Windows 10: Change to Location of User Folders Not Reflected in Settings App

Discus and support Change to Location of User Folders Not Reflected in Settings App in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I followed the tutorial Documents Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 to move my Documents folder to a separate partition. Did the same thing for my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bulldog, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Bulldog Win User

Change to Location of User Folders Not Reflected in Settings App

I followed the tutorial Documents Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 to move my Documents folder to a separate partition. Did the same thing for my Music, Pictures and Video folders. Everything worked great.

Nevertheless, the Win10 Settings app at Settings > Storage > Change where new content is saved still thinks the default location is in the C: drive. I know this is wrong because my user files are being saved to their new location, as expected.

Why does the Settings app still show the original location - or perhaps I overlooked something?

:)

Bulldog, Apr 30, 2017

2. Moving the User folder in its entirety from C to D

Too many unintended and disastrous consequences to move the User Account folder to another drive. Instead just move your active User folders from your User account to the other drive.

User Folders - Change Default Location

This keeps C smaller for imaging purposes, but built-in imaging will want to include the data partition since it now has System files. Solution is to use a more flexible imaging app like free and fully automated

Macrium Reflect is a Free and Easy To Use Backup Utility
    which can also restore anywhere instead of the exact same position on disk as per Windows imaging.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Apr 30, 2017
  3. How to ONLY back up the operating System in Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ?

You can change where all future Apps are installed by clicking on Settings, System, Storage and changing where they are stored. There are other user folders that can be moved there as well. Most other user Folders can be moved by, Clicking on C: drive,
    users, selecting a folder, right click, properties, Location, change where they are stored. One Drive can be moved by right clicking on OneDrive, settings, unlink account, sign in, at bottom change where stored.

Hope this helps and if you need any further assistance post and we will be glad to help you.

The above opinion is mine and mine alone and doesn't necessarily reflect that of Microsoft, it's employees, or any other member of this forum.

"When we try and pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

SilverBack70, Apr 30, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Apr 30, 2017
  5. Bulldog Win User
    Sorry, I missed what it is you want me to see.

I did not use the method described in the link to move the folders in question - I used their Location tab. This successfully changed the default save location and moved all files and folders to the new location. I expected that the new default save location would appear in the Settings app, but it does not. As far as Settings is concerned, the default save location is still in C:

Bulldog, Apr 30, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I know you used the Location tab. Your question was about Settings > Storage > Change where new content is saved

I was hoping there was something in that tutorial that might help or point you in the right direction.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change to Location of User Folders Not Reflected in Settings App - Similar Threads - Change Location User

2. Folder location of Settings app Fix

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder location of Settings app Fix: Hi, I saw someone asking this question, precisely for rainmeter, and the answer is not quite right. I couldn't answer it too, hope this fix it.I surfed the whole internet for hours just for you Ares79T the message "I'd like to add Windows Settings launcher to PATH in order to...
  3. Folder location of Settings app Fix

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder location of Settings app Fix: Hi, I saw someone asking this question, precisely for rainmeter, and the answer is not quite right. I couldn't answer it too, hope this fix it.I surfed the whole internet for hours just for you Ares79T the message "I'd like to add Windows Settings launcher to PATH in order to...
  4. Folder location of Settings app Fix

in Windows 10 Customization
    Folder location of Settings app Fix: Hi, I saw someone asking this question, precisely for rainmeter, and the answer is not quite right. I couldn't answer it too, hope this fix it.the message I surfed the whole internet for hours just for you Ares79T"I'd like to add Windows Settings launcher to PATH in order to...
  5. Trying to change the location of Users folder or my personal user folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to change the location of Users folder or my personal user folder: I am having an issue which is: by default, the user file location should be: C:\Users\<username>, but mine is C:\Users\Users\<username>.It's very annoying and I really want to fix it by moving the user folder or Users folder....
  6. Changed the Video Folder Location to My User Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed the Video Folder Location to My User Folder: Hi, I made a stupid mistake and changed the location of my Videos folder and mapped it to C:\Users\MyUserName. This changed the content of the C:\Users folder instead of my username to "Videos". Inside the folder "Videos" that was an empty folder i see my Desktop, Favorites,...
  7. Changed the Video Folder Location to My User Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changed the Video Folder Location to My User Folder: Hi, I made a stupid mistake and changed the location of my Videos folder and mapped it to C:\Users\MyUserName. This changed the content of the C:\Users folder instead of my username to "Videos". Inside the folder "Videos" that was an empty folder i see my Desktop, Favorites,...
  8. Folder location of Settings app

in Windows 10 Customization
    Folder location of Settings app: Hi, I'd like to add Windows Settings launcher to PATH in order to usems-settings: directly from the prompt. However I'm unaware of the program's path. In another thread it was suggested it can be found inC:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ but attempting to gain permission to the...
  9. Unable to change location of user folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to change location of user folders: To save my space on C drive (containing the OS), I always change the location of the default user folders (Desktop, Documents, Videos, Music, Downloads, Pictures) to a different drive from the Properties->Location tab->Move. I did a mistake in moving the 3D Objects folder, I...
  10. W10 Storage settings and user folder structure. How to change location

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    W10 Storage settings and user folder structure. How to change location: Hi, I just build up a new pc and changed from W7 to new era of W10 :-) Was not that easy and pleasant experience as I thought. I have huge storage capability with this new pc but since I'm using very fast Intel 512Gb 600p M.2 SSD as C drive, I also want to make sure that...