Windows 10: changed motherboard - can't activate windows 10

Discus and support changed motherboard - can't activate windows 10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello. I have a windows 10 Pro RETAIL license. I have upgrated my mobo, cpu and ram, and after installing of new drivers, windows is NOT activated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Burgurne, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Burgurne Win User

changed motherboard - can't activate windows 10

Hello.
    I have a windows 10 Pro RETAIL license. I have upgrated my mobo, cpu and ram, and after installing of new drivers, windows is NOT activated anymore. I have tried the tool to reactivate my digital license, but after logging in, it says that the windows servers are down, and that I should try again in some minutes. I have done that the last 3 hours! It is the page, where I should see the devices linked to my digital license, and there choose the one I'm running now, to activate my "new" PC, and remove the digital licence from the "old" PC.

What can I do about that?

:)

Burgurne, Jan 5, 2018

2. activate windows 10 after motherboard change

can't activate windows 10 after motherboard change

Captenvideo, Jan 5, 2018
  3. Changed my motherboard and now can't activate Windows 10 Preview 14271

Changed my motherboard and now can't activate Windows 10 Preview 14271. The Activate Windows won't leave my Screen.

What can I do?

Thanks

MichaelMurray2, Jan 5, 2018
  4. changed motherboard - can't activate windows 10

Same thing happened to me - it will always say the servers are down. You have to call/live chat with MS support.

PolarNettles, Jan 5, 2018
  5. You will have to Call MS, it is a simple procedure and takes about 5 minutes.

Josey Wales, Jan 5, 2018
  6. Burgurne Win User
    Okay, where do I find the number to call??

Burgurne, Jan 5, 2018
  7. I used the live chat - just click on the Get Help link.

changed motherboard - can't activate windows 10 [​IMG]

PolarNettles, Jan 5, 2018
  8. changed motherboard - can't activate windows 10

You live in Denmark, it would be a different number*Wink

Josey Wales, Jan 5, 2018
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    In a Command Prompt (Admin), try:
    slmgr /ato

NavyLCDR, Jan 5, 2018
  10. You can try the Get Help and live chat with MS support..........

Try and explain your problem.....

Since you have a retail license they will their max to help.........

Keep you product key handy....

imkvinayan, Jan 5, 2018
  11. Burgurne Win User
    Well, I screwed it *Redface. The livechat was not available to me, as it was about 2 am saturday morning here. I then figured out to find my PC's attached to my account. I then saw the "old" PC there, but could not see the "new" pc. In my stupidity I then removed the old PC in the idea that it would give me a free, unused digital license. But no, it removed the "old" PC as well as my digital license. When I next time tried to use the tool in the "activating" part og settings, I could only see my laptop (which is a windows 10 HOME), and it informed me, that I have no digital license to activate my Windows 10 Pro.
    I went out to buy a new win 10Pro OEM key, and now it is activated.

But of interest of next time this problem occur, where do I find the number to Micsoft activation about windows 10? In the good old "windows 7 days" the phone number stood in windows itself (after choosing region and contry), but I can't find it for windows 10??
    And is there any chance I can get my Windows 10 Pro RETAIL key back? *cry

Burgurne, Jan 5, 2018
  12. When I did the live chat during the workweek I was instantly connected. I think they are purposely making it difficult to find the phone number.

The support tech asked for my retail key and reapplied it to my account. If it's a retail key then you won't ever lose the use of it.

But since you already activated with an OEM license I don't think they can do anything at this point since you won't have any machines to apply the key to. You may just need to wait until you activate a new machine.

PolarNettles, Jan 6, 2018
  13. changed motherboard - can't activate windows 10

When you failed to activate the number to MS should be displayed.

Josey Wales, Jan 6, 2018
  14. Burgurne Win User
    It did not. I only showed a link to online chat (which was closed). Maybe the phone only works in USA, and not in a little country like Denmark. We are getting more and more used to Microsoft will sell products to us, but Microsoft will not deliver a full product. We don't have online chat 24/7, we don't have Cortana at al, but we must still pay full prize for the products.

Again, if anybody can show a link to Microsoft support-phone, where I can choose my region, I will be a happy viking changed motherboard - can't activate windows 10 :)

Burgurne, Jan 6, 2018
Thema:

changed motherboard - can't activate windows 10

1. changed motherboard - can't activate windows 10 - Similar Threads - changed motherboard can't

2. Windows 10 can't activate after change of motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 can't activate after change of motherboard: I recently changed my motherboard, twice. First time, reactivation of windows 10 worked, second time, it didn't.Activation menu shows code code 0x803FABBA. This code can't be found from microsoft help website.I tried to use troubleshoot -> I changed hardware on this device...
  3. Windows 10 can't activate after change of motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 can't activate after change of motherboard: I recently changed my motherboard, twice. First time, reactivation of windows 10 worked, second time, it didn't.Activation menu shows code code 0x803FABBA. This code can't be found from microsoft help website.I tried to use troubleshoot -> I changed hardware on this device...
  4. Windows 10 can't activate after change of motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Can't activate windows 10 after changing motherboard

Can't activate windows 10 after changing motherboard: Hello, I can't activate my windows 10 license after changing my motherboard. The license I have is a Windows 7 Pro license, that got changed into a Windows 10 license, when the upgrade was free. Steps I took previous to the motherboard change: - I linked my Microsoft...
  6. Changed motherboard, can't activate Windows now

Changed motherboard, can't activate Windows now: I just bought a brand new copy of Windows 10 Home from the Windows Microsoft Store last week. Today I had to swap my motherboard and now my copy of Windows is no longer activated, despite being logged into my Microsoft account. I went to the activation screen>troubleshoot>"I...
  7. Can't activate Windows 10 after motherboard change.

Can't activate Windows 10 after motherboard change.: I got Windows 10 Pro 64-bit during the free upgrade and at that time I had a different motherboard, not too long after that I upgraded to an ASUS Z-87 motherboard and I still happened to have the key for activation. During my time having that board I did a few reinstalls...
  8. Can't activate Windows 10 after motherboard change

Can't activate Windows 10 after motherboard change: I built out a new computer, but used the SSD with Windows 10 on it from my previous machine. It says that I can't activate because I don't have a valid license, but I can run the troubleshooter and it asks me what device I want to activate Windows on. The machine I'm using...
  9. Can't activate Windows 10 after motherboard change...

Can't activate Windows 10 after motherboard change...: Hi, beyond frustrated at this point. I bought Windows 7 Ultimate Edition digitally years ago. The link I had to access my product key at any time no longer exists. When Windows 10 launched I did the free upgrade at the time to Windows 10 Pro. I have had this problem in the...
  10. Can't activate Windows 10 after motherboard change

Can't activate Windows 10 after motherboard change: As title says Replaced my motherboard and now I can't activate my copy I'm signed into my Microsoft account automatically on my copy of Windows 10 Home Edition Gone through troubleshoot Clicked "I recently changed hardware on this device" My computer shows up...