Windows 10: Change Windows 10 Insider Program Ring Level

Discus and support Change Windows 10 Insider Program Ring Level in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Windows 10 Insider Program Ring Level How to Choose Your Insider Ring Level on your Windows 10 PC If you set to Windows Update.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by jmsnyc, Jul 18, 2016.

1. jmsnyc Win User

Change Windows 10 Insider Program Ring Level

How to: Change Windows 10 Insider Program Ring Level

How to Choose Your Insider Ring Level on your Windows 10 PC

If you set to Windows Update.
    • Slow - Preview the latest builds of Windows 10 with minimal risk to your device. You will get an OS update once or twice a month, which all require a reboot.
    • Fast - Be the first to give Microsoft feedback on the newest preview build of Windows 10. You will get an OS update once or twice a week, which all require a reboot.
    • Release Preview - Stay on a retail build of Windows 10, but get a sneak peek at on-going development of apps, drivers, and other quality updates.
    • Skip ahead - Skip ahead to the next version of Windows 10.
    See also: Insider Previews updates, rings and support | Windows Insider Program

Starting with Windows 10 build 18312, Microsoft simplified the Windows Insider Program Settings page. The goal is to make the end-to-end experience of signing up for the Windows Insider Program and setting up your PC to take new builds much easier by simplifying the experience and removing some of the clutter. Youll find that all the same functionality is still there.

Starting with Windows 10 build 19018, Microsoft will not be offering Skip Ahead as an option for Insiders to sign-up for.

This tutorial will show you how to choose your Insider level to the Skip ahead, Fast, Slow, or Release Preview ring for Insider preview builds on your Windows 10 PC.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to choose the Insider ring level for the PC.

It may take some time to receive a new build after changing your Insider level settings.

Contents
    • Option One: To Change Windows 10 Insider Level in Settings
    • Option Two: To Change Windows 10 Insider Level using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Windows 10 Insider Level in Settings
    1 While signed in to Windows 10 with your Microsoft account, open Settings, and click/tap on the Update & recovery icon.

2 Click/tap on Windows Insider Program on the left side, and click/tap on the current ring (ex: Fast) under Pick your Insider settings on the right side. (see screenshot below)

Change Windows 10 Insider Program Ring Level [​IMG]

3 Select (dot) the Slow, Fast, Release Preview, or Skip ahead ring for what you want, and click/tap on the Back (arrow) button at the top left corner. (see screenshot below)

Change Windows 10 Insider Program Ring Level [​IMG]

4 When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change Windows 10 Insider Level using a REG file
    The downloadable .reg files below will modify the string values in the registry keys below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability

BranchName string value
    external = Slow, Fast, Release Preview, or Skip ahead

ContentType string value
    Active = Slow or Fast
    Current = Release Preview
    Skip = Skip ahead

Ring string value
    WIF = Fast or Skip ahead
    WIS = Slow
    RP = Release Preview

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\UI\Selection

UIBranch string value
    external = Slow, Fast, Release Preview, or Skip ahead

UIContentType string value
    Active = Slow or Fast
    Current = Release Preview
    Skip = Skip ahead

UIRing string value
    WIF = Fast or Skip ahead
    WIS = Slow
    RP = Release Preview

1 Do step 2 (Just fixes, apps, and drivers), step 3 (Active development of Windows in Slow), step 4 (Active development of Windows in Fast), or step 5 (Skip ahead to the next Windows release in Fast) below for what you would like to do.

2 Change Insider Level Release Preview ring
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 6 below.

Release-Preview.reg

Download

3 To Change Insider Level to Slow ring
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 6 below.

Slow.reg

Download

4 To Change Insider Level to Fast ring

Fast.reg

Download

5 To Change Insider Level to Skip ahead ring

Skip_ahead.reg

Download
    6 Save the .reg file to your desktop.

7 Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

8 When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

9 If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

jmsnyc, Jul 18, 2016
  2. Abi99 (2) Win User

Windows update stuck at 12% for days and having issues downloading from store

All apps » Settings » (Update ») Windows Insider Program: If your are part of it, at which level are you? If you are not part of the Windows Insider Program, go for the ring/level/pace ‘Release Preview’. If that does not help either, I am not aware of
    any other approach than All apps » Settings » (System ») About » Reset your phone. Do you get OS build 10.0.15063.297 now?

Abi99 (2), Jul 18, 2016
  3. Windows update keeps re setting me to slow ring

Hi Don,

The switching issue you're experiencing with your Windows might be due to a variety of reasons. One of which is due to corrupted update files.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, is your Windows version; Windows 10 or Windows Insider Program?

If you're under Windows Insider Program, you may check lacrumb's answer
    here about changing from slow ring to fast ring.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Regards.

Michelle Her, Jul 18, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jul 18, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
  6. I recently enabled Insider builds but I am unable to change my insider level - it's grayed out and I can't select anything. Any suggestions?

Oldiesmann, Jan 31, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Oldiesmann, *Smile

What build do you currently have installed?

Since you have just enabled to receive Insider builds, have you already restarted the computer to apply?

Does using Option 2 change the level shown in Settings for you?

Brink, Jan 31, 2017
  8. Ztruker Win User

Shawn, I'm on build 15019 and want to get to 15025. I tried this last night after setting Pace to Fast instead of Slow. Update failed and I ended up doing a reset back to 15019. Now I can't change the Pace from Slow to Fast via Settings or the registry file.

Any ideas?

Ztruker, Feb 2, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey Rich, *Smile

Are the settings grayed out?

Brink, Feb 2, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    I have am issue with one Insider install that only show slow ring in selection greyed out. Any idea why?

cereberus, Feb 2, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Feb 2, 2017
  12. Ztruker Win User
    Yes, they were. I gave up and did a Clean Install of 15014. Was able to switch to Fast ring after than. Just now started 15025 with UUP off. Going well. Just saved the 15025 install.esd and created a ISO in case I need it for later.

Thanks Shawn.

Ztruker, Feb 3, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Glad you got it sorted Rich, but too bad you had to clean install to do so.

Brink, Feb 3, 2017
  14. Ztruker Win User
    It's an Oracle VM so not any real loss, just time to set things up again. I would have liked to figure out what wasa wrong but got impatient.

Thanks again Shawn.

Ztruker, Feb 3, 2017
  15. I have build 10493 at the moment. I have restarted the computer several times since enabling the option. Option 2 above doesn't change anything - it's just a grayed out dropdown list.

Oldiesmann, Feb 8, 2017
Thema:

1. Change Windows 10 Insider Program Ring Level - Similar Threads - Change Insider Program

2. Insider Program Preview Release Level

in Windows 10 Customization
    Insider Program Preview Release Level: Does the Preview Release level allow for any feedback / error reporting or is it simply a preview of the finished product that's already cast in stone? My reason for asking is that I seem to be looking for a level that would fall between the Beta level which arrives too...
  3. Windows 10 Insider Fast ring

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Insider Fast ring: i was using my laptop fine last night, and then this morning when i turned it on, it won't boot tried advanced startup, uninstall feature, and last installed updates - nothing tried booting safe mode - nothing please help...
  4. Insider preview fast ring

Insider preview fast ring: I am currently stuck on 19592.1001 and even though on the fast ring not getting any updates. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/insider-preview-fast-ring/a7ef9816-8c49-46eb-946b-10d60151a0c6
  5. Windows insider slow ring version?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows insider slow ring version?: I have has the same version since January? Is this correct? Does the slow ring get any updates? I tried just changing back to the release build but it wouldn't let me (kept jumping back to slow ring on the insider option). So I've switched to the fast ring for now. submitted...
  6. Windows 10 November Update for Slow Ring insiders

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 November Update for Slow Ring insiders: Hello, I have a problem with the Windows update on Windows 10. I read that the November update has been released today and only what I got by being the Windows insider I got only the update from the screen. I hoped that it is the November Update but I still have 1903 version...
  7. Cannot update Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring

Cannot update Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring: My Surface Pro 5 cannot install updates but shows "update available" in the windows update tab in settings. I got build 18323_19h1 Windows 10 Pro (Insider Fast Ring). Tried troubleshooting which keeps "checking for pending restart", used the Windows Standalone Installer...
  8. Windows Insider Program: Cannot Choose Ring

Windows Insider Program: Cannot Choose Ring: I am running Windows 10 Professional 1809 on a Lenovo P52s ThinkPad. I opted into the Windows Insider Program and chose the Skip Ahead ring. The problem comes when I go into Settings and see "Just fixes apps and drivers" selected. I have tried to click on the Skip Ahead...
  9. Inside WDG - Branches and Rings

in Windows 10 News
    Inside WDG - Branches and Rings: [img] [img] [img] [img] Source: Insider Hub - "Inside WDG - Branches and Rings" 40448
  10. Windows 10 Mobile Insider Program - Change Insider Level

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Windows 10 Mobile Insider Program - Change Insider Level: How to: Windows 10 Mobile Insider Program - Change Insider Level How to Choose Your Insider Ring Level on Windows 10 Mobile Phone [img] Information If you joined the Windows Insider Program on your Windows 10 Mobile phone, then you will get the latest Insider preview...