Windows 10: Changed password will not work

Discus and support Changed password will not work in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have changed my laptop password last week, I have received an e-mail acknowledging the change but the laptop will only be opened with the old... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by camanon, Jul 24, 2017.

1. camanon Win User

Changed password will not work

I have changed my laptop password last week, I have received an e-mail acknowledging the change but the laptop will only be opened with the old password. My Hotmail account, however, uses the new password. Can anyone tell me how to make them sync?

I have changed the laptop account password while connected to the internet, after Windows 10 did not allow me to change the password when offline.

Thank you.

:)

camanon, Jul 24, 2017

2. Cortana cannot connect to internet via Voice command

CORTANA NOT CONNECTING TO INTERNET MY INTERNET IS STRONG

Cortona will not work, Jul 24, 2017
  3. Windows 10 password will not work

I changed my Microsoft password and when I did that I was no longer able to sign into my Windows 10 account using my Microsoft password, my Windows Password, or my local pin#. I tried doing a startup reset, a system restore to a point prior to any changes,
    and I reinstalled windows 10 on top of my current version and nothing works. I tried signing in with my Microsoft password and computer says it is not a valid password, but I can sign into my Microsoft account from another computer and I can sign onto my
    other computer just fine. I just started clicking all kinds of things trying to get in and somehow I got into Windows. Now I went in to try and reset the password and but it requires my old password and it will not take my new Microsoft password or my old
    password. For now I have removed the password protection and hopefully that will allow me to get back on my computer after I log off. However, I really need to have my computer password protected. All I need to do is change that Windows password, but since
    somehow that was changed to something that I do not know, I am not able to do this. I can't make any changes in my settings without knowing what the password is set to. Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this?

SheilaRasmussen, Jul 24, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello camanon and welcome to TenForums *Smile

First you need to verify that you are logging into your laptop with a Microsoft account:

Please read the following tutorial and check out the links to make sure you understand what type of account you have:
    How to Tell if Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10

If you do have a Microsoft account then you should be able to sync your account when it is connected to the internet, make sure it is on by following the tutorial below:
    Enable or Disable Sync Your Settings in Windows 10

Hope this helps!

philc43, Jul 24, 2017
  5. camanon Win User
    Thank you for the tip. I was not aware of the different kinds of accounts. It is a Microsoft account, not a local one. The Sync option is open, including passwords, but that still doesn't happen. While my Hotmail/Outlook opens with the new password, the laptop still requires the old one.

Any ideas?

camanon, Jul 25, 2017
  6. philc43 Win User
    philc43, Jul 25, 2017
  7. camanon Win User
    I tried to do option 6 but did not succeed, as the laptop and Microsoft account have different understandings of what an old password is. I have originally changed the password using the option in Settings, while the computer was online - so I'm puzzled as to why it changed it remotely but not locally.

I should probably remove all passwords and start from zero, choosing a new password. But if you have an idea as to why this anomaly occurs, I would be happy to hear.

Thanks

camanon, Jul 25, 2017
  8. philc43 Win User

Have you done a restart rather than a shutdown to see if it makes a difference? Sometimes it can take a while for the sync to happen but I would expect it to occur quite quickly, usually within an hour of being online.

Also try option 7 which takes you to your Microsoft account online. It might be different to your Hotmail.

philc43, Jul 25, 2017
  9. camanon Win User
    I have changed the password last week. Since then I have shut down the computer several times so the system had plenty of time to sync. I haven't done option 7, but will do next time.

Thanks

camanon, Jul 25, 2017
  10. philc43 Win User
    I asked if you had done a restart - this is different but not many people realise it. A shutdown uses a form of hibernate which saves your system into memory so that it can start up quickly. A restart closes everything down and does not use memory to speed up the boot process. Sometimes the restart can trigger things to happen by resetting all the background processes.

philc43, Jul 25, 2017
  11. camanon Win User
    I understand now; no, I haven't done a restart. I probably should have thought of that - last week, the latest Windows 10 was not installed after shut down-start after a few hours; I had to restart the computer for the update to finally kick in. I will try to restart later today.

Thanks

camanon, Jul 25, 2017
  12. camanon Win User
    Yesterday and today I have restarted the laptop - still requires the old password. Is there anything else I should try, besides everything suggested?

Alternatively, is there a way to scrap completely all passwords and replace them with brand new ones?

camanon, Jul 26, 2017
  13. philc43 Win User

Did you try option 7 as suggested earlier?

philc43, Jul 26, 2017
  14. camanon Win User
    I tried. It only changes the password for e-mail and other on-line things. The laptop does not seem to notice and that's more important to me. I often use the laptop offline.

I had this laptop and Windows 10 for two years now and never had a problem of the sort. Now I have changed the password right after a Windows 10 update.

camanon, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Changed password will not work - Similar Threads - Changed password

2. Computer won't recognize password ms live change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer won't recognize password ms live change: I have gone through password recovery on my personal windows machine 18 times, but my computer won't recognize my new password and I cannot get the files on my personal computer....
  3. Computer won't recognize password ms live change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer won't recognize password ms live change: I have gone through password recovery on my personal windows machine 18 times, but my computer won't recognize my new password and I cannot get the files on my personal computer....
  4. I didn't change my password but i can't log in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I didn't change my password but i can't log in: I can't log in to my mail and forgot my security passwords. I created that mail a long time ago so naturally i can't remember any kind of information. I tried to save it by sending a mail to my other accounts but it automatically puts me into a security password page. Since i...
  5. I didn't change my password but i can't log in

I didn't change my password but i can't log in: I can't log in to my mail and forgot my security passwords. I created that mail a long time ago so naturally i can't remember any kind of information. I tried to save it by sending a mail to my other accounts but it automatically puts me into a security password page. Since i...
  6. I didn't change my password but i can't log in

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Pls after changing my Microsoft account password on my phone will it log me out of my laptop

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Pls after changing my Microsoft account password on my phone will it log me out of my laptop: Pls after changing my Microsoft account password on my phone will it log me out of my laptop ***Move from Microsoft 365 and Office / Excel / For education / Windows***...
  8. Ask yo change password even though ive never had one

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ask yo change password even though ive never had one: Hi, I woke up this morning to see that when I try to boot my PC. It states, "The users password must be changed before signing in." Although, I've never used a password to log in. All I'd do is press my space bar and it'd load me into my system. I've had this pc for around 4...
  9. Ask yo change password even though ive never had one

Ask yo change password even though ive never had one: Hi, I woke up this morning to see that when I try to boot my PC. It states, "The users password must be changed before signing in." Although, I've never used a password to log in. All I'd do is press my space bar and it'd load me into my system. I've had this pc for around 4...
  10. On my windows 10 pc, I was signing in with a pin and it recently changed to password and I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    On my windows 10 pc, I was signing in with a pin and it recently changed to password and I...: On my windows 10 pc, I was signing in with a pin and it recently changed to password and I don't remember the password. How can I change it back to pin if I don't see that option on the login screen?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows password changed and will not work