Windows 10: Changing a HDD To a SSD

Discus and support Changing a HDD To a SSD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Good day to all. I have a windows 10 desktop with two drives installed the main C drive is a SSD which holds all my programs and of course the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by menu, Jul 26, 2017.

1. menu Win User

Changing a HDD To a SSD

Good day to all.
    I have a windows 10 desktop with two drives installed the main C drive is a SSD which holds all my programs and of course the operating system.
    Second drive is a HDD which is F drive has all my documents pictures music and so on. Now I have a spare SSD that I was thinking of changing to the second HDD F to the spare SSD. If I was to copy and paste all the info from the HDD F to the SSD would I be able to remove the HDD F and connect the SSD is that possible without any pc configuration.
    Or will it be just a straight swap over?
    Many Thanks to all .
    David.

:)

2. Clone HDD to a SSD

You might have to reactivate, but this should be done automatically since its the same computer. You are just changing the storage device (HDD to SDD).

If you are prompted to reactivate Windows 10, here is how you find the product key:

Press Windows key + X

Click Command Prompt (admin)

Enter the following command:

wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey

Hit Enter

The product key will be revealed, copy the product key then enter it

Click Start > Settings > Update & security
    > Activation > Change the product key then enter the new product key then click
    Next to Activate

If you are unable to activate Windows 10 after all the above and you are certain you have the correct edition installed, then please attempt phone activation:

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Andre Da Costa, Jul 26, 2017
  3. Clone HDD to a SSD

I'm planing to upgrade my new laptop HDD to SSD while using my HDD as a storage media on my laptop. My laptop came with windows 10 Home OEM. If I cloned the HDD will the windows be activated after I
    cloned or will it be deactivated?? And what happend to other activated softwares like MS Office and Antivirus Softwares???

Thank you for your support.

Kasun Anuradha, Jul 26, 2017
  4. swarfega Win User

Changing a HDD To a SSD

You could fix the new SSD temporally so its hanging loose if you have spare sata power and data cables. This way you can copy your user files from the HD to the SSD. Once its done, power off, remove the HD and mount the SSD properly.

There is no reconfiguring as both the BIOS and Windows should see how you have the drives plugged in.

swarfega, Jul 26, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
    Sure - if it is a data drive just copy/paste will work fine.

If you have space you could copy F onto C, replace the drive with F on with the SSD and copy your data back.

If you don't have space on C you need to connect the new drive at the same time somehow (put it in a USB enclosure or plug it into motherboard) to copy your data over from one to the other.

6. menu Win User
    Many thanks to all. All done and working okay

menu, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Changing a HDD To a SSD

1. Changing a HDD To a SSD - Similar Threads - Changing HDD SSD

2. Ssd to hdd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ssd to hdd: I recently purchased a new ssd for my PC but realised the secondary slot doesn't support it gen 4. My current ssd is gen 3 and is supported by the secondary slot. However my OS and things are installed on it. If I installed the new one and moved the old to slot 2, would that...
  3. HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD to SSD: how do I transfer my windows 10 OS to my new SSD, so 2 Drives. Old SSD with the old files and New SSD with the windows 10. But still being able to access the data on the old.The new SSD is a Samsung 870 EVO SATA 2.5" 1TB.spec:Dell Inc. 0PXWHKi7-8700non-kgtx 1060 16 gb ram...
  4. Changing from hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing from hdd to ssd: I brought a laptop with preinstalled windows and it runs a hdd but i need to move the booting to ssd. How do i do that and will i lose my original windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-from-hdd-to-ssd/371aa436-0d29-4fad-bbcb-78e64651bdce
  5. Changing windows from hdd to ssd

Changing windows from hdd to ssd: So my computer is old and I have been upgrading it. Windows is on the first memory driver which is HDD but I have an SSD installed. I Want to change windows to the SSD. There are many different ways on the internet, but all of them use programs which I prefer not to. Can't I...
  6. needed to change hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Customization
    needed to change hdd to ssd: hi!! may i know which ssd hard disk is suitable for lenovo yoga 520 as when i transfer some file it is too slow already please give suggestion thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/needed-to-change-hdd-to-ssd/95a19438-5ab8-4ea4-be9c-80700a597c5d
  7. Freezing after change HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Freezing after change HDD to SSD: Dear Admin/Moderator My desktop is Lenovo Q190 with intel i3, 4GB RAM. I changed internal HDD with SSD (Hikvision SSD 120GB). I make 2 partitions : 1st. 93GB and 2nd.13GB. I Installed clean Windows 10 Pro ver.1093. It was running well for an hour, suddenly Freezing and...
  8. HDD to SSD change, Want to install Windows 10 in SSD

HDD to SSD change, Want to install Windows 10 in SSD: Hello There, I have purchased a laptop Model: 81DE(Lenovo Ideapad330-15IKB U) with preinstalled genuine windows in it activated by digital lisense. Now I have installed SSD drive and want to install Windows 10 into the SSD drive, How to install windows 10 into that drive??...
  9. Changing from HDD to SSD

Changing from HDD to SSD: I have installed an SSD drive to my desktop PC. I want this drive to be the boot up drive and have a clean copy of windows 10. What is the best way to go about this?...
  10. ssd and hdd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ssd and hdd: What should i buy? 128gb ssd and 500gb hdd or 500gb ssd. And if i will buy 128gb ssd and 500gb hdd and i will install win10 on the hdd, the ssd will help win10 to boot? 23715

Users found this page by searching for:

1. changing from hdd to ssd