Windows 10: Changing account user without losing data

Discus and support Changing account user without losing data in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I am setting up parental controls on my sons laptop which is currently logged in under my account as administrator. I would like to set him up with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by AdrianaWQ, Feb 20, 2024.

1. AdrianaWQ Win User

Changing account user without losing data

Hi, I am setting up parental controls on my sons laptop which is currently logged in under my account as administrator. I would like to set him up with his own account, but need to keep everything downloaded on the laptop, such as games, settings etc. Can you please advise how I can do this?

:)

AdrianaWQ, Feb 20, 2024

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Feb 20, 2024
  3. Arul_D Win User
    How do you change a user account to an administrator account in Windows 10?

Hi Fiona,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to go to control panel and check your user account status. Right click on the start button and select control panel in the menu. In the control panel, click on the 'view by' option in the top right and select 'large icons'. Now, click
    on 'User accounts' and check if your account is listed as Administrator. If it is not displayed as Admin account, click on the option 'Change user account type' and select 'Administrator' and apply changes. Try these steps and let us know the results. If you
    have already tried, please let us know what all troubleshooting steps you have tried so far, so that we can provided you suggestion accordingly.

Arul_D, Feb 20, 2024
  4. Changing account user without losing data

Linking Microsoft Account to my Local Account Caused me to Lose Administrator Access

Hi,

Welcome and thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to refer to the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Try to login to your temporary user account, enable built in administrator account and try to change the account settings.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.

• Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open
      Command Prompt.

• Type the following command and hit Enter:

• net user administrator /active: yes
      (Check for the spaces)
    4. Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.

Note: Please follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done.

Step 2: Follow the below steps,

• Type User Accounts in the Search box from the desktop and select
      Change the User Accounts.

• Here you will be able to see all the user accounts on your computer.

• Select the User account and see if it is a Standard user account or Administrator.

• If it is standard user then, change it to Administrator.

• Now, log out from the Built-in Administrator account and try to log-in with your Administrator account.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 20, 2024
Thema:

Changing account user without losing data

1. Changing account user without losing data - Similar Threads - Changing account user

2. Rename User Folder without the Danger of Losing Data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Rename User Folder without the Danger of Losing Data: I accidentally set the username to Chinese when buying a new computer, which is a lot of inconvenience, is there any way to rename the user folder without losing data...
  3. Rename User Folder without the Danger of Losing Data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Rename User Folder without the Danger of Losing Data: I accidentally set the username to Chinese when buying a new computer, which is a lot of inconvenience, is there any way to rename the user folder without losing data...
  4. Changing account user without losing data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing account user without losing data: Hi, I am setting up parental controls on my sons laptop which is currently logged in under my account as administrator. I would like to set him up with his own account, but need to keep everything downloaded on the laptop, such as games, settings etc. Can you please advise...
  5. Changing account user without losing data

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing account user without losing data: Hi, I am setting up parental controls on my sons laptop which is currently logged in under my account as administrator. I would like to set him up with his own account, but need to keep everything downloaded on the laptop, such as games, settings etc. Can you please advise...
  6. Changing MS account without losing email data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing MS account without losing email data: I'm not even sure how to phrase my question. My intent is to change my MS subscription from one account to another - thereby nulifying my Skype account under the existing name. How do I transfer my current MS account say, *** Email address is removed for privacy *** to a new...
  7. Changing MS account without losing email data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing MS account without losing email data: I'm not even sure how to phrase my question. My intent is to change my MS subscription from one account to another - thereby nulifying my Skype account under the existing name. How do I transfer my current MS account say, *** Email address is removed for privacy *** to a new...
  8. Change email connected to microsoft account or change microsoft account without losing data

Change email connected to microsoft account or change microsoft account without losing data: Hi, I'm trying to change the microsoft account on my son's computer to be a child account under my name. I noticed I have two adult accounts in my own name so changed one of them into my son's name and age and it was made a child account. Whenever I try to enter that...
  9. Changing device admin without losing data

Changing device admin without losing data: I need to change my device admin account from my personal one to my work account. I have both Microsoft accounts added to the same admin profile on the machine but I need to change the primary contact information and account info from one to the other without losing any of my...
  10. How to change microsoft accounts without losing data.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to change microsoft accounts without losing data.: I want to change from a parents account to my account without losing any of my saved data on my drive, how would i do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-microsoft-accounts-without-losing/9c20aabb-94fb-4045-b01b-36860bd7d8ca"