Windows 10: Change to Notebook design regarding keyboards -- not user replaceable

Discus and support Change to Notebook design regarding keyboards -- not user replaceable in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just thought I'd share an experience I recently had with an HP notebook, regarding the keyboard replacement. Most laptop/notebook makers these days... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by cytherian, Aug 5, 2018.

1. cytherian Win User

Change to Notebook design regarding keyboards -- not user replaceable

I just thought I'd share an experience I recently had with an HP notebook, regarding the keyboard replacement. Most laptop/notebook makers these days are endeavoring to shrink the casing, to keep up with Apple's thin computer design evolution. But as most people know, Apple doesn't design their products for user servicing--they want you to take it to their Apple Store and have a Genius charge you for the labor to replace parts.

There is a trade-off on these slim notebook designs. As a result, the computer makers are making these portable computers less user serviceable. With older models, there would be little removable panels (held on by a couple screws) for access to the HDD, memory, and even the WiFi adapter. Also a couple screws to release the keyboard to lift off the top cover. Now, that's all gone. You have to remove the whole bottom cover of the casing to get to these components. But... with the keyboard, things have become more treacherous.

With my HP Pavilion 15" obtained about 5 years ago, it's thick enough to have a DVD drive option (something that has gone extinct at this point). Yet, at this point HP had begun the design changes for a reduced casing profile. As a result, when the bottom casing is removed, it reveals a series of 3 PCB's (including the motherboard) fastened to the top panel. Underneath that is a metal support bracket that is almost the whole width of the top cover, and wider than the keyboard. The keyboard... is behind that. The bracket isn't screwed in, but instead secured by about 20 plastic rivets. The keyboard is also secured to the panel with plastic rivets as well, including some that are attached to the metal bracket. What this means is that the keyboard is not intended to be serviced.

This is astonishing, because keyboards do wear out over time. Mine in particular was a lousy design, because HP make the key caps with a matte black finish... and that would create smooth spots over time, where the fingers type the most. Sure enough that happened, as well as a couple letters completely wearing off. When one of the keys started getting sticky, I decided it was time for a new keyboard. My particular Pavilion apparently had an option for a back lit keyboard (and I didn't know this at the time I got it). There's only one motherboard part, which means that there would be a small ribbon cable slot for lighting the LED's. So, I could upgrade. On eBay, I found the keyboard unit, so I figured this is definitely do-able. When I took off the bottom cover... I found out otherwise. Well, I had the part and I was determined, so I popped off about 25 plastic rivets and pried out the keyboard. To secure it back into place, I used a combination of very sticky aluminum tape and a glue gun to replace most of the rivets. It worked, but it took me about 5 hours (I was very cautious).

Then later, I discovered something interesting. HP does NOT provide that keyboard part separately. To replace it, you must buy the whole top cover as one unit, which was originally sold by HP for about $150+. There are makers in China who produce all of these parts and some have decided to make extra keyboards to be sold separately. I'd bought mine for $20 shipped. Later on, I discovered a major parts reseller offers up the top cover with keyboard for about $80~$100, and lowest price I found for mine was $53 for the back lit keyboard version (although casing color is different). Anyway... had I known, I'd have probably forked up the $53. While I saved $30 replacing just the keyboard, the plastic surround for the keys isn't rock solid... it has a little give to it that wasn't there before. A minor annoyance, but I'd have preferred it totally solid and saved myself the 5 hour hassle.

SO... 2 things to take away from this:
    • Take care of your keyboard, for it's not designed to be replaced as a single part. If it does need replacing, be prepared to pay a lot more than you used to for replacement keyboards.
    • Keep in mind the keyboard design before buying a notebook/laptop. Matte finish sucks. Rubberized coatings will wear off. The best is a smooth satin finish made of durable plastic. And of course, make sure it's back lit, because that comes in real handy in low light or dark conditions.

:)

cytherian, Aug 5, 2018
  2. Reanimate Win User

Microsoft Designer Keyboard issues on Windows 10

Hi Lizette,

I think this might have something to do with the July cumulative update. I did a sysrestore and it went away until the update was applied again. Did something change in the July cumulative update in regards to bluetooth that wasn't listed in the notes? Here's
    another thread of users, all Win10 / Designer keyboard with the same issue.

Microsoft Designer Keyboard issues on Windows 10

Reanimate, Aug 5, 2018
  3. bornfree Win User
    Logitech Pushes the Edge with Stunning New Keyboard Design

I've used a lot of Logitech mice and keyboards over the years. I like them a lot with one exception. I totally dislike the flat key surface (like a laptop keyboard) that they insist on selling. The flat keyboard has never been as comfortable for me as the stepped keyboard design. If Logitech offered their nice keyboard designs in the standard stepped design I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

I would NOT however pay $200 for any keyboard no matter how stylish.

bornfree, Aug 5, 2018
  4. Change to Notebook design regarding keyboards -- not user replaceable

HP 15-r029wm Notebook PC windows 10 keyboard not working properly

Hi,

I realize that the keyboard is not working properly. I will try to help you with this issue.

• Did you make any changes to the PC prior to this issue?
    Suggest you to plug in an external keyboard to check if that helps.

Follow these steps to launch the On-screen keyboard:

• Press Windows key + R to get the run window.

• Type “osk” and hit enter to launch the On-screen keyboard and check if this helps.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Thank you.

Srimadhwa B, Aug 5, 2018
Thema:

Change to Notebook design regarding keyboards -- not user replaceable

1. Change to Notebook design regarding keyboards -- not user replaceable - Similar Threads - Change Notebook design

2. How is Microsoft addressing user feedback and concerns regarding the design changes in the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How is Microsoft addressing user feedback and concerns regarding the design changes in the...: In light of the latest Windows update, there have been noticeable design changes in the user interface. As user feedback and concerns have arisen regarding these alterations, we are interested in understanding Microsoft's approach to addressing these issues. Could you provide...
  3. How is Microsoft addressing user feedback and concerns regarding the design changes in the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How is Microsoft addressing user feedback and concerns regarding the design changes in the...: In light of the latest Windows update, there have been noticeable design changes in the user interface. As user feedback and concerns have arisen regarding these alterations, we are interested in understanding Microsoft's approach to addressing these issues. Could you provide...
  4. How is Microsoft addressing user feedback and concerns regarding the design changes in the...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Designer keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Designer keyboard: The Bluetooth button on the keyboard is blinking number 2 and not connecting. I have removed the batteries, disconnected and tried to re-connect and not working.. Thank you!!...
  6. Designer keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Designer keyboard: The Bluetooth button on the keyboard is blinking number 2 and not connecting. I have removed the batteries, disconnected and tried to re-connect and not working.. Thank you!!...
  7. Designer keyboard

8. Microsoft Designer Keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Designer Keyboard: Hi, I had my Designer Keyboard for not even 2 years now and suddenly it stopped working. I thought it might have something to do with the batteries, however after I switched them it still is not working.When I hold the paring key nothing happens the LED will not light up....
  9. Designer Compact Keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Designer Compact Keyboard: Does the Designer keyboard shut down after a time or do I have to slide the switch on the back each time I stop using it for an extended period? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/designer-compact-keyboard/c7240c06-9f22-47a3-b119-93fab650818b
  10. Designer Compact Keyboard

Designer Compact Keyboard: Does the Designer keyboard shut down after a time or do I have to slide the switch on the back each time I stop using it for an extended period? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/designer-compact-keyboard/c7240c06-9f22-47a3-b119-93fab650818b