Windows 10: change who is the primary user of the computer

Discus and support change who is the primary user of the computer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; when you have 2+ users on the computer, it seems to boot the computer with either the oldest account, or (i assume this is the correct one) the highest... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DrIvoKintobor, Jan 1, 2015.

1. change who is the primary user of the computer

when you have 2+ users on the computer, it seems to boot the computer with either the oldest account, or (i assume this is the correct one) the highest level account (local admin > admin > standard) so if you're like me and have 2 account, an admin and a standard user, it'll have the admin's login screen to save time logging into the admin's account. is there a way to change who this primary user is?

not sure if these terms are correct... but whatever... i'm sure most would know what i'm talking about

:)

DrIvoKintobor, Jan 1, 2015
  2. Arul_D Win User

Restricting the Access of a Standard User who is NOT part of my family

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

This issue could be due to corrupted files. I suggest you to follow the steps below and verify the result.

There are two ways to do this. The easiest way is to enter the complete file path:

On the Start screen, type C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Parental Controls and press Enter.

If you’d rather open each folder individually, follow these steps:

a. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.

(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.)

b. Make sure that Apps is selected, and then enter Computer in the Search box.

c. Tap or click to open the Computer app. Open C:, open the Program Data folder, open the Microsoft folder, open the Windows folder, and open the Parental Controls folder.

3) Delete all contents of the Parental Controls folder.

This will delete any corrupt files. Your settings will be downloaded again from familysafety.microsoft.com the next time you sign in.

For more information, I suggest you to refer to the article below.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/set-up-family#set-up-family=windows-10

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Arul_D, Jan 1, 2015
  3. cspears16 Win User
    Restricting the Access of a Standard User who is NOT part of my family

Thank you, but I'm not sure this was very helpful. My standard user is not a part of my family. I cannot see his account when I log in to manage family accounts.

The article you referred to only seems to apply to Family Users. Again, he's not part of my family users. Under Account Settings, he is listed under Other Accounts.

And I'm not sure why you're calling me Angela.

I did what you suggested, but he is still not showing up as part of my family.

cspears16, Jan 1, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

change who is the primary user of the computer

Hello Dr. Ivo,

By default, Windows will show the last user on the sign in screen instead of all users.

If both accounts are password protected, then you could click/tap on the arrow at the top left corner on the sign in screen to see all users to select the account you want to sign in to.

Did you want to have Windows automatically sign in to your admin account instead?

Brink, Jan 1, 2015
  5. i have my admin account (which i title with my real name) and i have my ivo account, which is the account i use on a regular basis... i actually never sign in with the admin account aside from the first boot to make the ivo account... i only use the admin account for uac things

i was just logged in as the ivo account... restarted computer, and the admin account is there waiting for a password...

DrIvoKintobor, Jan 1, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hmm, Microsoft must have changed this. I'm getting the same thing as well with only and admin and standard account.

I'm not aware of a way to specify what user is displayed by default on the sign in screen.

You should have a back arrow at the top left to switch to see all users on the sign in screen though.

Brink, Jan 1, 2015
  7. yeah... there is... it's just annoying to need to do that every time... oh well...

cheers

DrIvoKintobor, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

change who is the primary user of the computer

1. change who is the primary user of the computer - Similar Threads - change primary user

2. Changing the primary user on Windows 10 computer - I'm still left with my old user name at...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Changing the primary user on Windows 10 computer - I'm still left with my old user name at...: I have a PC running Windows 10, I wanted to pass the computer to another family member and wanted to remove myself from the machine. I set the other person up as an administrator, changed my user status to a non-admin member, restarted the machine, logged into the new user...
  3. Changing the primary user on Windows 10 computer - I'm still left with my old user name at...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing the primary user on Windows 10 computer - I'm still left with my old user name at...: I have a PC running Windows 10, I wanted to pass the computer to another family member and wanted to remove myself from the machine. I set the other person up as an administrator, changed my user status to a non-admin member, restarted the machine, logged into the new user...
  4. Changing the primary user on Windows 10 computer - I'm still left with my old user name at...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Changing primary accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Changing primary accounts: Hi,my father gave me the laptop I'm currently using as a gift several years ago, I never got around to swapping main accounts as i could just log in as my email, steam, and so on as myself with no issue. However recently I've been trying to add apps to my device via the...
  6. Computer/who to call

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer/who to call: My laptop screen is broken and the piece that holds up my laptop. This makes the top of my laptop screen flicker and if I stay on a page to long and switch to another page the page I was currently on bleeds through....
  7. Changing primary user

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changing primary user: I want to delete my current Microsoft account (privacy issues) but it is currently being used as the primary user on my desktop. How do I go about removing this account and adding a new one while not losing any of my settings/data? submitted by /u/freshiii_ [link]...
  8. Changing the primary user/account on my windows 10 laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing the primary user/account on my windows 10 laptop: I have been trying to switch my Microsoft account on my laptop, to connect it with the one i actually use. I also cannot access the account that is logged in because i don't have the same email address anymore, or phone numbers. please help!...
  9. Change Primary Microsoft Email for Admin User

Change Primary Microsoft Email for Admin User: In Windows 10 I have added a second Microsoft Account to my Admin User Settings, and would like to remove the first one that was linked during initial setup. Settings under Email & App Accounts offers "Manage" and "Remove" for the second email, but only "Manage" for the first...
  10. Changing primary alias

Changing primary alias: People on this forum have been complaining that they can't change their primary alias since at least as far back as May 8, 2015--over 2000 people on this forum. God know how many have called in for help like I have. One Microsoft customer server told me it was a known problem...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to change primary user on computer

2. change primary user

3. primary user of computer