Windows 10: Change Taskbar Thumbnail Threshold to Show List in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Taskbar Thumbnail Threshold to Show List in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Taskbar Thumbnail Threshold to Show List in Windows 10 How to Change Threshold of Taskbar Thumbnails to Show List in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Roman Krejci, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Change Taskbar Thumbnail Threshold to Show List in Windows 10

How to: Change Taskbar Thumbnail Threshold to Show List in Windows 10

How to Change Threshold of Taskbar Thumbnails to Show List in Windows 10

When you hover over the icon or button on the taskbar of opened items, it will show either thumbnail previews or a list of the opened windows or tabs for that item.

The taskbar will only show thumbnails of so many opened windows or tabs for an item (ex: Internet Explorer) before the threshold is reached and will then automatically show a list afterwards for that item.

The taskbar threshold limit will vary depending on what you have set for your DPI scaling level.

Here are some default threshold limits based on screen resolution using default DPI:
    • 800x600 = 7 tabs or windows open for threshold
    • 1024x768 = 10 tabs or windows open for threshold
    • 1920x1080 = 16 tabs or windows open for threshold
    This tutorial will show you how to change the threshold after which taskbar thumbnails of opened items show as a list instead for your account in Windows 10.

EXAMPLE: Taskbar showing thumbnail previews and list

Change Taskbar Thumbnail Threshold to Show List in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Here's How:

1. Press the Win+R keys to open the Run dialog, type regedit, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. In the left pane of the Registry Editor, browse to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband

3. Do step 4 (change) or step 5 (default) below for what you would like to do.

4. To Change Taskbar Thumbnail Threshold
    A) In the right pane of the Taskband key, double click/tap on the NumThumbnails DWORD to modify it. (see screenshot below step 2)

*note If you don't have a NumThumbnails DWORD, then right click or press and hold on an empty area in the right pane of the Taskband key, click/tap on New and DWORD (32-bit) Value, type NumThumbnails, and press Enter.

B) Select (dot) Decimal, type a number you want for the taskbar thumbnail threshold, click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

*note If you type 0 (zero) it will be the same as 1 to show in list mode after you open two instances. 0 will no longer disable thumbnails.

5. To Restore Default Taskbar Thumbnail Threshold
    A) In the right pane of the Taskband key, right click or press and hold on the NumThumbnails DWORD, and click/tap on Delete. (see screenshot below step 2)

B) Click/tap on Yes to confirm, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

6. Close Registry Editor.

7. sign in to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Roman Krejci, Sep 23, 2015
  2. Sambob101 Win User

Taskbar not showing popup icons for multiple windows

I found out how to fix this. There is setting where you can change the maximum number of thumbnails it shows before going into list view. Look at this site if anyone else has the same problem: Change Taskbar Thumbnail Threshold to Show List in Windows 10

Sambob101, Sep 23, 2015
  3. Andre Da Costa, Sep 23, 2015
  4. snminhduc Win User

Change Taskbar Thumbnail Threshold to Show List in Windows 10

Thank you! It works before but when I create and log in by a new account. It does not showlist anymore

snminhduc, Sep 7, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello snminhduc, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

This is not a global setting that is applied to all users. It needs to be set per account.

Is it not showing for the new account what you meant?

Brink, Sep 7, 2016
  6. snminhduc Win User
    Hello! it's work before for the old account, but when I create a new DWORD for new windows account, it does not work anymore. I have tried restart explorer, even restart my computer

snminhduc, Sep 7, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I just tested in build 14915, and it appears that this option may no longer work to change the taskbar thumbnail threshold.

I'll keep testing and playing to see if I may be able to figure something out.

Brink, Sep 7, 2016
  8. Change Taskbar Thumbnail Threshold to Show List in Windows 10

Brilliant, works for me on a notepad running win 10.

WHITELIONX, Sep 18, 2016
  9. Eddo51 Win User
    When I only have 1 instance of a task open, hovering shows a taskbar icon rather than a list, even though I followed your instructions above. When there are 2 or more, it shows the list as expected. Is there a way to make hovering always show a list? (I'm using Windows 10 Home 1709.)

Eddo51, Feb 23, 2018
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Eddo,

It appears this has changed now in Windows 10. Setting "0" will no longer disable taskbar thumbnails. *Sad

"0" now behaves the same as "1".

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Change Taskbar Thumbnail Threshold to Show List in Windows 10

1. Change Taskbar Thumbnail Threshold to Show List in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Taskbar Thumbnail

2. Taskbar thumbnails not showing on the main monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar thumbnails not showing on the main monitor: Hello. all.I just migrated from Windows 10 to 11 on a computer with two monitors. Taskbar shows fine on both screens and all app icons are there.The situation is with the pop-up thumbnails, on the secondary old AOC LM760s monitor, when hovering over the taskbar icons, all...
  3. Taskbar thumbnails not showing on the main monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar thumbnails not showing on the main monitor: Hello. all.I just migrated from Windows 10 to 11 on a computer with two monitors. Taskbar shows fine on both screens and all app icons are there.The situation is with the pop-up thumbnails, on the secondary old AOC LM760s monitor, when hovering over the taskbar icons, all...
  4. Windows not Showing Thumbnail Previews on Taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows not Showing Thumbnail Previews on Taskbar: I'm not sure why, but my taskbar doesn't show the thumbnail previews when there are multiple of the same window open. It shows the thumbnail preview if there's only one, but if there's two it just shows titles, like thisIt used to show them until recently, i think they...
  5. Windows not Showing Thumbnail Previews on Taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows not Showing Thumbnail Previews on Taskbar: I'm not sure why, but my taskbar doesn't show the thumbnail previews when there are multiple of the same window open. It shows the thumbnail preview if there's only one, but if there's two it just shows titles, like thisIt used to show them until recently, i think they...
  6. Windows not Showing Thumbnail Previews on Taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Taskbar thumbnail hover preview not showing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar thumbnail hover preview not showing: So today when i hovered over a window with two tabs it is no longer showing me the thumbnail preview. What is going on please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-thumbnail-hover-preview-not-showing/8dde1ed5-e2c1-4304-9de1-b349d2f597a3
  8. How to Change Threshold of Taskbar Thumbnails to Show List in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to Change Threshold of Taskbar Thumbnails to Show List in Windows 10?: I checked several ways and they all seem to not work on the current Windows 10. Does anybody know how to change this? submitted by /u/Cade28Skywalker [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/momruh/how_to_change_threshold_of_taskbar_thumbnails_to/
  9. Change Delay Time to Show Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Delay Time to Show Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10: How to: Change Delay Time to Show Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10 How to Change Delay Time to Show Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10 When you hover over the icon or button on the taskbar of an opened item, it will show a thumbnail preview or list of the opened windows...
  10. Change Size of Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Size of Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10: How to: Change Size of Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10 How to Change the Size of Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10 Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display screen by default. The taskbar allows you...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to change threshold of taskbar thumbnails to show list in msft office 2016

2. Taskbar Thumbnail Threshold to list

3. windows 10 taskbar thumbnail threshold

4. chnage taskbar thumnil threshold wndows 10,
  5. Change Taskbar Thumbnail Threshold to Show List in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials,
  6. Change Threshold of Taskbar Thumbnails,
  7. windows 10 change thumbnail threshold,
  8. How to Change Taskbar Thumbnails to Show List in Windows 10,
  9. Taskbar Thumbnails to Show List in Windows 10,
  10. change taskbar thumbnails windows 10,
  11. windows 10 change taskbar view from window thumbnails,
  12. change task bar list to pictures,
  13. Split Threshold for svchost.exe shawn explanation,
  14. windows 10 taskbar open file list not thumbnail,
  15. change taskbar setting to 0 for multiple instances opening