Windows 10: Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10

Discus and support Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add Protected Folders to Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Protected Folders for Controlled Folder Access in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cliff S, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Cliff S New Member

Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10

How to: Add Protected Folders to Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10

How to Add or Remove Protected Folders for Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10

Starting with Controlled folder access is introduced in Windows Defender Antivirus.

When Controlled folder access is turned on, it helps you protect valuable data from malicious apps and threats, such as ransomware. It is part of Windows Defender Exploit Guard.

Controlled folder access applies to a number of system folders and default locations, including folders such as Documents, Pictures, Movies, and Desktop.

You can add additional folders to be protected, but you cannot remove the default folders in the default list.

Adding other folders to Controlled folder access can be useful, for example, if you don't store files in the default Windows libraries or you've changed the location of the libraries away from the defaults.

You can also add mapped drives.

For more details about Controlled folder access, see:
    This tutorial will show you how to add and remove protected folders for the Controlled folder access feature of Windows Defender Exploit Guard in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to add or remove protected folders for Controlled folder access.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Add Protected Folders to Controlled Folder Access in Windows Defender Security Center
    • Option Two: Remove Protected Folders from Controlled Folder Access in Windows Defender Security Center
    • Option Three: Add Protected Folders to Controlled Folder Access in PowerShell
    • Option Four: Remove Protected Folders from Controlled Folder Access in PowerShell
    • Option Five: Configure Protected Folders Policy for Controlled Folder Access in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Six: Configure Protected Folders Policy for Controlled Folder Access in Registry Editor

OPTION ONE [/i] Add Protected Folders to Controlled Folder Access in Windows Defender Security Center

*note The list of allowed apps is stored in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Windows Defender Exploit Guard\Controlled Folder Access\ProtectedFolders
    1. Open the Windows Defender Security Center, and click/tap on the Virus & threat protection icon. (see screenshot below)

Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10 [​IMG]

2. Click/tap on the Manage ransomware protection link under the Ransomware protection section. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Protected folders link. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on Yes when prompted by UAC to approve.

5. Click/tap on Add a protected folder. (see screenshot below)

6. Navigate to and select the folder (ex: "D:\My protected folder") you want to add as a protected folder, and click/tap on Select Folder. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished adding folders, you can close Windows Defender Security Center if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Remove Protected Folders from Controlled Folder Access in Windows Defender Security Center
    1. Open the Windows Defender Security Center, and click/tap on the Virus & threat protection icon. (see screenshot below)

2. Click/tap on the Manage ransomware protection link under the Ransomware protection section. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Protected folders link. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on Yes when prompted by UAC to approve.

5. Click/tap on an added folder (ex: "D:\My protected folder") you want to remove, and click/tap on Remove. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on OK to confirm. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished removing folders, you can close Windows Defender Security Center if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Add Protected Folders to Controlled Folder Access in PowerShell
    1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Enter the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Add-MpPreference -ControlledFolderAccessProtectedFolders "Full path of folder"

*note Substitute Full path of folder in the command above with the actual full path of the folder (ex: "D:\My protected folder") you want to add as a protected folder.

For example: Add-MpPreference -ControlledFolderAccessProtectedFolders "D:\My protected folder"
    3. You can now close the elevated PowerShell if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Remove Protected Folders from Controlled Folder Access in PowerShell
    1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Enter the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Remove-MpPreference -ControlledFolderAccessProtectedFolders "Full path of folder"

*note Substitute Full path of folder in the command above with the actual full path of the folder (ex: "D:\My protected folder") you want to remove as a protected folder.

For example: Remove-MpPreference -ControlledFolderAccessProtectedFolders "D:\My protected folder"
    3. You can now close the elevated PowerShell if you like.

OPTION FIVE [/i] Configure Protected Folders Policy for Controlled Folder Access in Local Group Policy Editor

*Warning Protected folders you add using this option cannot be removed using Option Two and Option Four.

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Six below for this policy.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Defender Antivirus\Windows Defender Exploit Guard\Controlled Folder Access

3. In the right pane of Controlled Folder Access in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Configure protected folders policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (default) or step 6 (configure) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Not "Configure protected folders" for Controlled Folder Access
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see left screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To "Configure protected folders" for Controlled Folder Access
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, and click/tap on the Show button in Options. (see left screenshot below)

B) In the Value name column, type the full path of the folder (ex: "D:\My protected folder") you want to add as a protected folder. (see right screenshot below)

*note You will need to double click/tap in the field to be able to enter the full path.

C) In the Value column to the right of the added app, type the number 0. (see right screenshot below)

*note You will need to double click/tap in the field to be able to enter the number.

D) If you want to remove an added folder, double click/tap on the Value name and Value fields for the app you want to remove, and edit them out until blank. (see right screenshot below)

E) When finished adding and removing folders, click/tap on OK. (see right screenshot below)

F) Click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see left screenshot below)

7. When finished, close the Local Group Policy Editor.

OPTION SIX [/i] Configure Protected Folders Policy for Controlled Folder Access in Registry Editor

*Warning Protected folders you add using this option cannot be removed using Option Two and Option Four.

*note This option is for the same policy in Option Five.

1. Do step 2 (default), step 3 (add apps), or step 4 (remove apps) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Not "Configure protected folders" for Controlled Folder Access
    *note This is the default setting. It will remove all apps added using this policy.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below.
    Undo_Configure_protected_folders_group_policy.reg

Download
    B) Save the .reg file to your desktop.

C) Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

D) When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

3. "Configure protected folders" to Add Protected Folders
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below.

*note This downloadable .reg file will add the registry keys for you to make it easier to set in this step.
    Configure_protected_folders_group_policy.reg

Download
    B) Save the .reg file to your desktop.

C) Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

D) When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

E) Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

F) Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Windows Defender Exploit Guard\Controlled Folder Access\ProtectedFolders

G) In the right pane of the ProtectedFolders key, right click on an empty space, click/tap on New, and click/tap on String Value. (see screenshot above)

H) Type the full path of the folder (ex: "D:\My protected folder") you want to add as the name of this string value, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

I) Double click/tap on this string value (ex: "D:\My protected folder") to modify it. (see screenshot above)

J) Type the number 0, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

K) Repeat steps 3G to 3J if you want to add anymore folders as protected folders.

L) When finished adding folders, you can close Registry Editor if you like.

4. "Configure protected folders" to Remove Protected Folders
    A) Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

B) Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Windows Defender Exploit Guard\Controlled Folder Access\ProtectedFolders

C) In the right pane of the ProtectedFolders key, right click on the string value (REG_SZ) of the folder (ex: "D:\My protected folder") you want to remove, and click/tap on Delete. (see screenshot above)

D) Click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

E) When finished removing folders, you can close Registry Editor if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Cliff S, Oct 20, 2017
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member

Yep, it'll literally block everything for a protected folder until allowed.

Brink, Oct 20, 2017
  3. Cliff S New Member
    That makes it only good for work PC's(running SAP) and kiosk mode then(both where there will be no changes or deletions made), because it doesn't at least present you with a link to the .exe to white list something, like restore from recycle bin, or to whatever OneDrive process.

Cliff S, Oct 20, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It would be nice if it had some sort if UAC style Yes/No to approve for a controlled folder instead of just this below.

Brink, Oct 20, 2017
  5. Has not the registry path and value changed or is it just for Home?

Code: reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Windows Defender Exploit Guard\Controlled Folder Access" /v "EnableControlledFolderAccess" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Oct 20, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member

[/quote]
    It's the registry key and value you posted now. The only issue is that you have to take ownership of the key before you'll be able to modify the value of the DWORD.

Thank you for the heads up. *Smile

Brink, Oct 20, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Oct 24, 2017
  8. Hi Brink.

Was on this thread. Member reported you needed to reboot to make changes and mentioned that sub processes may be doing the saving. Might be worth checking on reboot comment and adding mention of sub process in a "Tip"

Controlled folder access problems

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 24, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That would be a very good possibility if the 3rd party AV disabled Windows Defender.

If it has a "This setting is managed by your administrator" message above this setting, then a group policy has been configured for it instead.

*Arrow Computer configuration > Administrative templates > Windows components > Windows Defender Antivirus > Windows Defender Exploit Guard > Controlled folder access

Brink, Oct 24, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'll do some more testing for that, but you shouldn't need to restart to apply if adding the exclusion via the Windows Defender Security Center UI.

EDIT:

I've noticed that if the app is currently running when added as an allowed app, you may need to close and reopen that app to actually apply.

Brink, Oct 24, 2017
  11. Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10

Thanks Brink. Any tips that will make it easier to use will help.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 25, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    The user did not report that- but has Bitdefender installed. Merely that the button was greyed out. I haven't asked him to try disabling or uninstalling Bitdefender (his comments suggest that would not be acceptable long term).
    Controlled folder access is greyed out Solved - Windows 10 Forums

If it is true that having a 3rd party AV results in the button being greyed out with no explanation, this is going to give rise to questions. Would seem worth adding to the tutorial that it's a prerequisite that Defender real time scanning be enabled and not disabled by a 3rd party AV being used- which is a very common scenario.

dalchina, Oct 25, 2017
  13. Well this sounds like a lawsuit in the making. If you can only use MS's product (Defender Real Time) to get the protection then all AV makers will join lawsuit on the grounds of predatory behaviour... the EU in particular. Should be interesting to watch.

Caledon Ken, Oct 25, 2017
Thema:

1. Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Defender Controlled

2. Defender controlled folder access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender controlled folder access: while i was using my system i got a message saying "Unauthorized changes blocked" and it was explorer.exe what is happening and what should i do please advice...
  3. Windows Defender’s Controlled Folder Access blocking System 32

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender’s Controlled Folder Access blocking System 32: Hey there, am I the only one having issues with Defender’s Controller Folder Access? The feature works as intended but my problem is it’s blocking System32 tasks. I saw posts from more than a year ago but no reports of this issue recently. Things blocked by CFA:...
  4. Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Turn off

Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Turn off: Conrolled folder access turns it self off when i click it to turn it on. i need help [Original Title: Windows defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-controlled-folder-access-turn-off/67e73935-1c11-4e63-b5b3-6be93eebe7b2
  5. Problem with Windows Defender/Controlled Folder Access

Problem with Windows Defender/Controlled Folder Access: When I'm trying to save a file in a portable application, I'm getting an error that the file couldn't be found. Based on my searching, I've found that it's a problem with "Controlled Folder Access" in Windows Security (new update renamed Windows Defender I guess). I was just...
  6. Windows Defender and Controlled Folder Access and Exclusions

Windows Defender and Controlled Folder Access and Exclusions: I just recently started using Windows Defender as my antivirus software expired and I was looking for another option other than paying for another program. I don't totally understand how to use it and reading thru tutorials is somewhat foreign to me so please understand my...
  7. cannot change CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS option in Windows Defender

cannot change CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS option in Windows Defender: [img] 104282
  8. Odd Defender 'Controlled Folder Access' alert

Odd Defender 'Controlled Folder Access' alert: Fall Creators Update 1709 introduced a new 'Controlled Folder Access' function in Defender. This is off by default, but I have turned it on to test it. I've had to allow a couple of apps access (VLC was one) but other than that it seem unobtrusive. However, very...
  9. Is anyone using Windows Defender Controlled folder access?

Is anyone using Windows Defender Controlled folder access?: I spoke too soon. Some Microsoft apps are now being blocked from making changes. It would be nice to know what's whitelisted by default.
  10. About the "Controlled Folder Access" in windows defender...

About the "Controlled Folder Access" in windows defender...: Although not that important, I noticed that when you open Winders Defender, and then click on Virus and threat protection settings, and then scroll down to controlled folder access,.. It states, " Protect your files and folders from unauthorized CHANGED by unfriendly...