Windows 10: Changed OneDrive properties and Office locks on file open/save browse

Discus and support Changed OneDrive properties and Office locks on file open/save browse in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I changed OneDrive properties and now all Office apps crash on file open/save browsing. My family and I were confused between OneDrive and the... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by RGSNovice, Apr 20, 2017.

1. RGSNovice Win User

Changed OneDrive properties and Office locks on file open/save browse

I changed OneDrive properties and now all Office apps crash on file open/save browsing.

My family and I were confused between OneDrive and the Documents library in our recent install of Office 365 Office 2016. Sometimes we saved to OneDrive when we wanted to save to local Documents. So, I stupidly changed OneDrive to a 'hidden' folder on one of our machines thinking that was a quick and easy fix. Since then Office products (Word, Excel, etc.) all crash on that machine (i.e. go into Not Responding mode) whenever we try to perform a file save as browse or file open browse and I have to use Task Manager to end them and we lose the document.

First, I tried the Office 365 Quick Repair and the Online Repair. Then I tried 'un-hiding' OneDrive and reran Online Repair. Then I tried enabling "Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage" in the Local Group Policy Editor>>Computer Configuration>>Administrative Templates>>Windows Components>>OneDrive, accessing it with Win+R gpedit.msc. I left the other OneDrive configurations as 'not configured'. I reran Online Repair again. That didn't work.

My Windows 10 Pro has OneDrive Uninstall in System Settings, Add or Remove Programs. So I uninstalled OneDrive. Then I ran AVG Registry optimization and cleaned up the registry. I rebooted, ran Office Online Repair again, rebooted, and tested Word file save as browse. Word locked up again.

I don't think I have a suitable restore point to roll back to and I'm afraid of reinstalling Windows because I am not experienced with this stuff.

Any suggestions?

:)

RGSNovice, Apr 20, 2017
  2. colesm Win User

Disable OneDrive Using Group Policy

The issue isn't with the open/save dialogue, it's within word when you click File, Open/Save before you click Computer and Browse. I think I found the solution though. It's a setting within the Office apps.

Office 2013 Tip: Skip the Cloud Integration - Thurrott.com

This removes onedrive personal but leaves our onedrive for business.

colesm, Apr 20, 2017
  3. Office Documents saving to OneDrive when told to save to C: since recent Win10 update

Since the recent really big and long windows 10 update all my office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) save new or save-as to OneDrive even though I select the folder path C:\users\<name>\Documents\...... there is then a delay while it saves the document.
    Then OneDrive says it's 'downloading x of y kB, 1 file remaining' as it downloads the file again off the OneDrive backup onto C:\. This is very annoying and frustrating. I've tried all the combinations of settings in File|Options|save about not showing backstage
    stuff, saving to PC, etc. but nothing stops this. This MUST be a bug introduced by the update as nothing else has changed and it MUST be a bug because I tell it to save to C:\ but it flatly refuses and goes and saves it to OneDrive. It also says that in the
    File Properties, and the 'Recent' list. Please can someone tell me when this will be corrected or an interim workaround?

Moved From: Office / OneDrive with Office / Windows 10 / Office 365 Home

David Talks, Apr 20, 2017
  4. sygnus21 Win User

Sounds like you messed stuff up pretty badly there by messing where you shouldn't.

That said, I think the best course of action is to do a repair install - How to Do a Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade. This will let you keep your programs and setting without having to reinstall all your programs. Once that's done, you might look to reinstall Office.

If that doesn't work, you may need to do a clean install - How to Clean Install Windows 10.

Hope this helps. And may I add leaving things alone if you're not sure what they do or how they could affect your system *Smile

sygnus21, Apr 21, 2017
  5. RGSNovice Win User
    Hi sygnus21. I guess not every lecture is a learning moment.

I've used hidden file attributes in DOS and Windows for some time and just assumed it was no coincidence that Office apps started locking up when I change the OneDrive folder attribute. That was my mistake.

After doing a Win10 in-place upgrade and repairing Office again, the problem was still not resolved. So I started troubleshooting from the beginning.

Through the process of elimination I found a glitch in my malware software that caused Office apps to lock up on file browse. So my issue was not related to OneDrive or me changing the folder attributes to hidden. I didn't think to check my security software first because my three other machines are running fine. I reinstalled the malware security tools and all is good with my kit now.

And may I add condescending replies aren't very endearing and give PC support technicians all around the world a bad image. My humble guess is there isn't a single user on this forum that hasn't tried something without being sure how it could affect their system.

RGSNovice, Apr 22, 2017
  6. Wullail Win User
    Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling oneDrive?

From an elevated command prompt

Complete Remove and Uninstall OneDrive

It’s possible to manually uninstall and remove OneDrive in Windows 10 by the step-by-step guide below. Run the commands to be executed in the process below.

Uninstall OneDrive

Terminate any process of OneDrive by running the following command:

taskkill /f /im OneDrive.exe

Uninstall OneDrive app by running one of the following commands :

In 32-bit Windows 10 (x86):

%SystemRoot%\System32\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall

in 64-bit Windows 10 (x64):

%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall

Then to re-install.

if you’re using 64-bit
    %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe
    if you’re using 32-bit
    %SystemRoot%\System32\OneDriveSetup.exe

Wullail, Apr 22, 2017
  7. sygnus21 Win User
    And my statement would still be the same. And others here would (and have) said the same. Wasn't trying to be condescending. Was just trying to help.

Anyway I'm glad you found the issue.

Peace *Cool

sygnus21, Apr 23, 2017
  8. RGSNovice Win User

Sygnus21, your original response was clear. Your follow up reply, not so much. No one can tell what you mean that "your statement would be the same" - I guess that means that we all make mistakes and you'd still throw down the big, condescending hammer for no apparent reason.

So let me be crystal clear about my feedback to you: Words are important. You said I 'messed stuff up pretty badly there by messing where you shouldn't" and I should leave "...things alone if ... not sure what they do..." Those words are lecturing and condescending and that's exactly how I felt reading them. And they didn't help address the root cause.

If you hadn't opened, and closed, your reply with me as 'messing stuff up' I would have taken that as a learning opportunity and a gesture of genuine help - not a belittling lecture. No one likes to be lectured to or berated.

If I have a problem in the future and post for help, please don't reply. . . . Randy

RGSNovice, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Changed OneDrive properties and Office locks on file open/save browse - Similar Threads - Changed OneDrive properties

2. Recent Files in Windows 10 not populating when opening/saving in Office and OneDrive...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recent Files in Windows 10 not populating when opening/saving in Office and OneDrive...: Hi there, I have a rather unusual problem with a client's PC. It seems that whenever a file in their OneDrive folder is opened and they Save a Copy to another location in their OneDrive, it doesn't show in Recent Files in Windows 10 like it normally should. The same thing...
  3. Recent Files in Windows 10 not populating when opening/saving in Office and OneDrive...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recent Files in Windows 10 not populating when opening/saving in Office and OneDrive...: Hi there, I have a rather unusual problem with a client's PC. It seems that whenever a file in their OneDrive folder is opened and they Save a Copy to another location in their OneDrive, it doesn't show in Recent Files in Windows 10 like it normally should. The same thing...
  4. Recent Files in Windows 10 not populating when opening/saving in Office and OneDrive...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Open Office files from OneDrive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Open Office files from OneDrive: Hi, I have a user that when they click on a shortcut to a office document or click on a file to a office document that are stored on OneDrive the splash scree shows but then the splash scree goes away and the document doesn't open. I copy one of the files to the temp...
  6. changing file properties

changing file properties: how can i change a WEBP file into a JPG file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-file-properties/e67e8077-f13f-4910-ba58-69ad61363ad8
  7. Office files not opening in onedrive

Office files not opening in onedrive: Hi, my new surface 3 laptop was delievered today. I am connected to the onedrive and can open documents online, but cannot open any MS docs from the windows explorer. I have tried disconnecting/reconnecting with onedrive and restarting, but that doesn't work. Can you please...
  8. open office file is locked by unknown user

open office file is locked by unknown user: how to unlock open office file when it is locked by unknown user. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/open-office-file-is-locked-by-unknown-user/cf3be72e-7158-4b75-960d-45fb799c854e
  9. Windows 1903 - File / Open / Browse issues (Office 365)

Windows 1903 - File / Open / Browse issues (Office 365): Good morning I have been in discussion with a Microsoft agent over on the Office 365 forum, and have been directed over here regarding this issue. Office 365 Thread Here is a brief summary: Issue description: There is a 5-30 seconds delay when using File/Open/Browse...
  10. Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

in Windows 10 Support
    Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive: Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings I am trying to save my files to OneDrive as a default. It has always worked as my default. For some reason, the default save location is now Recent. Something caused it to change. All default locations settings in Word Options,...