Windows 10: changing accounts from local to Microsoft?

Discus and support changing accounts from local to Microsoft? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Just a quick question: I have an old netbook on which I have always signed in to a local account, and this is an administrator account. If I want to... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Smiley1, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Smiley1 Win User

changing accounts from local to Microsoft?

Just a quick question: I have an old netbook on which I have always signed in to a local account, and this is an administrator account. If I want to sign in with my Microsoft account instead, would it still be an administrator account? And would I still be able to use all the programs and access all the documents as before? I just installed Windows 10 Anniversary Edition on it.

:)

Smiley1, Oct 24, 2016
  2. Arun B J Win User

Changing local accounts to Family accounts in Windows 10

Hi Gregory,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

If you want to use Family Safety then you need to have Microsoft Account for the Kids. If your Kids doesn't currently sign in with a Microsoft account, they can select Sign in with a Microsoft account and then enter their email
    address. You'll use their email address to add them to your family Safety.

I suggest you to refer the link article below and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/add-child-account

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Oct 24, 2016
  3. Changing local accounts to Family accounts in Windows 10

I am interested in setting up Family Safety for my kids. However, their previous accounts from the earlier Windows were not established as family accounts, only local standard ones. Is there any way of transferring their current accounts over to the family
    settings without losing content? I home school and each kid has math software installed within their own accounts that will wipe all progress if I have to reinstall it after creating whole new accounts.

Gregory Van Brunt, Oct 24, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

Yes, you will still be an administrator and still have access to your documents. You can switch back to a local account at any time, if you wish. More in these Tutorials.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

Before you start, you might like to create a second local administrator account. It's sometimes useful to have another way to log in as an administrator in case you need to fix something and are locked out of your main account.

5. Smiley1 Win User
    OK, that looks easy. Thanks! *Smile

Smiley1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. changing accounts from local to Microsoft? - Similar Threads - changing accounts local

2. Can't change sign in from local account to Microsoft account on laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change sign in from local account to Microsoft account on laptop: I cannot change Windows sign in from local account to Microsoft account.From Account Settings I select, "Sign in with Microsoft account instead", I enter my Microsoft email & PW, I get Authenticator notification and I approve.I get the "Sign into this computer using Microsoft...
  3. Change from local account or local configuration without Microsoft account to Office 365...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change from local account or local configuration without Microsoft account to Office 365...: I have Windows 10 with local configuration without personal Microsoft account and, in "Access work or school", I logged in with my company's account.:My big problem is that, now, I would like to switch my local account to my work access account office 365. Is there a way to...
  4. Change from local account or local configuration without Microsoft account to Office 365...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change from local account or local configuration without Microsoft account to Office 365...: I have Windows 10 with local configuration without personal Microsoft account and, in "Access work or school", I logged in with my company's account.:My big problem is that, now, I would like to switch my local account to my work access account office 365. Is there a way to...
  5. Change from local account or local configuration without Microsoft account to Office 365...

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Changing from local account to microsoft account Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing from local account to microsoft account Windows 11: HiI've tried to change from a local account to Microsoft account.Go fine till i get to the screen where they ask for my password for last time.Keeps saying password is incorrectI have no trouble logging into outlook, office etc.I did notice it said windows password.I have...
  7. Changing from local account to microsoft account Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing from local account to microsoft account Windows 11: HiI've tried to change from a local account to Microsoft account.Go fine till i get to the screen where they ask for my password for last time.Keeps saying password is incorrectI have no trouble logging into outlook, office etc.I did notice it said windows password.I have...
  8. Cannot change from Microsoft accout to local account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Cannot change from Microsoft accout to local account: When I try to change to local account >Sign in with a local account instead<, the blue screen after entering the password freezes and says 'Sorry, we couldn't verify your identity. Please try again later'. I have to force close Settings. Here's the log of Event...
  9. Change from Microsoft Account to Local Account

Change from Microsoft Account to Local Account: Hi, When i first start up my new laptop, I used Microsoft Account to sign in and install all the program and apps including Microsoft Office. Now if I would like to change to Local Account, are the program and apps will remain the same or I will still need to install again?...
  10. Changing from a local account to a Microsoft Account

Changing from a local account to a Microsoft Account: Hi, I've been trying to change my local account to a Microsoft account on Windows 10, but I haven't been able to do so. No option appears saying "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead". In the "Your info" section (Settings > Accounts > Your info), it displays my current...