Windows 10: Change username - result: two login accounts, delete 1 unable to login

Discus and support Change username - result: two login accounts, delete 1 unable to login in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; - Did a reset of Windows 10 on a virtual machine - The default account name is then the first 5 characters of my email account - I changed that to my... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by tfwul, Apr 17, 2016.

1. tfwul Win User

Change username - result: two login accounts, delete 1 unable to login

- Did a reset of Windows 10 on a virtual machine
    - The default account name is then the first 5 characters of my email account
    - I changed that to my real name
    - Rebooted
    - I was then offered 2 login accounts
    - logged in using my real name
    - went into account administration (Settings->Accounts-Family & Other users
    - under 'Other users' removed 'Guest' (the first 5 characters)
    - rebooted

Now, I was still offered two accounts, but my password did not work.
    100% sure I was using the correct password and I have tried a dozen times on both accounts.
    Windows then suggested to do a 'Recover your windows live account'
    (account.live.com/password/reset)

But even with the new password I could not log in...

I was lucky to have a snapshot of an earlier Windows - so I restored the snapshot and Windows is running fine now.

This is a bit of a weird situation.

What if this was on a real machine?
    I may need to re-install Windows from scratch. Not so much of a big issue in this case.

However... Windows will surely again offer the 5 character account, 2nd item above.
    Q1: Will that then work with the new password? (the new password is combined with my full email address)
    Q2: How was I supposed to proceed to avoid this?

Note that:
    - on the virtual Windows (VMware) C:\Users\[AccountName] still reads the first 5 characters of my email address (outlook.com)
    - on the host-pc C:\Users\[AccountName] is different , being the first 5 characters of hotmail account

Changed from hotmail to outlook.com a while ago, but the host-pc was set up at the time I was still using the hotmail account.

=

:)

tfwul, Apr 17, 2016
  2. C180K Win User

Windows 10 login password problems

I have been unable to login in to my user account using my password. Although I'm able to login when using Safe Mode.

When I display a list of users in lusrmgr I'm displayed as my name, but when I display User Accounts my username is displayed as my email address and I'm unable to change my password. I have tried using a password manager software to reset my password, although
    the program indicates it's been changed to a blank one, on a reboot I'm still unable to login in.

C180K, Apr 17, 2016
  3. Hesti85 Win User
    Windows 10 Mail - Error code: 0x8007274c

I deleted the Account several times.

I think there is something wrong with the authentification, because I have to Login via Domainname/Username.

Hesti85, Apr 17, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Microsoft does indeed pick the first 5 characters of your email address when setting up a new Microsoft Account login. If you create a local account first you can specify the username you want and then change it to a Microsoft account later. In that way you will keep your original [AccountName] for the user folder.

Changing the [AccountName] is very difficult, I am not sure what you did in step 3 of your post but that is most certainly where things started to go wrong.

I hope I have understood your question properly.

philc43, Apr 17, 2016
Thema:

1. Change username - result: two login accounts, delete 1 unable to login - Similar Threads - Change username result

2. Username-password login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Username-password login: OK so I want to make to where you need a username and password like for when you are logging into a remote cpu I followed the steps but it will not show up here is a set of pictures to help identify it...
  3. Unable to login to Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to login to Account: Split from this thread.i can..not log in to my account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-login-to-account/ded9263e-3d94-4f37-a8f8-0bfbf805af31
  4. Unable to login to Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to login to Account: Split from this thread.i can..not log in to my account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-login-to-account/ded9263e-3d94-4f37-a8f8-0bfbf805af31
  5. Username changed on login to Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Username changed on login to Windows 10: When you first boot your system. You see your picture with your username below and are prompted for a pin. Somehow my user name has been changed to Customer Service. Everything is working fine but instead of my usual username I get "Customer Service". I have also been told...
  6. Password and username login

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password and username login: I just posted the question regarding manually logging in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-and-username-login/755eceb8-be5f-4c8d-9201-37475b01451e
  7. Two login accounts

Two login accounts: My Windows 10 Pro shows two login accounts. Ones is Last Name one word and the other is First and Last name two words. The one word login account shows all my normal folders, etc. I can work with my files. All folders in the two word login account are there, but are empty....
  8. Two account to Login

in Windows 10 Customization
    Two account to Login: Hi everyone, So yesterday 21 Apr 2020 my Windows 10 went through an update, well there is always an update, isn't it? But I notice after the update yesterday, there are suddenly two options to log-in to my laptop: 1. one is "Lia" which is me, the administrator and the...
  9. Unable to login to Windows 10 after changing username

Unable to login to Windows 10 after changing username: Hi I changed one of my staff members user account name as they started using a previous employees PC. This is for a local user account. There is only one account on the PC which has administrator rights. I followed the following process to change the username. - Go to...
  10. Username login

Username login: When I first received my laptop, I linked my old microsoft account. Months ago, I deleted it because I saw no use in it, but replaced it with my school email instead. Recently, I tried installing an app from the store but I needed to create a new account because my school...