Windows 10: Change Windows Update Settings

Discus and support Change Windows Update Settings in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Is it possible with windows 10 (like windows 7) where I can change the Windows Update Settings so I get notified if there are new updates available and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by boeingaviation, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Change Windows Update Settings

Is it possible with windows 10 (like windows 7) where I can change the Windows Update Settings so I get notified if there are new updates available and download them, rather than Windows just downloading and installing the updates?

So if there was an update I didn't want to install amongst others I could just Un select it from downloads.

:)

boeingaviation, Jan 26, 2017

2. Change Windows 10 Update Settings?

I received an update today via Windows Update that changed my touch screen from being used with fingers to being recognized as a cursor (multi-touch with 10 fingers cannot be used/scrolling doesn't work/cursor stays on screen even with fingers used/etc.).

I was able to reverse this change by reverting the driver in the Mouse settings and rebooting the machine. After rebooting. Windows Update is trying to install the update again! I cannot let this happen because I'll have to undo the process
    again and it will just download and install the incorrect update again and again. How can I change the settings so it doesn't download and reinstall this again?

NathanHood, Jan 26, 2017
  3. Change Windows 10 Update Settings?

Hi Nathan,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest on windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you faced. It’s unfortunate

that your touch screen becomes inactive frequently and the pointer doesn’t

respond. We will definitely help you with this issue. Just a few question first

to understand the issue better;

1. What is the make and model of the touch screen?

2. Does the touch screen freeze randomly or during a particular process?

I would suggest you to revert the faulty driver and try the steps in the article to prevent a faulty

driver from installing again and again.

Follow the link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

I would suggest you to try these steps to see if it resolves the

touch screen issue:

Method 1: Run "Hardware and devices "Troubleshooter

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and

fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this

troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your touch screen. Refer these

steps:

a) Press Windows key +X, select Control panel

b) Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons

c) Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel

d) Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter

Method 2: Try to Update driver

I would also suggest you to check for updated drivers for your

touch screen display in the manufacturer’s website.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get

back to us and we would be happy to help.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Jan 26, 2017
  4. GregoryP Win User

Change Windows Update Settings

unfortunately not, not yet, maybe Microsoft will change this policy in future.
    you can change only wudo settings (like share updates in local area in your office or home or in Internet)

GregoryP, Jan 26, 2017
  5. Matthew Wai, Jan 26, 2017
  6. philm Win User
    There have been several suggestions to change Win 10 update settings, but each time I try get the error “class not registered.” So can the update settings be changed, or not?

philm, Jan 26, 2017
  7. philm Win User
    Oh, that's a big help.

philm, Jan 26, 2017
  8. Change Windows Update Settings

So I'm confused by the replies.

Can you or can you not change the update settings.

boeingaviation, Jan 26, 2017
  9. Ok Matthew could you please kindly tell me how because I want this ability as I've had updates install before that I didn't want?

So can i set it to either set it to notify me for updates and then I download them, or set it to download them but not install them?

boeingaviation, Jan 27, 2017
  10. Have you read the links in my post #3 above?

Matthew Wai, Jan 27, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    Mathew has already given links to the relevant Tutorials. In the first Tutorial the first two option are only available for Pro, if you have Home you can use Option Four (metered connections) to notify you that updates are waiting to be downloaded. Mathew's second Tutorial link explains how to hide specific updates so they won't be downloaded.

I have used both successfully on several machines.

12. As a Home Edition user, I confirm that no notification will be given. However, I use VBScript to make it notify me.

13. Change Windows Update Settings

Sorry Matthew completely overlooked your links.

I'm on Pro so will take a look when back on PC.

Will come back with outcome.

14. He overlooked nothing, but you did.

15. I'm sorry that was a typo that's supposed to say "I" overlooked.

Thema:

Change Windows Update Settings

1. Change Windows Update Settings - Similar Threads - Change Update Settings

2. Windows Updates Keeps Changing my settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Updates Keeps Changing my settings: Please help me. Each time Windows makes an update, I lose all of my settings and desktop files. In addition, my taskbar items are deleted and replaced with Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Store, etc. What can I do to prevent this from happening? I have paused updates but when it...
  3. Windows Updates Keeps Changing my settings

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Updates Keeps Changing my settings: Please help me. Each time Windows makes an update, I lose all of my settings and desktop files. In addition, my taskbar items are deleted and replaced with Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Store, etc. What can I do to prevent this from happening? I have paused updates but when it...
  4. Windows updates change my settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows updates change my settings: I have Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2. This morning I unpaused the Windows update setting and installed the updates from last month. Windows said to reboot in order to complete the installation, so I did, but after the screen went black the computer stalled. To my uneducated...
  5. Windows Update changed settings for no reason?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Update changed settings for no reason?: I just installed a rather big Update through a restart. Now my Background changed its color and my default profil pic looks like a bad formated jpeg. Also i noticed that i have Windows 10 Home Version 2004 on my PC. The PC is nearly 3 years old. Someone know wtf happend?...
  6. Updates changing my settings

Updates changing my settings: Only had my Lenovo laptop for 6 months and every time windows updates I lose all my desktop settings and the first time it did it, there was a temporary user installed. None of the options and pre-installed programs on start work. When I click on them nothing happens except...
  7. updates changing settings

updates changing settings: Is there a way to get the updates without completely resetting all of the settings on my computer? Cortana is irredeemable. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updates-changing-settings/17e9ab32-37ec-45f8-ae10-4d9300a8bf2e
  8. Windows Updates changes network settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Updates changes network settings: Finally fed up with having to reset everything after Windows updates. Been a Windows user since 1995, but I've had it. Going to Linux. You guys at Microsoft will start losing market share sooner or later if you keep making people's lives more difficult....
  9. Cannot change windows update settings

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot change windows update settings: I do not want Windows 10 to update and restart my PC automatically - I want to decide when that is done. In the Settings it is fixed at 'Automatic' update. I have followed two suggestions to alter the setting that searches turned up, but neither have worked so far....
  10. cannot change windows update settings

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    cannot change windows update settings: I tried to change the windows update settings and I can’t!!!!! I get a message saying that some settings are managed by my system administrator!!!!! I am the only user in this laptop with administrator privileges… How comes that I can’t change the settings? 2483