Windows 10: Change 'When typing into list view' Action in Windows 10 File Explorer

Discus and support Change 'When typing into list view' Action in Windows 10 File Explorer in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change 'When typing into list view' Action in Windows 10 File Explorer How to Change 'When typing into list view' Action in Windows 10 File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change 'When typing into list view' Action in Windows 10 File Explorer

How to: Change 'When typing into list view' Action in Windows 10 File Explorer

How to Change 'When typing into list view' Action in Windows 10 File Explorer

Change 'When typing into list view' Action in Windows 10 File Explorer [​IMG]
    Information In Windows, you can change the default action when typing into list view in File Explorer to either Automatically type into the Search Box or Select the typed Item in the view.

Automatically type into the Search Box - When you type in File Explorer, it will automatically be typed into the Search Box to give search results from within the currently open folder or drive.

Select the typed Item in the view - This is the default setting. When you type in File Explorer, it will automatically jump to and select the first file name that begins with what you typed in the currently open folder or drive.

This tutorial will you show to change the default action when typing into list view in File Explorer for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Change Default Action of "When typing into list view" in File Explorer using Folder Options
    • Option Two: Change Default Action of "When typing into list view" in File Explorer using a REG file

EXAMPLE: "When typing into list view" in File Explorer

OPTION ONE [/i] Change Default Action of "When typing into list view" in File Explorer using Folder Options
    1. Open Folder Options.

2. Click/tap on the View tab, select (dot) Automatically Type into the Search Box or Select the Typed Item in the View (default) for what you want under When typing into list view in "Advanced settings", and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] Change Default Action of "When typing into list view" in File Explorer using a REG file

Note The .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

TypeAhead DWORD

0 = Select the typed Item in the view
    1 = Automatically type into the Search Box

1. Do step 2 (Search Box) or step 3 (select) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Select "Automatically type into the Search Box" "When typing into list view"
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

When_typing_into_list_view_Automatically_type_into_Search_Box.reg

Download

3. To Select "Select the typed Item in the view" "When typing into list view"
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

When_typing_into_list_view_Select_typed_item_in_view.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Aug 7, 2017
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Windows Explorer View - change default

Hi,

In order for you to change the view of Windows Explorer, follow the steps below:

• Open Windows Explorer.
    • Select the View Tab.
    • Click List.
    Let us know how it goes.

Eugene deV, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Change 'When typing into list view' Action in Windows 10 File Explorer

setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Oct 26, 2019
  5. dalchina Win User
    How do I change what is listed in the Type column in Windows Explorer?

Hi, if you wish to look a little deeper you could use this free program - here I've chosen zip as this shows the text appearing in file explorer's file type column clearly under Description, shown in explorer at the bottom of the screenshot.

You can also see further details of course, such as the associated program.

Whilst the program also lets you change those fields, I wouldn't suggest that here, although that would be 'safer' and easier than using a registry editor- better to try completely uninstalling those programs as suggested above, or succeeding in properly reassociating the relevant file types.

dalchina, Oct 26, 2019
  6. 1Family Win User
    Set default in File Explorer to List View in Windows 10

On my computer File Explorer in Windows 10 defaults to the Details View. That is useful some times, but by default I want File Explorer to open to List View except for Pictures. How can I set the default view to List View?

1Family, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Change 'When typing into list view' Action in Windows 10 File Explorer

1. Change 'When typing into list view' Action in Windows 10 File Explorer - Similar Threads - Change 'When typing

2. Set default in File Explorer to List View in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Set default in File Explorer to List View in Windows 10: How do you set the default windows view to list? I've seen similar posts but like other users the default list view does not seem to stick [instead details view always comes back]....
  3. Explorer View: Why does disenabling 'Hide extensions for known file types' not change list...

Explorer View: Why does disenabling 'Hide extensions for known file types' not change list...: Hide file name extensions: [ATTACH] Display file name extensions: [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorer-view-why-does-disenabling-hide-extensions/47ba3be1-8205-4e25-a543-10a0dc3e3f63"
  4. Windows 10 file explorer : typing in list, behavior has changed

Windows 10 file explorer : typing in list, behavior has changed: In the details view of a folder, in Windows 10 file explorer, I used to be able to start typing a filename and the cursor would move to the first-occurrence of the typed string. Now, what I'm typing is put, instead, in the search box, filtering my files list. Why did...
  5. Change windows file explorer font size in list view

Change windows file explorer font size in list view: I am visually impaired. I prefer using Mac because I can make my cursor size a lot larger than I can on my PC. I have both a Mac and a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 running Windows 10 Pro. I have looked this question up and they say that I should go to settings>System>Display they...
  6. Changing File Type Views in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing File Type Views in Explorer: I have many, many photo and video files separated into many subfolders. I'd like to change all of certain types of files to a different view: all video files to extra large icons, for instance. The trouble is, I don't want to change the icon for the subfolders they're...
  7. Changing File Type Views in Explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Changing File Type Views in Explorer: I have many, many photo and video files separated into many subfolders. I'd like to change all of certain types of files to a different view: all video files to extra large icons, for instance. The trouble is, I don't want to change the icon for the subfolders they're...
  8. Changing File Type Views in Explorer

9. Want to change File Explorer default View from "Details" to "List"

in Windows 10 Support
    Want to change File Explorer default View from "Details" to "List": Hi all, I have been searching the web for an answer to this question since first getting Windows 10 last year. I would like my File Explorer to open using the "List" view rather than the current default of "Details". I have seen many responses that reference how to change...
  10. Windows file explorer view changed

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows file explorer view changed: Hello, Don't know what I did (or did not), however my file explorer view changed: before I had my drives, downloads, and recent folders at the most left side, and to the right I had the content of each item, e.g. folder or drive. Now I have something like in the attached...