Windows 10: Change taskbar items to display only filename not the program name

Discus and support Change taskbar items to display only filename not the program name in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; some programs display the filename before the program name in the taskbar eg notepad and MSword2013 some programs display the program name first eg... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Ibwaheemi, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Ibwaheemi Win User

Change taskbar items to display only filename not the program name

some programs display the filename before the program name in the taskbar eg notepad and MSword2013

some programs display the program name first eg powerISO + most others

because my taskbar space is limited i need only the program name displayed next to the program icon.

it is REALLY ANOYYING if i have several copies of the same program running at once and i can only see the program name in the taskbar

how can i do this? please help

:)

Ibwaheemi, Dec 9, 2015
  2. HelenD12 Win User

Windows 10 Taskbar has changed

Instead of just displaying icons, my taskbar now displays the icon and name of the open program. I have no idea how to fix this to simply displaying icons only. Need help, please!

Thanks,

HD

HelenD12, Dec 9, 2015
  3. pythram Win User
    Displayed Office Program Name in Taskbar

This is about how the Taskbar displays the name of documents as below.

"<Program Icon> Microsoft Excel - <Document Name>"

But, of course, the taskbar buttons aren't long enough to display the name of the document fully because it's being taken up by "Micorosft Excel".

I'm really just curious to know why or if anyone has ever brought up that when using Office Programs (such as Word or Excel) the name of the program appears in the taskbar before the name of the document you're using. No offense, Microsoft, but
    I recognize the icons and know which programs are open. I want the name of the document displayed first so I know what specific document I'm clicking on.

Outlook doesn't do this, it will display the current open folder and the name of email it's active for (i.e. "<Program Icon> Inbox - <email address>"). Chrome displays the name of the current open tab and then the name of the program (i.e. "Microsoft.com
    - Google Chrome").

I work with a lot of Excel spreadsheets and Word documents (roughly two each open at the same time) and it's beyond frustrating that I can't see the name of the document I'm clicking. But, by the goodness that is Microsoft, I know it's a Microsoft Excel
    file!

Is there a way to change this that I'm not aware of? Or can someone in development just acknowledge this? Thanks!!!

pythram, Dec 9, 2015
  4. philc43 Win User

Thanks for your question, interesting observation but I am not aware of any way to change this.

The display on the Taskbar reflects what is seen in the windows Title Bar and this is controlled by the app itself.

philc43, Dec 9, 2015
  5. Ibwaheemi Win User
    there must be an easy fix to this in the registry. its hard to accept this cannot be altered easily

Ibwaheemi, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Change taskbar items to display only filename not the program name - Similar Threads - Change taskbar items

2. Uninstall or change program - now only shows name and size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Uninstall or change program - now only shows name and size: I went to uninstall some newly installed software. In the uninstall screen, it only shows the name of the program and the size. It does not show the date or type. I used to be able to sort by date to find new software, but it doesn't show the date. How can I get the date...
  3. Open programs in taskbar only show names

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Open programs in taskbar only show names: Previously, when I hover my mouse over the icon of an open program in taskbar, it shows the process above it. Nowadays, it only shows the name. I have selected "Always, hide labels" in "Combine taskbar buttons" in Settings and it still occurs. Please help me....
  4. Open programs in taskbar only show names

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open programs in taskbar only show names: Previously, when I hover my mouse over the icon of an open program in taskbar, it shows the process above it. Nowadays, it only shows the name. I have selected "Always, hide labels" in "Combine taskbar buttons" in Settings and it still occurs. Please help me....
  5. Open programs in taskbar only show names

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Filename Changes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Filename Changes: How to rename file names replacing underscores/dashes with spaces?I've got multiple files in folder, they have - in their names. How can I change the dashes with spaces in those file names? is there any way? without any paid application....
  7. Filename Changes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Filename Changes: How to rename file names replacing underscores/dashes with spaces?I've got multiple files in folder, they have - in their names. How can I change the dashes with spaces in those file names? is there any way? without any paid application....
  8. Filename Changes

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. Windows 10 pinned taskbar items display name and 2.

Windows 10 pinned taskbar items display name and 2.: [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH] Whilst doing particularly nothing and the mouse pointer just hovering randomly somewhere on the taskbar for the first time I noticed the name of the tile is followed by 2. Only on tiles I have installed not system tiles like this computer, notepad...
  10. Control Panel Programs & Features only displays Name & Size

Control Panel Programs & Features only displays Name & Size: Control Panel Programs & Features only displays Name & Size https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/control-panel-programs-features-only-displays-name/b9c76f54-0442-4326-924d-ace400ef2016

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how do I change filename display in taskbar

2. taskbar only filename