Windows 10: Change the name and description of a volume image using the Dism

Discus and support Change the name and description of a volume image using the Dism in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Using the Dism command in Windows ADK for Windows 10 v1511, it is possible to change the name and description of a volume image saved to a wim... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by balubeto, Nov 23, 2015.

1. balubeto Win User

Change the name and description of a volume image using the Dism

Hi

Using the Dism command in Windows ADK for Windows 10 v1511, it is possible to change the name and description of a volume image saved to a wim file?

If not, you can tell me the method more proper to do this avoiding the use of the old imageX command?

Thanks

Bye

:)

balubeto, Nov 23, 2015
  2. BulldogXX Win User

How can I change the name of the volume?

Open File Explorer > right-click on the volume > choose Properties > in the General tab you can change the name. Changing the name is a smart idea!

BulldogXX, Nov 23, 2015
  3. How can I change the name of the volume?

I have set up three Windows 10 boot options as I work with an OFFICE environment and two Video editing environments, hence the 3 boot options.

However, when Windows 10 come to the boot screen I am offered Windows 10 volume 3, Windows 10 volume 4, Windows 10, volume 5 which gives no clue as to whether I am starting office or video option to boot into.

How can I change the 'volume' name to something like OFFICE or VIDEO?

This is stopping me from upgrading to Windows 10 at the moment

YorkieSparky, Nov 23, 2015
  4. scarneol Win User

Imagex is still the best way for updating the name and description of a captured wim even though some will tell you imagex has been deprecated. Don't believe them....it's still available in the Windows 10 AIK.

With Imagex you can update the name/edition and description with on easy command:
    imagex /info img_file [img_number or img_name] [new_name/edition] [new_desc]

e.g. imagex /info Win7CAPTURE.WIM 1 "Win7ENTx86" "Windows 7 Enterprise x86"

You can accomplish the same thing using DISM but you have to use the Export command which creates an entirely new wim.

Dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:OldFile.wim /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:NewFile.wim /DestinationName:"Windows 7 Enterprise x86"

scarneol, Nov 23, 2015
Thema:

1. Change the name and description of a volume image using the Dism - Similar Threads - Change name description

2. Network Connections & Hardware - Name & Description Change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Connections & Hardware - Name & Description Change: Dear Microsoft Community,How can I modify the Name & Description for some select Network Connections & Hardware, please?Nume: Connexion au réseau local* 1Descriere: Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual AdapterAdresă fizică MAC: f4:7b:09:6e:ae:34Stare: NefuncționalăUnitate de...
  3. Network Connections & Hardware - Name & Description Change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Connections & Hardware - Name & Description Change: Dear Microsoft Community,How can I modify the Name & Description for some select Network Connections & Hardware, please?Nume: Connexion au réseau local* 1Descriere: Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual AdapterAdresă fizică MAC: f4:7b:09:6e:ae:34Stare: NefuncționalăUnitate de...
  4. Change the name of a Volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change the name of a Volume: Split from this thread. To change the name of a volume on your computer, you can follow these steps:Open Finder and go to the "Devices" section on the left-hand side of the window.Find the volume that you want to rename and right-click on it.Select "Get Info" from the...
  5. Change the name of a Volume

Change the name of a Volume: Split from this thread. To change the name of a volume on your computer, you can follow these steps:Open Finder and go to the "Devices" section on the left-hand side of the window.Find the volume that you want to rename and right-click on it.Select "Get Info" from the...
  6. Using DISM with a downloaded image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using DISM with a downloaded image: I'm trying to repair a windows 10 installation that is unstable even in safe mode.Within the recovery environment sfc reports errorsdism / online failsso I'm trying to use DISM with a downloaded image on a USB drive.wmic logicaldisk get name shows the USB drive as drive E:...
  7. Using DISM with a downloaded image

Using DISM with a downloaded image: I'm trying to repair a windows 10 installation that is unstable even in safe mode.Within the recovery environment sfc reports errorsdism / online failsso I'm trying to use DISM with a downloaded image on a USB drive.wmic logicaldisk get name shows the USB drive as drive E:...
  8. Using DISM with a downloaded image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Using DISM to restore offline image

Using DISM to restore offline image: Hi Microsoft, My windows 10 bootloader is corrupted. I receive errors 0xc0000225 and 0xc0000098 while booting. I have found different methods on internet to fix it but none of it seemed to work. I was trying to repair my image using dism.exe but the problem i am facing...
  10. Rename the name and description of an image volume with Dism

Rename the name and description of an image volume with Dism: Hi With the Windows ADK 10, instead of using Imagex to rename the name and description of an image volume, it is possible to use the Dism command to do this? Thanks Bye 15025

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dism chage description