Windows 10: Change tray icon info/overlay text

Discus and support Change tray icon info/overlay text in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, when you put the mouse cursor over a tray icon, some text is displayed, which is most often the name of that icon's app. What kind of app/editor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by unko, Sep 13, 2016.

1. unko Win User

Change tray icon info/overlay text

Hello, when you put the mouse cursor over a tray icon, some text is displayed, which is most often the name of that icon's app. What kind of app/editor would let you change it?

:)

2. Windows strange overlay

This is caused by the third party application "system explorer". I can see the tray icon to the lower right on the screenshot. Right click it and close it, and the overlay should stop appearing.

Sebastian Meta, Sep 13, 2016
  3. Shortcut to disabled Local Area Connection can't re-enable it

I'm running the fall update to the Anniversary release of Win 10. I go into Network & Sharing Center and open Change Adapter Settings and can pull up its context menu to Disable | Enable the connection there fine, the former putting a red
    X overlay on the tray's Internet Access icon, but if I then drag the network connectoid to the desktop to create a shortcut to it, so I can right-click on that to select Disable | Enable the connection from the DT, the former again works fine,
    putting a red X overlay on the tray's Internet Access icon, but there's no Enable on the right-click context menu of the desktop icon to click. Win 7 provides that.

One has to open the source from which the shortcut was created to re-enable the connection. Enabling from the shortcut also used to work on Win 7 SP1. Apparently, when drag-creating a shortcut from Change Adapter Settings, its Enable attribute isn't carried
    along to the shortcut.

Helge Skjeveland, Sep 13, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Since most icons are embedded in an application's .exe/executable file you'd have to rewrite that file to make changes to it. That probably would require permission from the publisher of the program or otherwise be illegal.

Berton, Sep 13, 2016
  5. unko Win User
    Let's say it's about a free app. There are some apps that let you change the exe icon. But that text.. I didn't find.

unko, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change tray icon info/overlay text - Similar Threads - Change tray icon

2. Is there a way to change a program's tray icon?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to change a program's tray icon?: I have a few 3rd party programs having their icons in my tray, they all have ugly colorful icons and i was wondering if there is any way to replace them, either natively or with a downloadable program. Thanks submitted by /u/gnusmag45 [link] [comments]...
  3. Desktop Icon Shortcut Overlay Randomly Changing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icon Shortcut Overlay Randomly Changing: Hello everyone, I'm running into a bug that is obscure, driving me nuts, and taken many hours of my time trying to find a fix. On Windows 10 Home, the shortcut overlay image on my desktop icons routinely changes every few minutes to a variety of icons, a small handful of...
  4. Desktop Icon Shortcut Overlay Randomly Changing

Desktop Icon Shortcut Overlay Randomly Changing: [ATTACH] Hello everyone, I'm running into a bug that is obscure, driving me nuts, and sucked many hours of my time. On Windows 10 Home, the shortcut overlay image on my desktop icons routinely changes (every few minutes) to a variety of icons, a small handful of some...
  5. Is there a way to change an application's tray icon?

Is there a way to change an application's tray icon?: I can't seem to find it if there is submitted by /u/spoonybends [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/irhr5b/is_there_a_way_to_change_an_applications_tray_icon/
  6. Change colour of tray icons

Change colour of tray icons: Anyone know how I change these tray icon colours ? I want to make them match my desktop. 146508
  7. Change Tray Icons

Change Tray Icons: [ATTACH] It's possible to change the software Tray Icons? Some of them are ugly and others look blurry. Regards! https://preview.redd.it/4ybqn4mgmix31.png?width=378&format=png&auto=webp&s=b1db91899cffe2c2c59bf0076f18d02158db60a3 submitted by /u/Sansagi [link]...
  8. Change in icon text style

Change in icon text style: I have a problem easily reading the icon text, which apparently changed recently. I would prefer a simple solid color for the text rather than a flashy silvery appearance. Where am I able to correct that problem or choose a different style?...
  9. How to change the Spotify tray icon

How to change the Spotify tray icon: I find the Spotify tray icon is not in harmony with other white transparent icons, can someone help me change it to white transparent one or delete it when Spotify is running?:困: (Not hidden in the tray arrow) [img] 114404
  10. overlay on notification icon

in Windows 10 Support
    overlay on notification icon: Windows 10 64 bit Pro version 1511 [img] Anyone know what that circled bar is trying to tell me, there were no outstanding notifications in Action Centre pop-out. After a while I noticed it had it disappeared. As I'm writing this, I might have figured what it was....