Windows 10: Changed to Standard account and can't get back to Admin. a/c

Discus and support Changed to Standard account and can't get back to Admin. a/c in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi,I changed to standard account and can't get back to administrator account to install programs.When I try to run"net user administrator /active:yes"... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Timo, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Timo Win User

Changed to Standard account and can't get back to Admin. a/c

Hi,I changed to standard account and can't get back to administrator account to install programs.When I try to run"net user administrator /active:yes" or go to control panel and click"change account" I get a dialogue box for permission to make changes but there is no "Yes",only a "no" option.
    Many thanks in advance.

:)

2. How to merge an Admin and a standard account?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me assist you.

I understand you are not able to access certain admin options on the standard account. As the standard account is your main account currently on which you have installed all your updates, I suggest you to change it to an Admin account. To change it
    to the admin account, login to the Admin account and change the account type of the standard account. Refer the steps below.

1. Click on Start and go to
    Settings.

2. Tap or click Accounts, and then click
    Family and other accounts.

3. Under Other users, tap the standard account, and then click
    Edit.

4. Click the Account type box, choose Administrator, and then tap or click
    OK.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pawan Dhondiyal, Apr 18, 2017
  3. How to merge an Admin and a standard account?

Original title:- admin logon

Prior to upgrading to win 10 I had an administrator account on this system. I was advised by the system to create a standard account which I did. Now when I log onto the system with either account I cannot access some directories which the administrator
    could access. How can I merge these two accounts back to be just an administrator account so I can once again access every thing. The show all files is enabled and I also do not know that if I delete the standard account that I could loose all the updates
    and info that has changed since the upgrade and creating the standard account. Help!!!!!

rudedognowak, Apr 18, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

A standard user cannot activate the Administrator account - otherwise any standard user could become an administrator and defeat the entire purpose of having standard accounts.

What accounts show up under members if you open a command prompt or powershell and run:
    net localgroup administrators

Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063] (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Users\John>net localgroup administrators Alias name administrators Comment Administrators have complete and unrestricted access to the computer/domain Members ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Administrator John The command completed successfully.[/quote] For example, mine shows two user accounts as administrators: Administrator and John.

NavyLCDR, Apr 18, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Welcome to TenForums @Timo

There really ought to be a warning message if you try to demote your last remaining administrator to a standard user - but there isn't, and you're not the first to fall into this trap.

You can recover by enabling the built-in Administrator account. Log in as Administrator (by default it has no password) then promote your account back to an administrator again. Once repaired, you should disable the built-in Administrator. It's too powerful for every day use and may allow malware to bypass the UAC.

Without any admin accounts left, the only way to enable the built-in Administrator account is Option Four in this tutorial.
    Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10

You should think about creating another local account and making it an administrator. Useful for emergency repairs in future.

6. Yann Win User
    For example, mine shows two user accounts as administrators: Administrator and John.[/quote] Hello there. I am running into the same issue please help. Thanks

7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Well, I have the exact same first step to help you as the post you quoted....

I fail to understand why people ask for help on the forums and then don't start with the troubleshooting steps we offer.

What accounts show up under members if you open a command prompt or powershell and run:
    net localgroup administrators

NavyLCDR, Apr 19, 2017
  8. Yann Win User

Thanks for getting back to me. I see 5 accounts:

1. administrator
    2. default account
    3. guest
    4. homegroup
    5. and another account I created.

I am unable to enable admin account. I wish someone could take control of my tablet. It has been more than a week since I am trying to find a way around this issue.

9. NavyLCDR New Member
    You say that "5. and another account I created" is listed under administrators. Can you log into that account? If yes, then log into that account and you can change other accounts to administrators:
    Change Account Type in Windows 10 - Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

That being said, though.... there should be no way that guest is in the administrators group, I really don't think default account and homegroup should be in in the administrators group either.

NavyLCDR, Apr 19, 2017
  10. Yann Win User
    I can log in the account I created, but I cannot make any changes. It keeps saying I should enter username and password for the admin account but OK button is greyed out. What I am supposed to do to bypass this? Thank you

11. f14tomcat Win User
    It may be greyed out because you haven't tried to enter anything yet. Enter Administrator for the account name and a space for password. a space or blank. See what happens.

This is all that should be in the results of the net command. I am dhubb, the other is the built in Admin.

Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> net localgroup administrators
    Alias name administrators
    Comment Administrators have complete and unrestricted access to the computer/domain

Members

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Administrator
    dhubb
    The command completed successfully.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

f14tomcat, Apr 19, 2017
  12. Yann Win User
    When the windows that says to continue, enter an admin user name and password pops up, there no where else clickable except NO and that takes me back. I completely don't understand. I even tried factory reset and it didn't work either

13. NavyLCDR New Member

I would suggest you follow Bree's advice in post #3:

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Changed to Standard account and can't get back to Admin. a/c - Similar Threads - Changed Standard account

2. How to change standard account back to admin account with "requested operation requires...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change standard account back to admin account with "requested operation requires...: Hello there! I accidentally changed my laptop from an admin account to a standard account. I keep trying to access the change user account and everything else but keep running into "requested operation requires elevation" and accessing things like config through load hive...
  3. How to change standard account back to admin account with "requested operation requires...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change standard account back to admin account with "requested operation requires...: Hello there! I accidentally changed my laptop from an admin account to a standard account. I keep trying to access the change user account and everything else but keep running into "requested operation requires elevation" and accessing things like config through load hive...
  4. Is it possible to change my standard user account back into an admin account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to change my standard user account back into an admin account?: When I was messing around in my settings I accidentally turned my account into a standers account without realizing it. I’m the only account on my computer and there is no admin account. Please help...
  5. Is it possible to change my standard user account back into an admin account?

Is it possible to change my standard user account back into an admin account?: When I was messing around in my settings I accidentally turned my account into a standers account without realizing it. I’m the only account on my computer and there is no admin account. Please help...
  6. Unable to change account user type back from Standard to admin.

Unable to change account user type back from Standard to admin.: I changed user account type to standard. Now I can't change it back or add admin user without a password. Is there someway I can fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-change-account-user-type-back-from/dda9b176-fc01-49e1-8be4-2a31d49247f2
  7. Accidentally changed my only Admin account to standard account now I can't change it back....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidentally changed my only Admin account to standard account now I can't change it back....: I accidentally changed my only admin account to a standard account on my laptop OS Windows 10my administrator account used to be my work account which isn't working anymore since my account has been deactivated when we shut down our company. I was trying to change the admin...
  8. Accidentally changed my only Admin account to standard account now I can't change it back....

Accidentally changed my only Admin account to standard account now I can't change it back....: I accidentally changed my only admin account to a standard account on my laptop OS Windows 10my administrator account used to be my work account which isn't working anymore since my account has been deactivated when we shut down our company. I was trying to change the admin...
  9. Accidentally changed my only Admin account to standard account now I can't change it back....

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  10. Can't go back from standard to admin

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can't go back from standard to admin: my account was admin before then I tried to putting it to standard because I thought that would fix the log in when you start your pc. then now I'm stuck in standard. I can't open cmd(admin) can't open some apps with uac in it, can't open netplwiz it won't let me.it says sign...