Windows 10: Change the icon of a gadget pinned to the taskbar?

Discus and support Change the icon of a gadget pinned to the taskbar? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Using Windows 10's Weather gadget as an example, it directly allows you to pin it to the Start Menu. But I wanted it pinned to the taskbar instead, so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Eris, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Eris Win User

Change the icon of a gadget pinned to the taskbar?

Using Windows 10's Weather gadget as an example, it directly allows you to pin it to the Start Menu. But I wanted it pinned to the taskbar instead, so I managed to find the menu with all the gadges and was allowed from there to copy a shortcut to the desktop. So far so good. I changed its icon to match the theme of the other icons on my taskbar. Again no problem. However, when I went to add it to the taskbar, although it allows me to do that, the old icon shows up on the taskbar. Is there any way to keep it from reverting to the old icon when pinned to the taskbar?

:)

Eris, Jan 1, 2017
  2. LeapingL Win User

How to change the icon of a shortcut in Windows 10?

I still cannot select the "Change Icon" button under the properties tab. It is "greyed out" and won't let me choose it. Any suggestions?

LeapingL, Jan 1, 2017
  3. JPCO-CPA Win User
    How to change the icon of a shortcut in Windows 10?

I'm trying to change my 2015 QuickBooks icon as it is annoyingly exactly as the 2016 QuickBooks icon

When I right click there are no "Properties" showing to click on???

JPCO-CPA, Jan 1, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

Yes. (Sort of!)
    You would be creating an 'Implicit App Shortcut' which is, in a sense, a shortcut that points to a shortcut that points to an App! However, it creates a 'second instance icon' when opened!
    (Sorry about the dark theme!)

[youtube]e7ArvvL4VVo[/youtube]

Edwin, Jan 1, 2017
  5. Launch the Weather App from the start menu. A Icon for it should then appear on your taskbar. Right click that and you should get a "Pin to taskbar" option. Once you do that, the ICON will stay even if you close the App. It will be the correct Icon too. Clicking that Icon on your taskbar will then launch that app.

alphanumeric, Jan 1, 2017
  6. Edwin New Member
    The OP wants the shortcut pinned with a 'custom' icon.

Edwin, Jan 1, 2017
  7. Ah, read it to quickly the first time around. I was thinking he ended up with a generic Icon as a result of pinning the shortcut to the taskbar, instead of the App directly. My bad. I hadn't finished my morning Java either. That's my excuse and I'm sticking too it. *Redface

alphanumeric, Jan 1, 2017
  8. Edwin New Member

LOL! You and me both! *Smile

Edwin, Jan 1, 2017
  9. Eris Win User
    Edwin, I followed those directions (a vid you made?), and it worked like a charm. Thank you so much! I appreciate it.
    Also, I liked the[/your] dark theme.

The second instance is something I can live with. It wasn't something I could live with when it came to opening the custom taskbar icon for the file explorer proper, but after playing around with that some the other day, I got that to work properly.

Change the icon of a gadget pinned to the taskbar? [​IMG]

Eris, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Change the icon of a gadget pinned to the taskbar? - Similar Threads - Change icon gadget

2. Taskbar App Icon pins question - NOT 'pin to taskbar'

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar App Icon pins question - NOT 'pin to taskbar': [ATTACH] Hello all. I am trying to add some functionality to my taskbar icon for Microsoft Edge browser, similar to the pic posted below. Notice the Pinned section of the popup for Firefox. I put those links there myself, by clicking on the desired site's address in the...
  3. Taskbar icons not changing.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar icons not changing.: Over a year ago I downloaded some icons for my taskbar. I had to download the icons, and then change the icon through windows, and then run the Reset Icon Cache tweak in Winaero Tweaker to actually get the icons to change. However, I decided to finally change it up, and now...
  4. Icon staying pinned to taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icon staying pinned to taskbar: I pin messenger icon to my taskbar - it stays for a couple of hours then disappears. How do I get it to stay? I have clicked pin to taskbar and it stays then goes. I want it to stay...
  5. Pin to taskbar changed

Pin to taskbar changed: For twenty years I have had two windows explorer icons on my taskbar. When I clicked one I got a small pop-up list of six or seven key files or folders that I use regularly. It was based on a shortcut to a folder that contains shortcuts to those files or folders. Yesterday...
  6. Invisible, Pinned (but not pinned) Icon on Taskbar?

Invisible, Pinned (but not pinned) Icon on Taskbar?: Hi, I'm having an issue where an invisible, nonfunctional icon for Dell Mobile Connect is pinned on the taskbar but there is no way to unpin it. Here is a screenshot of the issue (after right-clicking on the icon): [ATTACH] Tried rebooting and restarting Explorer and...
  7. Change taskbar icons of pinned programs

Change taskbar icons of pinned programs: I'd like to change the icon of these icons, but I found no obvious way. [img] 15861
  8. Grouping Pinned Taskbar Icons

Grouping Pinned Taskbar Icons: Hello: When I first upgraded to Windows 10, I started playing around with the taskbar. I found a way to manually "group" the icons I had previously pinned. For example, I could group various Office ions. (E.g., Word; Excel). I recall also having a group for...
  9. Changing taskbar icons?

Changing taskbar icons?: hey everyone new to this forum and windows in general (i come from a mac and than linux background). I was wondering if its possible to change somehow the firefox and spotify icons to match those of the default windows task bar icons so it looks more uniform? in linux...
  10. Icons on the desktop under gadgets

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons on the desktop under gadgets: When I upgraded to Win 10 I just couldn't give up my gadgets so I use a gadget program called "8gadgetpak" now it works fine but I also find that if I create a new file or copy a file to the desktop it invariably ends up behind one the the gadgets, its like Windows does not...