Windows 10: Change Windows SmartScreen Settings in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Windows SmartScreen Settings in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Windows SmartScreen Settings in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Windows Defender SmartScreen for Apps and Files in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Windows SmartScreen Settings in Windows 10

How to: Change Windows SmartScreen Settings in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Windows Defender SmartScreen for Apps and Files in Windows 10

Windows Defender SmartScreen helps keep your PC safe by checking downloaded files and web content within apps to help protect you from malicious software and potentially unsafe web content. Before an unknown or potentially unsafe downloaded file is opened, Windows will display a warning. If SmartScreen detects potentially unsafe web content in an app, Windows will display a warning in place of the content.

If an app has been blocked by Windows SmartScreen, you can unblock it to open it if you trust it.

See also:
    This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off Windows Defender SmartScreen for apps and files from the web for all users in Windows 10.

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to change Windows SmartScreen settings.

*Warning Turning off SmartScreen Filter can make your PC more vulnerable to security threats.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off SmartScreen for Apps and Files in Windows Security
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off SmartScreen for Apps and Files using a REG file
    • Option Three: Enable or Disable SmartScreen for Apps and Files in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Four: Enable or Disable SmartScreen for Apps and Files using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Windows Defender SmartScreen warning

Change Windows SmartScreen Settings in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On or Off SmartScreen for Apps and Files in Windows Security
    1. Open Windows Security, and click/tap on the App & browser control icon.

2. Under Check apps and files, select Block, Warn (default), or Off for what you want to set. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Yes when prompted by UAC.

4. You can now close Windows Defender Security Center if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Turn On or Off SmartScreen for Apps and Files using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the string value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

SmartScreenEnabled String Value

Block = Blocks an unrecognized app from running
    Warn = Warn before running an unrecognized app
    Off = Don't do anything

1. Do step 2 (block), step 3 (warn), step 4 (off) below for what you want to set.

2. To Set SmartScreen for Apps and Files to Block
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .reg file below, and go to step 5 below.

Set_SmartScreen_to_Block.reg

Download

3. To Set SmartScreen for Apps and Files to Warn
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .reg file below, and go to step 5 below.

Set_SmartScreen_to_Warn.reg

Download

4. Turn Off SmartScreen for Apps and Files

Turn_SmartScreen_Off.reg

Download
    5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Enable or Disable SmartScreen for Apps and Files in Local Group Policy Editor

*note If enabled of disabled, this option will override and gray out Option One and Option Two.

The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Four below to set this policy.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/File Explorer

3. In the right pane of File Explorer in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Configure Windows Defender SmartScreen policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable - block), step 6 (enable - warn), step 7 (disable), or step 8 (default) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable SmartScreen to Block Apps and Files from Web
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, select Warn and prevent bypass in the Options drop menu, click/tap on OK, and go to step 9 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Enable SmartScreen to Warn for Apps and Files from Web
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, select Warn in the Options drop menu, click/tap on OK, and go to step 9 below. (see screenshot below)

7. To Disable SmartScreen for Apps and Files from Web
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 9 below. (see screenshot below)

8. Default SmartScreen for Apps and Files from Web
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured, click/tap on OK, and go to step 9 below. (see screenshot below)

9. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Enable or Disable SmartScreen for Apps and Files using a REG file

*note If enabled of disabled, this option will override and gray out Option One and Option Two.

The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD and string value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System

EnableSmartScreen DWORD

(delete) = default
    1 = Enable
    0 = Disable

ShellSmartScreenLevel string value

(delete) = default
    Block = Warn and prevent bypass
    Warn = Warn

1. Do step 2 (enable - block), step 3 (enable - warn), step 4 (disable), or step 5 (default) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable SmartScreen to Block Apps and Files from Web
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 6 below.

Enable_SmartScreen_to_Block_Apps_and_Files_from_Web.reg

Download

3. To Enable SmartScreen to Warn for Apps and Files from Web
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 6 below.

Enable_SmartScreen_to_Warn_Apps_and_Files_from_Web.reg

Download

4. To Disable SmartScreen for Apps and Files from Web

Disable_SmartScreen_for_Apps_and_Files_from_Web.reg

Download

5. Default SmartScreen for Apps and Files from Web

Default_Not_Configured_SmartScreen_for_Apps_and_Files_from_Web.reg

Download

6. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

7. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

8. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

9. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Dec 15, 2015
  2. Andre Da Costa, Dec 15, 2015
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Dec 15, 2015
  4. iamc3k Win User

Brink,

I've just installed and activated my Win 10...thanks to your tutorials, it was smooth.

I have Kaspersky Internet Security. What is the benefit of running Smart Screen if I am already running KIS? Wouldn't they interfere with one another? (Similar to Windows Defender and any other anti-virus software.)

Thanks,
    Ken

iamc3k, Dec 17, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Ken, *Smile

Smart Screen and Kaspersky can safely be used together without issue. Smart Screen will just automatically block a file that came from an unknown or external source, and prompt you when you try to open it.

Brink, Dec 17, 2015
  6. caveman88 Win User
    I got hit with the SmartScreen filter last night when downloading a new version of Keepass. SmartScreen said the file was bad and Norton said the file was good. SmartScreen would not let me install the program. I never saw anything to unblock it. I ended up changing the SmartScreen Filter to do nothing, installed the program and turned the SmartScreen back on.

I figure if the SmartScreen Filter does not like the app, I should do some extra research before I install it.

Z

caveman88, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change Windows SmartScreen Settings in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change SmartScreen Settings

2. Windows defender SmartScreen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows defender SmartScreen: Bonjour,J'ai un gros soucis avec SmartScreen il consomme en permanence entre 25 et 30% de ressources processeur sans que le PC ne fasse quoi que ce soit.Comment puis-je faire pour stopper ce process?...
  3. Windows SmartScreen

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows SmartScreen: I have written a software that, if downloaded from our university server, triggers the warning: "Windows protected your PC. Windows SmartScreen ..." How can I overrule that?...
  4. Windows 10 smartscreen problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 smartscreen problem: Today, i want to install some app, but alaways appear smartscreen can't be reach right now, i try many ways but the problems didn't solve, i try on other laptop and the problem still exist, can anyone fix the bugs, all the method that can be search on google had been tried,...
  5. Smartscreen. Smartscreen. Smartscreen.

Smartscreen. Smartscreen. Smartscreen.: Please try to understand: my problem is because of the Smartscreen. The Smartscreen is blocking installation of our software, Clone Files Checker. Our users are facing problem installing the program on their Windows 10 computers. I am the developer of the application and our...
  6. Windows Defender Smartscreen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Defender Smartscreen: Windows Defender SmartScreen is constantly using 13-16% of my CPU resources. Is this normal? Seems to be bogging my computer down. Task manager shows Very High power usage and Very High power usage trend. This doesn't seem appropriate for a function that operates in the...
  7. Windows Defender SmartScreen

Windows Defender SmartScreen: We are developing an application and singing both the executable/dlls as well as the installer with an EV code-signing certificate. Our application recently we began being flagged by Windows Defender SmartScreen despite having the EV certificate. It passes the Windows App...
  8. smartscreen is unreachable windows 10

smartscreen is unreachable windows 10: ive been having this problem when i try to run something and i have tried everything i have found online i even completely reset my pc my internet is working fine. i dont know what to do....
  9. Windows Defender/SmartScreen

Windows Defender/SmartScreen: Why does Windows Defender/SmartScreen detect the AMTSO Test Web sites Phishing test page one day and then I try another day and it WILL NOT detect it? What is going on? I do not want a 3rd party A/V product, but we need consistent and strong protection. Thanks, Karl...
  10. Windows Smartscreen down?

Windows Smartscreen down?: I'm getting the Windows Smartscreen can't be reached right now where as I have a normal internet connection. Could MS servers be down? Can anyone check on their end? Thanks. *Smile 109480

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender smartscreen is unreachable

2. smart screen is unreachable

3. default smartscreen reg

4. windows 10 smartscreen is unreachable,
  5. windows defender smartscreen not found,
  6. windows defender smartcreen,
  7. windows defender smart screen is unreachable,
  8. download change smartscreen settings windows 10,
  9. smartscreen settings win 10,
  10. windows smartscreen unreachable,
  11. windows defender smart screen unreachable