Windows 10: Changed locations of my Program Files folders. Can't undo it.

Discus and support Changed locations of my Program Files folders. Can't undo it. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently got my computer, a gaming desktop, but I didn't quite understand how the drives work. So, unknowingly, I installed games and such to my C:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by corben, Feb 18, 2017.

1. corben Win User

Changed locations of my Program Files folders. Can't undo it.

I recently got my computer, a gaming desktop, but I didn't quite understand how the drives work. So, unknowingly, I installed games and such to my C: Drive. I didn't realize it didn't have as much space as my last computer, only 111 GB, and I didn't realize I had a D: Drive, 2TB. So, trying to get some space on my C: Drive for things that need to be there, I looked up ways to do it. I found something that says if you go into regedit.exe and change C: to D: on Program Files, the files would go to there. So I tried it, I thought it worked, I restarted my computer, and basically everything was broken. I could open some stuff, some I couldn't. Some things like Settings and Windows made stuff, and not things I've downloaded, opened but didn't work. I even tried reversing it, going to regedit.exe, changing D: to C: again, but regedit.exe wouldn't open too. I even tried doing a clean install of Windows 10 again, and once I click the button, nothing happens. I can't open cmd.exe as an administrator, as I found you need to do to fix it. I don't know what to do. Someone please help me. This is making me extremely upset.

thanks in advance,

:)

corben, Feb 18, 2017
  2. CarlosOH Win User

Windows 10 desktop renamed "downloads"

Hi,

I did exactly the same. Was trying to change my default downloads location to the desktop folder, but ended up changing the desktop folder name to "downloads". Now I can´t undo it.

Tried following the steps mentioned, but in my user folder (C:\Users\eduardo), the "desktop" (now named "downloads" folder), does not even appear as a separate folder. There appears only one folder named "Downloads" and when I change the name, it changed
    the name for that folder as well as for the one that used to be named "Desktop".

Is there another way I can try to do it?

p.s. I can't remember how I did it in the first place, so I can't undo it.

Thanks,

Carlos.

CarlosOH, Feb 18, 2017
  3. neilpzz Win User
    New Build: WIN10 boots on 512GB SSD assigned to drive C:

Drive C:\ is the normal drive to contain windows. I've usually found all programs can be changed to install to a different drive/folder if required. If you have some that can't you should take that up with the program supplier.

If you wish to change the default file location for your personal files then right click each folder and select properties. Look at the Location Tab and change to the location you require.

neilpzz, Feb 18, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, a clean install would mean you would need to delete the partitions on C:/
    That it fails suggests you went about it the wrong way.

I recommend given your symptoms you do a clean install.

Here's a guide from the extensive Tutorial section here, which anyone is free to use and search:
    Windows 10 - Clean Install

What you did moving the Program Files location wouldn't cause files to be copied and would create major inconsistencies, as you've discovered. However, I would have expected it to be possible to reverse that change. As you can't successfully and now can't open regedit, I suspect the simplest way forward is to clean install.

I can't tell what your attempt to clean install before may have done, otherwise there may have been more (rather technically advanced) things you might have tried. I think it better not to attempt that.

Now, this time, the first time you get your system running again after clean installing, the first program you should install is Macrium Reflect (free).

This will let you create disk images (stored on a large external drive - which you will need). These images will let you recover your PC to a previous working state when things go badly wrong - even if your disk fails. You need to update your disk images periodically.

There is a Tutorial and a video on using this program on this site.

Here's why this is such a good idea:
    Creating disk images lets you restore Windows and all your disks and partitions to a previous working state, quickly and probably without technical help.

You can recover from:
    - a failed disk drive (restore to a new one)
    - ransomware (which encrypts your disk)
    - user error
    - unrecoverable problems from failed updates to problem programs
    - unbootable PC (hardware faults aside)

Images also act as a full backup- you can extract files too.

You can even use images to help you move more easily and quickly to a new PC.
    Can be used with Laplink software to transfer your build automatically to another PC

Imaging can even help you sleep at night knowing you have a second chance.

Many here recommend Macrium Reflect (free) as a good robust solution and more reliable than some others. It’s
    - more feature rich
    - more flexible
    - more reliable
    than Windows Backup and Restore system images.

It's well supported with videos, help and a responsive forum.

There are other such programs, free/commercial, some with simpler interfaces, but Macrium R is one of the most robust and reliable.

How long does it take?
    SSD+ USB3 - maybe 15 mins for the first system image, less thereafter
    HDD + USB2 - maybe 40-50 mins
    That’s with little personal data, few programs installed.
    - of course, depends how much you have on C:
    (You can and should image all your partitions and disks)

Once you've created your first image, keep it updated with e.g. differential imaging- which images just changes from the first image, more quickly, and creates a smaller image file.

You need a backup medium - say- twice as large as the total amount of data you are imaging to keep a reasonable number of differential images. This will vary dependent on the number of images you keep, so is only a rough practical guide.

Some comment that system restore isn't always reliable; if it works and solves the problem, great. But sometimes restores won't work or fail. And of course a restore point only covers a limited number of aspects of the system. That’s where disk imaging comes in.

dalchina, Feb 18, 2017
  5. corben Win User
    Thank you for the quick response!! I will try to do what you said and I will look more into Macrium Reflect

corben, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Changed locations of my Program Files folders. Can't undo it. - Similar Threads - Changed locations Program

2. Can't change downloads folder location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change downloads folder location: I reinstalled Windows 11 and I changed the location of my Downloads folder to OneDrive. I meant to changed it to OneDrive/Downloads, but mistakenly set it to my OneDrive. I am now unable to change the location in the Properties. Is there an alternative method?...
  3. Can't change downloads folder location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't change downloads folder location: I reinstalled Windows 11 and I changed the location of my Downloads folder to OneDrive. I meant to changed it to OneDrive/Downloads, but mistakenly set it to my OneDrive. I am now unable to change the location in the Properties. Is there an alternative method?...
  4. How to change the location of "Program Files" and "Users" folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change the location of "Program Files" and "Users" folder: Hello everyone, my device win 11, I have a little problem, I have moved the user folder and program files from Drive :C, to Drive :D. well, I forgot how to restore or re-move program files and users data to Drive : C again, I've searched in the browser but never found the...
  5. How to change the location of "Program Files" and "Users" folder

How to change the location of "Program Files" and "Users" folder: Hello everyone, my device win 11, I have a little problem, I have moved the user folder and program files from Drive :C, to Drive :D. well, I forgot how to restore or re-move program files and users data to Drive : C again, I've searched in the browser but never found the...
  6. Can't change documents folder location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't change documents folder location: So I have an issue very similar to this one, but felt it was too old to bump. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-documents-folder-location-because/01f84977-0271-49cf-9fc1-0e68b5aeb6d5I uninstalled OneDrive, so I don't think that can be the cause...
  7. Can't change documents folder location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change documents folder location: So I have an issue very similar to this one, but felt it was too old to bump. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-documents-folder-location-because/01f84977-0271-49cf-9fc1-0e68b5aeb6d5I uninstalled OneDrive, so I don't think that can be the cause...
  8. Can't change documents folder location

9. can't change location of Documents folder

in Windows 10 Support
    can't change location of Documents folder: chased down a bunch of posts for the error message but not found an answer yet I added a new registry entry that was a post suggestion to fix [img] I'm suspicious it has some thing to do with Documents being in OneDrive? The folder, mydocs, on my G drive is a copy of the...
  10. Folder And File Locations Changed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder And File Locations Changed: I have experienced my folders and files moved to new locations and have problems finding my documents now!! What is going on?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-and-file-locations-changed/d5b0912d-42ca-44fc-be7f-544537539826"