Windows 10: Changed recycle bin icons but empty / full doesn't work

Discus and support Changed recycle bin icons but empty / full doesn't work in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I liked the recycle bin icons used in Windows 8 better than Windows 10, so I changed them successfully to the Win 8 version. But, the new icons do not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by GARoss, Feb 5, 2016.

1. GARoss Win User

Changed recycle bin icons but empty / full doesn't work

I liked the recycle bin icons used in Windows 8 better than Windows 10, so I changed them successfully to the Win 8 version. But, the new icons do not change to reflect full / empty even though both have been changed. The standard Win 10 recycle bin icons do work okay when I returned to defaults.

Any ideas why the new ones don't change as they should? *Confused

:)

GARoss, Feb 5, 2016

2. Recycle Bin Icon

There are only two icons for the Recycle Bin: empty and full. Even if you have only one item, the icon will show a full bin.

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook], Feb 5, 2016
  3. Dvj2302 Win User
    Recycle Bin No Refreshing on Start Menu

I've been facing this issue for the last few months.

The recycle bin icon (It is not a custom icon. Just the plain old one) does not refresh on the start menu but does refresh on the desktop. If I empty the desktop icon and then pin it to start, the icon on the start menu stays empty despite my having moved new
    stuff to the recycle bin.

Similarly, if the recycle bin icon on the desktop is full and I add it to the start menu then, it stays full despite my having deleted the contents.

I've tried interchanging the full and empty icons and back to no avail.

Please help!

Dvj2302, Feb 5, 2016
  4. BunnyJ New Member

I think refreshing the desktop will help out.

BunnyJ, Feb 5, 2016
  5. Cliff S New Member
    They're not refreshing. Here is a tutorial at Seven Forums: Recycle Bin - Fix For Custom Icons Not Refreshing - Windows 7 Help Forums @Brink could tell you if this is still current for Windows 10 also.

Cliff S, Feb 5, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Feb 5, 2016
  7. Cliff S New Member
    I just tested it Shawn as you posted, it sure does, and for the recycle bin on the taskbar toolbar it works too*Smile
    I have the reg key favorited in RegEdit now, for when I change themes(different theme/different bin)
    For the OP:

Changed recycle bin icons but empty / full doesn't work [​IMG]

Your custom icon will have a different folder though.

To save the keys position:

Cliff S, Feb 5, 2016
  8. GARoss Win User

Windows 10 Administrators & Pro Users are the best! Where else could a hapless Windows user like me get immediate help that is right on the money!

As my .ico file was located in my Pictures folder I just needed to add a ,0 to each of the three lines, then did a Desktop refresh & done!

Thank you all very much! *Thumbs

GARoss, Feb 5, 2016
  9. Cliff S New Member
    Remember favorite the key for when you change icons again. This is also useful for other keys you might change off & on.

Cliff S, Feb 5, 2016
  10. GARoss Win User
    I selected Full, then Favorites as you indicated & Favorite name: DefaultIcon was listed under Add to Favorites. Is this correct as DefaultIcon is listed for empty & (Default) as well?

GARoss, Feb 5, 2016
  11. Cliff S New Member
    It just brings you to the key, from there you have the sub-keys.
    RegEdit closed up

After clicking DefaultIcon favorite

From there you can change the sub-keys(the actual settings)

Cliff S, Feb 5, 2016
  12. GARoss Win User
    I understand now. Thanks!

GARoss, Feb 5, 2016
  13. JohnBurns Win User

A little late, but just found your post here, Cliff. Thanks for providing a working solution. I appreciate it.

JohnBurns, Nov 29, 2016
  14. Cliff S New Member
    You're welcome John, only one thing to add, would be, on all my computers, real or virtual, with Windows 10, in Regedit I bookmark/favorite it.

Cliff S, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Changed recycle bin icons but empty / full doesn't work - Similar Threads - Changed recycle bin

2. Change "Empty Recycle Bin" icon and text in context menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change "Empty Recycle Bin" icon and text in context menu: I am looking to change the text possibly the icon displayed in the context menu when right clicking on the recycle bin. I have seem plenty of people show how to remove or add it from the context menu, but how would one alter it?...
  3. Emptied recycle bin

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Emptied recycle bin: Hello,I tried speaking to online help but was proptly ignored. My files were all moved to the recycle bin thinking they were still on my hard drive and not just on OneDrive, and then the recycle bin was emptied yesterday. Obviously having seen what happened, and the mistake...
  4. Recycle Bin icon not changing when emptying

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recycle Bin icon not changing when emptying: When I empty my trash the icon does not change from one with trash to an empty one. If I run the mouse over the icon it updates and changes to empty. I tried a DISM software check and rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin from admin CMD. There seems to be nothing wrong. Searches...
  5. Empty Recycle Bin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Empty Recycle Bin: I have recently had a new Hard Drive installe. Having re-installed my software and apps I have a list of 42 files in recycle bin that will not delete https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/empty-recycle/6bacd00c-4699-478a-9de7-45cab25e6dd3
  6. recycle bin empty

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    recycle bin empty: I am running win 10 and my recycle bin is always empty https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle-empty/d2651903-ae9d-4ed2-806a-e2a3adb4d751
  7. empty of recycle bin

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    empty of recycle bin: hi everyone I tried to empty my recycle bin , but I couldn't recycle bin icon is off when I try to click it can you help me ��������...
  8. Recycle bin not emptying

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recycle bin not emptying: Hi I have had my new laptop with windows 10 for 2 weeks. When I go in and empty the recycle bin not all the items are deleted. When I right click on the items and hit delete they still don't delete. Please help. Howelm...
  9. Recycle bin will not empty

in Windows 10 Support
    Recycle bin will not empty: I used a file synchronizer to get rid of a bunch of images and the program sent all the small files to the recycle bin. Anyway, there must be a thousand small file in my recycle bin that will not empty. The "empty recycle bin" begins the process by listing all the files, but...
  10. Empty Recycle Bin?

in Windows 10 Support
    Empty Recycle Bin?: Hi, New here . Lots of questions, but for now....How do I empty the recycle bin. I found how to access "Recycle Bin" on desktop but when I click on it a long list comes up and I have to delete each one individually and even that does not remove them. Where is the old reliable...