Windows 10: Change .txt icon back from Sublime Text, nothing works.

Discus and support Change .txt icon back from Sublime Text, nothing works. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've tried registry edits, tiny apps, but nothing seems to work. I'd really like the default .txt file icon back, but I use Sublime Text 3 to open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dancedar, Aug 25, 2015.

1. dancedar Win User

Change .txt icon back from Sublime Text, nothing works.

I've tried registry edits, tiny apps, but nothing seems to work.

I'd really like the default .txt file icon back, but I use Sublime Text 3 to open them by default, and thus this app's icon takes over all my .txt file icons.

How can I make W10 revert to the original extension's icon while it's default app is another program?

:)

dancedar, Aug 25, 2015

2. How to make something outside of the default applications the default application?

Hello,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

I understand your concern about opening .cs files under Sublime Text 3 application making it as a default application.

I have tried to recreate your issue by downloading the application and searching for it under default applications. I have found that it is by design you will not be able to set it as a default application in Windows 10.

I have also tired to install the application in compatibility mode as it was not for Windows 10 operating system, but still was unable to make it as a default application.

You can right click on .cs files and click on Open with Sublime text option to access those files under Sublime Text 3 application.

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance on this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 25, 2015
  3. Double Notepad

No, its .txt .log files.. it's nothing there.

also i need to know about this..

Change .txt icon back from Sublime Text, nothing works. [​IMG]

white icon : type of file is Text Document (.log)

blue icon : type of file is TXT file (.txt)

Duma Sari Sitorus, Aug 25, 2015
  4. Lukas Win User

Right click on folder > open with > choose another app > find notepad, chech "always use this app to open .txt files" and press OK.

If app does not appear try to press "more apps" and find it there. If it's still not appearing try using in same location as "more apps" just scroll down and press "Look from another app on this PC" then go to C:\Windows find notepad.exe and use it.

Lukas, Aug 25, 2015
  5. dancedar Win User
    Right. But I don't want to open with Notepad as I stated in the op- I want to keep opening with ST3 but revert to the default txt file icon.

dancedar, Aug 25, 2015
  6. Lukas Win User
    It's a bit tricky, because windows shows default problem icon on file which you want to open. If you want to change the default ST3 Icon, you must then change ST3 app icon.

As I know you can change shortcut Icons whatever you want. But changing ST3 app icon into default .txt icon isn't that necessary? I'm pretty sure it's possible with playing with registry options, but it's risky. You can mess up with the system. You can change pointers scheme, but app folder? Well it must be the way to go around.

At the moment windows 10 is new. We need to wait for that kind of change. Because in windows 7 as I know, you can use apps such as SevenIconChange, IconChanger, file extension icon (as I said playing around the registry). But at this moment, these kind of software can't recognize windows 10 icons.

That's my theory, maybe it will be a person who would knew how to change folder scheme. You can try with FileTypesMan - Alternative to 'File Types' manager of Windows tell us if it worked.

Lukas, Aug 25, 2015
  7. WhyMe Win User
    Lots and lots of hoops for you to go through...May still work with Win10...give it a go lol

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ault-icon.html

WhyMe, Aug 25, 2015
  8. Orerockon Win User

So is there any way to change the default icon for any file extension in Win 10 Explorer? I have done it many times in Win 7.

Orerockon, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change .txt icon back from Sublime Text, nothing works. - Similar Threads - Change txt icon

2. .txt added to Notepad text documents?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .txt added to Notepad text documents?: When I turned my pc on today my notepad text document titles now include .txt in the name. Up until this point they've just been whatever I named them without the .txt in them. I'm not sure how or why this happened....
  3. .txt added to Notepad text documents?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .txt added to Notepad text documents?: When I turned my pc on today my notepad text document titles now include .txt in the name. Up until this point they've just been whatever I named them without the .txt in them. I'm not sure how or why this happened....
  4. Change fancy text back to plain text writing.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change fancy text back to plain text writing.: Having used fancy text writing for my poetry files.I found that I cannot use Balabolka text to speech.It will only copy from plain text writing to record.But I need help to change the text back to plain text.I use trio to write my poetry....
  5. Change fancy text back to plain text writing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change fancy text back to plain text writing.: Having used fancy text writing for my poetry files.I found that I cannot use Balabolka text to speech.It will only copy from plain text writing to record.But I need help to change the text back to plain text.I use trio to write my poetry....
  6. Custom Build System for Sublime Text 4 on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Custom Build System for Sublime Text 4 on Windows 10: On Sublime Text 3, I had built a custom Build System for C++ which used to work without any issues. However, I recently lost my C: drive files when my laptop went into a "Automatic Repair" loop and I had to perform a clean install of Windows 10. I had to re-install Sublime...
  7. Change back from backup icon to normal folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change back from backup icon to normal folder?: [ATTACH] I accidently turned my folder "TOM" into this icon, and now I cannot access to the folder. How can can I change it back to the folder icon and access to it normally? Please help....
  8. Double clicked the .txt nothing happened

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Double clicked the .txt nothing happened: System version is win10 pro 2004 english customer edition, just upgraded from 1909, not using insider program, nothing happennot even a "not responding" popup both clicking .txt file and notepad.exe, tried this method, still couldnt fix it. How do i diagnostic or fix it? btw...
  9. Changing Status Bar Icon & Text?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Status Bar Icon & Text?: [ATTACH] Not sure if these are generated by Classic Explorer or not, or if it's pulled from elsewhere like in past Windows versions, but I'd like to change the icon and text through the registry, if possible. This is on Windows 10 LTSB 2016, with Classic Theme on. Any help...
  10. Change in icon text style

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change in icon text style: I have a problem easily reading the icon text, which apparently changed recently. I would prefer a simple solid color for the text rather than a flashy silvery appearance. Where am I able to correct that problem or choose a different style?...