Windows 10: Change Theme in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Theme in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Theme in Windows 10 How to Change the Theme in Windows 10 In Windows, you can use themes to help make your desktop feel a little... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Gary, May 4, 2015.

1. Gary Win User

Change Theme in Windows 10

How to: Change Theme in Windows 10

How to Change the Theme in Windows 10

In Windows, you can use themes to help make your desktop feel a little more personal. Themes change the pointers on your PC all at once, and you can switch between themes as often as you like.

There are four types of themes.

My Themes - Themes that you've created, made changes to, saved, downloaded, or synced (roamed themes) from your Microsoft account. Any time you change a theme, the new settings appear here as an unsaved theme. These themes are saved in the folder below.
    %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Themes
    Windows Default Themes - Windows themes you can use to personalize your PC. Most of them include a desktop background slide show. These themes are saved in the folder below.
    C:\Windows\Resources\Themes
    Installed Themes - Themes that were created by your PC manufacturer or other non-Microsoft providers.

High Contrast Themes - Themes that use a small palette of contrasting colors to make items on your screen easier to see and improves readability. The High Contrast themes don't include automatic window border colors or desktop background slide shows. These themes are saved in the folder below.
    C:\Windows\Resources\Ease of Access Themes
    Starting with light themed.

Your current theme is referenced as the CurrentTheme string value for the key below in Registry Editor.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes

This tutorial will show you how to select a theme to change the desktop background, color, sounds, and screen saver all at once for your account in Window 10.

*note You will need to activate Windows before you will be able to personalize your PC.

*tip To download free themes from Microsoft, see:

CONTENTS:

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Your Theme in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Personalization icon.

2. Click/tap on Themes on the left side, click/tap on a theme you want under Change theme on the right side. (see screenshot below)

*note You can click/tap on the Get more themes in Microsoft Store link to install themes from the Microsoft Store.

Change Theme in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change Your Theme in Control Panel
    1. Open the Run dialog (Win+R), enter the command below, and click/tap on OK to open Personalization in the Control Panel.
    *Arrow explorer shell:::{ED834ED6-4B5A-4bfe-8F11-A626DCB6A921}
    2. Click/tap on a theme you want to use from My Themes, Windows Default Themes, or High Contrast Themes. (see screenshot below)

*note If you click/tap on the Get more themes online link, it'll take you to Desktop Themes | Microsoft Support where you can download more themes to use.

Change Theme in Windows 10 [​IMG]

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Gary, May 4, 2015

2. windows 10 default theme

Hello notpcsavvy,

The default theme for Windows 10 is the "aero.theme" file in the "C:\Windows\Resources\Themes" folder.

Option 1 or 2 in the tutorial below can help show you how to change your theme to the default "Windows" theme if needed.

Shawn Brink, May 4, 2015
  3. How to make the taskbar digital clock light up?

Go in and change your theme to a (different) Windows 10 one. See if the clock makes an appearance.

Shenan Stanley, May 4, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Update: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15007 for PC and Mobile

Brink, Jan 12, 2017
Thema:

1. Change Theme in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Theme

2. I would like to know on what to do if my lockscreen wallpaper is not changing as the theme?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I would like to know on what to do if my lockscreen wallpaper is not changing as the theme?: so i decide to change my wallpaper theme, so i apply a theme but the problem is that my background wallpaper would change but my lockscreen wallpaper wouldn't change as the theme and i am having trouble of trying to change the lockscreen wallpaper the same as the theme, if i...
  3. I would like to know on what to do if my lockscreen wallpaper is not changing as the theme?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I would like to know on what to do if my lockscreen wallpaper is not changing as the theme?: so i decide to change my wallpaper theme, so i apply a theme but the problem is that my background wallpaper would change but my lockscreen wallpaper wouldn't change as the theme and i am having trouble of trying to change the lockscreen wallpaper the same as the theme, if i...
  4. Is there any way to make Windows 11 change themes periodically?

Is there any way to make Windows 11 change themes periodically?: For example, in the morning, Windows greets me with a lighter theme, and by the evening it switches to a darker theme. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-any-way-to-make-windows-11-change-themes/58fb8a3e-de51-4f16-b407-36db6517641f
  5. Is there any way to make Windows 11 change themes periodically?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any way to make Windows 11 change themes periodically?: For example, in the morning, Windows greets me with a lighter theme, and by the evening it switches to a darker theme. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-any-way-to-make-windows-11-change-themes/58fb8a3e-de51-4f16-b407-36db6517641f
  6. Windows 11 Theme keeps changing upon restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Theme keeps changing upon restart: I set the theme to Windows dark and when I restart my laptop, the default app mode switches to light but my default Windows mode remains dark. I have disabled the sync feature. My laptop is a MSI Modern 14 C7M....
  7. Windows 11 Theme keeps changing upon restart

Windows 11 Theme keeps changing upon restart: I set the theme to Windows dark and when I restart my laptop, the default app mode switches to light but my default Windows mode remains dark. I have disabled the sync feature. My laptop is a MSI Modern 14 C7M....
  8. How to change system theme shortcut hotkey?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change system theme shortcut hotkey?: How to create a shortcut to change theme on windows 11, I have seen some online to change light to dark mode but it does not change the taskbar so on but changing the theme does....
  9. How to change system theme shortcut hotkey?

How to change system theme shortcut hotkey?: How to create a shortcut to change theme on windows 11, I have seen some online to change light to dark mode but it does not change the taskbar so on but changing the theme does....
  10. Change the THEME of Windows 11 spotlight.

Change the THEME of Windows 11 spotlight.: How do I change the THEME of the Windows 11 Spotlight rather than change to using photos from my computer?I want to see pictures of space, ie: Galaxies, stars etc., not pictures of wildlife, cities, landscapes etc... on Spotlight....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change taskbar color windows 10 microsoft.com