Windows 10: Changing/Adding the letter assigned to system partition

Discus and support Changing/Adding the letter assigned to system partition in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I wanted to activate BitLocker on C: partition....But when I tried, I got this message: "BitLocker Setup requires the drive file system to be NTFS.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mp3player, Jun 6, 2018.

1. mp3player Win User

Changing/Adding the letter assigned to system partition

I wanted to activate BitLocker on C: partition....But when I tried, I got this message:
    "BitLocker Setup requires the drive file system to be NTFS. Convert the file system and run BitLocker Setup again."

This is how my drives look like:
    (C) - Simple -Basic - NTFS - Healthy(Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
    (F) - Simple - Basic - NTFS - Healthy(Primary Partition)
    (Disk 0 partition 2) - Simple - Basic - FAT32 - Healthy(System, Active, Primary Partition)
    New(E) - Simple - Basic - NTFS - Healthy(Logical Drive)

So as you can see, C: drive is already in NTFS. (I tried to activate BitLocker on this one)
    Drive F: was in FAT32, but I converted it to NTFS without any problems.
    Drive New(E) is also in NTFS format
    So I guess the problem is this "(Disk 0 partition 2)" that is still in FAT32?

As you can see this partition doesn't have a letter assigned to it which is necessary for conversion.
    So my plan was to assign a letter to this partition, do conversion from FAT32 to NTFS (using command prompt - convert Driveletter: /fs:ntfs -) and then delete that letter I return it the way it was (but this time it will be NTFS instead FAT32)
    But i'm afraid to do that because this partition conatins System data. So my question is, is this safe to do with this kind of partition?
    I've done it with F: partiton, but that partition already had a letter assigned to it and doesn't contain System data.

:)

mp3player, Jun 6, 2018

2. Unable to assign drive letter to SSD partition

Hi,

Depending upon the number of partition and connected hardware devices Windows assigns a drive letter with which the drive is referenced. Windows uses
    MountMgr to manage drive letters. MountMgr will assign the next available drive letter to each device added, regardless of type. With the system drive assigned the letter C:, there may be other IDE, SATA or USB devices, such
    as a DVD ROM or a Flash drive assigned to letters D: and E:. When adding another drive, Windows will assign the next drive letter available, which in this case would be drive letter H:

Drive letters can usually be manually changed using Disk Management, however there may be some exceptions. In your case, the drive letter C was already used by other drive therefore drive assigned by Windows 10 Technical Preview.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

Anish A Kumar, Jun 7, 2018
  3. Kiwi_ting Win User
    Assign different letter to recovery partition after upgrade to Windows 10

I have just upgrade to Windows 10, a new partition called "SYSTEM" appear and it occupy a partition letter that I have already assign for something else. Unfortunately, it cannot be chanced in the Disk Management app, which said it is a recovery partition.
    Is there anyway to change the letter assigned to this partition without deleting it?

Many thanks.

Kiwi_ting, Jun 7, 2018
Thema:

Changing/Adding the letter assigned to system partition

1. Changing/Adding the letter assigned to system partition - Similar Threads - Changing Adding letter

2. Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.: I recently performed a custom installation of Windows to get rid of another problem I was having. It left a SYSTEM D: drive in my files that I can't access. When I tried to plugged in my external hard drive, it defaulted to an E: drive letter. This messed with some paths for...
  3. Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.: I recently performed a custom installation of Windows to get rid of another problem I was having. It left a SYSTEM D: drive in my files that I can't access. When I tried to plugged in my external hard drive, it defaulted to an E: drive letter. This messed with some paths for...
  4. Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Assigned Drive letters for EFI partitions.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Assigned Drive letters for EFI partitions.: Basically, I've tried cloning my windows to a bigger drive with AOMEI Partition Assistant following jayz2cents' video but I think I messed it up because my EFI partitions showed up in File Explorer. I've tried a couple of solutions online like command prompt to remove...
  6. this is from reserved partition has a letter assigned

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    this is from reserved partition has a letter assigned: Windows 7 pro upgrade to Windows 10 pro failed I think this is from reserved partition has a letter assigned... I THINK RESERVED PARTITIONS DO NOT HAVE LETTER, I AM CORRECT? remove letter in reserved partition in diskpart assign letter of F: as c:/ in diskpart and try...
  7. Unable To Assign Letter To Disk Partition In Disk Management

Unable To Assign Letter To Disk Partition In Disk Management: Hi, I Have An External Hard Disk and For Some Reason One Of Its Partitions Did Not Show Up In The Explorer So I Researched And Found Out That It Was Because There Was No Letter Assigned To It. I Opened Up Disk Management And Tried To Assign A Letter To It But There was An...
  8. Change drive letters assigned

Change drive letters assigned: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...
  9. Change assigned drive letters

in Windows 10 Support
    Change assigned drive letters: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...
  10. Partition Letter Change

Partition Letter Change: When partition magic was available you could change a partition letter where you had installed your programs to another (example Programs on G:\ partition would change it to D:\ (if available)) and change the register entries. Is there a program that will change the partition...