

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar icons hidden until new program is pinned: I've read many posts about hidden icons or icons showing wrong images etc, but my problem seem to be different from others. When I log on after a reboot, I only see the search icon and the Task View icon in the task bar even though I have several other programs pinned. If I...