Windows 10: changed computer name now locked out of admin

Discus and support changed computer name now locked out of admin in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I changed the PC name and now I have no admin access so I am locked out of making any changes. how can I change it back? or am I hooped... *Sad 40828 Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by javiea, Feb 13, 2016.

1. javiea Win User

changed computer name now locked out of admin

I changed the PC name and now I have no admin access so I am locked out of making any changes.
    how can I change it back?
    or am I hooped... *Sad

:)

javiea, Feb 13, 2016

2. Locked out of computer after win10 update

I am locked out of my computer because I purchased the computer online i never needed a user name or password so I never changed any of the precious owner's admin settings. On Saturday the computer automatically upgraded to windows 10 and is now
    asking me for a password, which I don't have and I do not have access to any of the previous owners information! I purchased the computer for quickbooks pos for my business. So now I cant log into my computer or access my pos to run my business! Please help!

JamesConarton, Feb 13, 2016
  3. How do i amalgamate test account to my own account

No cannot log in under old account as name was changed am now totally locked out hence delay in reply as computer re booted

I can sign in or used to be able to sign in under new name but would not allow me to verify it on cortana am now now using my iPad

FrancescaKelly, Feb 13, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Javiea, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

What happens when you try to sign in to your administrator account?

Brink, Feb 13, 2016
  5. javiea Win User
    i cant remember the admin password

javiea, Feb 13, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If you sign in with a Microsoft account, then you could do OPTION THREE on any computer to reset your password online at Microsoft. The new password will sync to your PC if it has an Internet connection. Sometimes it may take around 24 hours to sync though.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Feb 13, 2016
  7. javiea Win User
    I don't think that's the problem.
    I can get into the laptop using the same password as I did before.
    What happened was it went from admin to guest and from domain to workgroup
    I didn't think that changing the PC name would lock me out like that
    every time i try to do anything to make changes or even try updating norton i get a message

user account control
    do you want to let this app make changes to your pc
    to continue type an administrator password and click ok

but only the no button is lit and nowhere to type a password
    i couldn't even do a print screen to show you

javiea, Feb 14, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

As a test, see if you may be able to do a system restore at boot using a restore point dated before you changed the computer name to see if it may be able to quickly undo and fix this for you.

System Restore Windows 10

Brink, Feb 14, 2016
  9. javiea Win User
    the admin password i use to use when i was the administrator didn't work so i couldn't get in
    the current account is still guest

javiea, Feb 14, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    In that case, you might see if you may be able to do OPTION FOUR in the tutorial below to enable the built-in Administrator account, sign in to the account, create a password for it, then change the computer name back.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Feb 14, 2016
  11. javiea Win User
    it says "you currently don't have permission to access this folder when i try to open the config folder.
    I really appreciate this!!

javiea, Feb 14, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Just to verify, are you doing OPTION FOUR in a command prompt at boot and not from inside Windows or Safe Mode?

Brink, Feb 14, 2016
  13. javiea Win User

no, it is from inside windows
    i don't have a usb or recovery drive (can't create one without admin permission)

javiea, Feb 15, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That would be why then. It can only be done in a command prompt opened at boot after booting from installation or recovery media.

You could create a USB on another computer (ex: friends?) if you like to boot from on your computer.

Brink, Feb 15, 2016
  15. javiea Win User
    can i do from my computer?

javiea, Feb 15, 2016
Thema:

1. changed computer name now locked out of admin - Similar Threads - changed computer name

2. Reset my computer undoing change's and now I'm locked out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset my computer undoing change's and now I'm locked out: I reset my gaming PC won't fully factory reset goes to 50-70 percent then undoing change's and now I can't log into my account and get in my computer when I try I get "The user profile service service failed the sign in user profile can't be located" if it can't be located...
  3. Reset my computer undoing change's and now I'm locked out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reset my computer undoing change's and now I'm locked out: I reset my gaming PC won't fully factory reset goes to 50-70 percent then undoing change's and now I can't log into my account and get in my computer when I try I get "The user profile service service failed the sign in user profile can't be located" if it can't be located...
  4. Reset my computer undoing change's and now I'm locked out

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Locked out of Admin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked out of Admin: I have to use Examplify for school but windows blocks it. In order to allow it to work I need to be able to turn off memory integrity under core isolation but this is blocked for me with the red text "The setting is managed by your administrator". How do I go around this to...
  6. Locked out of Admin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Locked out of Admin: I have to use Examplify for school but windows blocks it. In order to allow it to work I need to be able to turn off memory integrity under core isolation but this is blocked for me with the red text "The setting is managed by your administrator". How do I go around this to...
  7. Locked out of admin

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Locked out of admin: I was in the local admin account, then I made another user account which is not admin. I then disabled the admin using the command prompt. Now I'm stuck with a non admin account .Fine. I could not used the prompt as an admin, cant access the control panel. So I use the...
  8. BSOD, changed disk now locked out.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD, changed disk now locked out.: Hi, am a mobile user so please forgive formatting etc. In short i need to reset an admin account, i have access to a user account but can remember my old admin password. Can anyone help? What happened is my current HD BSOD and wouldnt reset as itd get to about 80% then...
  9. Unable to Change Permissions Locked out of Admin Permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to Change Permissions Locked out of Admin Permissions: Hi, So my problem is on the windows C: properties I'm locked out of editing permissions. The permissions I have ticked our Read & execute List Folder contents Read All other permissions are un ticked. All the solutions I've seen have said just click Edit to change...
  10. Locked out of admin

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Locked out of admin: HELP, I locked myself out of my laptop because I turned on safe mode and restarted the pc. I can't log into my admin account since I don't remember my password. Now I am stuck in the guest account in safe mode. I tried to change password in microsoft account but my laptop...