Windows 10: Change Workgroup in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Workgroup in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Workgroup in Windows 10 How to Change Workgroup in Windows 10 [img] Information If your PC is on a large network at a workplace... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by philc43, Jan 14, 2016.

1. philc43 Win User

Change Workgroup in Windows 10

How to: Change Workgroup in Windows 10

How to Change Workgroup in Windows 10

Change Workgroup in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information If your PC is on a large network at a workplace or school, it probably belongs to a domain. If your PC is on a home network, it belongs to a workgroup and might also belong to a homegroup.

When you set up a network, Windows automatically creates a workgroup and gives it the name WORKGROUP. You can join an existing workgroup on a network or create a new one. Workgroups provide a basis for file and printer sharing, but they don't actually set up sharing for you.

A workgroup is a group of PCs that are connected to a home or small office network and share resources, such as printers and files. When you set up a network, Windows automatically creates a workgroup and gives it a name.
    • All PCs are peers; no PC has control over another PC.
    • Each PC has a set of user accounts. To log on to any PC in the workgroup, you must have an account on that PC.
    • There are typically no more than twenty PCs in a workgroup.
    • A workgroup isn't protected by a password.
    • All PCs must be on the same local network or subnet.
    • All PCs in the workgroup must have a different computer name.
    • If your PC was a member of a domain before you joined the workgroup, it will be removed from the domain and your computer account on that domain will be disabled.

This tutorial will show you how to change the workgroup on your Windows 10 PC to join an existing workgroup on a network or create a new one.

Note If your network includes PCs running Windows XP, you might need to change the workgroup name on those PCs to match the workgroup name on the PCs running later versions of Windows so that you can see and connect to all PCs on your network.

It is recommend that you use only Internet-standard characters in the workgroup name. The standard characters are the numbers 0 through 9, uppercase and lowercase letters from A through Z, and the hyphen (-) character. PC names cannot consist entirely of numbers, nor can they contain spaces. The name also cannot contain special characters, such as the following:

` ~ @ # $ % ^ & ( ) = + [ ] { } | ; : , ‘ “ . < > / ?

CONTENTS:

EXAMPLE: Workgroup name displayed in Control Panel

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Workgoup in System Properties
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the System icon.

Note If you like, you can also open Run (Win+R), type sysdm.cpl, click/tap on OK, and go to step 3 below to open System Properties.

2. Click/tap on the Advanced system settings link on the left side, or click/tap on the Change settings link on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on Yes.

4. Click/tap on the Computer Name tab, and click/tap on the Change button. (see screenshot below)

5. Select (dot) Workgroup under Member of at the bottom, and then do one of the following: . (see screenshot below)
    • To join an existing workgroup, enter the name of the workgroup that you want to join, and then click/tap OK.
    • To create a new workgroup, enter the name of the workgroup that you want to create, and then click/tap OK.

6. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

7. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)
    NOTE: This does not restart the computer yet.

8. Verify your new workgroup name, and click/tap on Close. (see screenshot below)

9. Click/tap on Restart now to restart your PC and apply the workgroup name. (see screenshot below)

WARNING: This will restart your PC immediately. Be sure that you save and close anything you have open first.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change Workgoup in Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Type the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

Code:
    Note Substitute Workgroup-Name in the command above with the actual name of the workgroup you want to join or create within quotes.

3. When successfully finished, close the elevated command prompt, and restart the computer to apply.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Change Workgoup in PowerShell
    1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Type the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow Add-Computer -WorkGroupName "Name"

Note Substitute Name in the command above with the actual name of the workgroup you want to join or create within quotes.

For example: Add-Computer -WorkGroupName "BRINKGROUP"

3. When successfully finished, close the elevated PowerShell, and restart the computer to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

philc43, Jan 14, 2016

2. Want windows 10 machine to rejoin a workgroup and see files on XP machines

This was working but with the last Windows update my Windows 10 machine no longer sees the Workgroup it belongs to. I can find no instructions anywhere on how to get it to see the other Workgroup machines again and to be seen by them. What happened? How
    do I fix it?

The Workgroup name is intact and has not changed on the Windows 10 machine but it can't find the network or the workgroup. Network Discovery is turned on. This had been working just fine for over a year such that I could share files and printers.

Bernard Corrigan, Jan 14, 2016
  3. I wish to upgrade to the free version Windows 10

This forum is for Windows 10. The Windows 7 forum is at

Results in Windows - Microsoft Community

"Workgroup" is simply a collection of computers and devices connected on a home network. "Workgroup" is not the name of anything used at work. Computers at work are on a "Domain." You can change the name of the workgroup if you want as follows, but I
    think you are after something else.

You change the Workgroup in Windows 7 in

Control Panel -> System and Security -> System

Look for Change Settings on the right side and click it.

What exactly are you trying to do? Your title has nothing to do with workgroups. It sounds more like you want to change the operating system. Can you post a screenshot of the window you get when you go to

Control Panel -> System and Security -> System

You can use Snip for this.

Cbarnhorst, Jan 14, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Phil, *Smile

While a homegroup does make it easier to share files between PCs on the same network, you can also share on the workgroup. The tutorial below for Windows 8 can help show you how to. It's the same in Windows 10.

File Sharing - in Windows 8

Brink, Jan 14, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Jan 14, 2016
  6. Bandit233 Win User
    Brink, wanted to let you know your post is applicable to multiple Win 10 peer networking issues and should be linked to multiple threads in the forums. Here's why: I've had multiple PC's on my home network using peer networking, folder and file sharing, and printer sharing ever since Win 10 was released, but this month's patch Tuesday release from MS broke my network connections on 2 of my PC's. The computers all showed connected to my workgroup, but the file browser was unable to see the PCs, mapped drives and folders and shared printers were all dead. The ONLY thing that got my connections restored was your command prompt fix for joining a workgroup. Thanks for the fix, Cheers.

Bandit233, Apr 25, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm glad it could help @Bandit233, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Brink, Apr 25, 2017
  8. Change Workgroup in Windows 10

I believe, option 1 isn't available anymore in Windows 10 Home v1703, Build 15063.296.
    I'm wrong?

Sorry, Update:
    Using the command
    Code: sysdm.cpl[/quote] you can still change it.

WTenNewbie, May 15, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello WTenNewbie, *Smile

Option 1 is still available to use.

Brink, May 15, 2017
  10. @Brink: You are right, using the new point 1 instead of your previous steps:
    *Wink

WTenNewbie, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change Workgroup in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Workgroup

2. Pictures won't appear for selection when I try to change background

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pictures won't appear for selection when I try to change background: I've been trying to change my lock screen and wallpaper, but when I go to click a picture or even a folder -- no photos show up. It appears on my laptop, but just not when I try to change my background. I saw this same question and there was an answer, but the command ran...
  3. Changing workgroup membership in Windows 10 Home 21H1

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing workgroup membership in Windows 10 Home 21H1: HiI am wondering if there is a way to change the workgroup membership in Windows 10 Home 21H1. The ability exists in the Pro version but the Home version only gives the option to change the computer name using the system settings dialogue. Is there an accepted way around this...
  4. Changing workgroup membership in Windows 10 Home 21H1

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing workgroup membership in Windows 10 Home 21H1: HiI am wondering if there is a way to change the workgroup membership in Windows 10 Home 21H1. The ability exists in the Pro version but the Home version only gives the option to change the computer name using the system settings dialogue. Is there an accepted way around this...
  5. Changing workgroup membership in Windows 10 Home 21H1

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. How do I find and change my Windows 10 WORKGROUP?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I find and change my Windows 10 WORKGROUP?: How do I find and change my Windows 10 WORKGROUP? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-find-and-change-my-windows-10-workgroup/f45b941b-71b1-4497-8552-353ef7a98d0e
  7. Domain to Workgroup changed local profile folders, WB back to Domain didn't change it back

in Windows 10 Customization
    Domain to Workgroup changed local profile folders, WB back to Domain didn't change it back: One of my own Win10Pro workstations was going from work to home office so I removed it from the Domain.My previous user name on the Domain was "Greg" & my profile information was in the Directory "Greg". When I changed to a Workgroup, it created a new directory with my full...
  8. Change computer system setting from workgroup to Domain

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change computer system setting from workgroup to Domain: Hello, I have a problem that my credentials are being stolen all the time, over almost half a year. Each time I have to reset my computer, so I can "reset" the credential stealth process over in my computer. I figured out that maybe the problem is due to my computer...
  9. Network ID Not changing from workgroup or domain to home network

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Network ID Not changing from workgroup or domain to home network: So recently, I decided that I would finally activate my windows 10, and bought a key. So when I went to the activation settings, this text pops up: We cant activate windows on your device because you not connected to your organizations network. But I'm not part of an...
  10. Printer Connectivity and Workgroup name change.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Printer Connectivity and Workgroup name change.: I want to change the workgroup name of my laptop by the tab for changing network if appears grey. I tried doing certain things changing driver settings and all but to no avail. Also I installed a new printer driver through DVD and it's only running when connected through wire...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change work group

2. chage workgroup

3. why when changing windows 10 to private network does it change back to workgroup