Windows 10: Changing "all" default icons in Windows 10?

Discus and support Changing "all" default icons in Windows 10? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have been modifying my setup software to look a lot more retro and have been replacing is, screensavers and sounds with that of older OSes (my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Con, Aug 30, 2016.

1. CON
    Con Win User

Changing "all" default icons in Windows 10?

I have been modifying my setup software to look a lot more retro and have been replacing is, screensavers and sounds with that of older OSes (my favourites are Windows 98 Sed Edition and Windows ME, and I use some Windows 95C material).

Changing the is of shortcuts and specific folders is easy, but what I would like to do is change the default is, such as the default folder i and the is for drives.

I understand that with a [autorun] type script you can change the i of a drive to look a certain way, but I would like a dynamic i so that when a network drive is online or not it shows a custom i for each, and I'd like the default folder i to be exactly like in Windows 98.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Here is an example of my progress thus far, as you can see I have changed some is but there is still a long way to go. I also have the starfield screensaver which looks amazing on 3 screens (albeit of different proportions).
    The requested image does not exist

Note that I am not looking to change the layout at all, I am aware of Classic Shell but it doesn't appear to be useful with what I'm trying to achieve here.

:)

2. my phone " keys in " some numbers while talking

As I said in my first post you can either try to update it's software to see if it cures it.

If it doesn't then your phone is faulty and you will need to get it repaired.

psychomania---01, Aug 30, 2016
  3. my phone " keys in " some numbers while talking

i contacted nokia who replied :

Thank you for emailing Nokia Care.

I appreciate your feedback. However, at the moment the Nokia Software Updater does not support Nokia 6080 nor Nokia 6070.

In response to your email, there are no issues with Nokia 6080 nor Nokia 6070. Please take both phones to your nearest Nokia Care Point. The technicians will assess if a repair is required and advise if this may be covered under the warranty.

went to carphone warehouse & explained the problem,

the lady i dealt with told me that this IS a problem she has seen over & over again.

because the phone was still within the 14day period they exchanged it for a different handset [for which i needed to fork out another load of £££'s. guess i should've spent more in the first place!!]

i asked what they will do with my returned phone,

she said it'll be added to the collection of them which need to send back to nokia.

perhaps nokia are in denial cause they havent had the stores returns yet?

anyway,

i hope everyone else will be fortunate enough to get a replacement.

kareldevelop, Aug 30, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I use Iconchanger by anolis which takes a set of icons and applies them to imageres.dll.

This changes folder icons and some drive icons- 77 in all taken by default from Win 7, but you can use your own set.

Changing "all" default icons in Windows 10? [​IMG]

dalchina, Aug 30, 2016
  5. CON
    Con Win User
    Thanks, I really tried my best with this program but it just doesn't seem to work with Windows 10. It works perfectly well in Windows 98 SE. I started by saving an i list from Windows 98 and putting it into Windows 10, but IChanger just wouldn't open the list. I then used individual Windows 98 .ICO files in the System Is window, and while the i I'd clicked on was selected, no matter what I did the "Set" button just simply did not work. I received no error messages, it just wouldn't do it, when it works perfectly well in Windows 98.

Edit: I've resorted to doing a small registry edit to change the default folder i, but of course I'm looking to change a lot more than that.

6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, what I found I had to do ('cos I use it) was to take the amended imageres.dll and, by booting to a command prompt, copy it in that way. You just need to be careful to keep a copy of the original, and have some confidence with basic commands at the command prompt, and be aware drive letters will be different.

e.g. commands
    chdir (= cd)
    dir
    copy

You can try running the program as admin in Safe Mode... but that's what I did.

dalchina, Aug 31, 2016
  7. CON
    Con Win User
    I just tried that and this was the result:

Changing "all" default icons in Windows 10? [​IMG]

The program seems to think it worked okay, and there is absolutely no sign of it having changed anything in Windows Explorer anywhere. The old folder is were achieved with Regedit.

I'm familiar with swapping files around in CMD, but how can I edit imageres.dll??

8. dalchina New Member

As I said, you could try it like that.. just to see if it worked. (but that's what I did = refers to using the command prompt if that wasn't clear from the sentence structure).

So here's the simple version which I discovered I had to follow. (Using command prompt as I mentioned). I'm assuming you have some knowledge of the appropriate commands.

1. Run Icon changer and see it list all the icons it's changing. That modifies 77 icons in imageres.dll
    2. Copy the modified imageres.dll from the program folder to e.g. C:
    3. Boot to a command prompt (Shift + restart) and navigate thru the complicated prompts)
    4. Using appropriate commands, navigate to your system partition.
    (the drive letter allocated to your Windows partition won't be C: - check using DIR. Call it ?*Smile
    5. Now copy imageres.dll from ?: to ?:\Windows\System32

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Changing "all" default icons in Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Changing default icons

2. Changing Default Icons in Win10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changing Default Icons in Win10: How do you change the default icons that are used by Windows 10? Search results have been pretty muddy. This just doesn't seem like it should be this difficult. I'm mostly interested in folders and file types (mp3, mp4, pdf, etc.) Btw, I've been changing icons individually...
  3. Default Icons change Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default Icons change Windows 10?: Hey, I want to change the icon on my phone, SD card and USB stick when I plug them into my PC. Does anyone know how to do that? [ATTACH] Default Icons ändern Windows 10?
  4. Changing Default Library Icons?

Changing Default Library Icons?: Okay so I know this has to do with registry editing. The problem is I don't know how to do it. The ones I want to change the most are these: To clarify I do not mean the ones under C:/User/Me" but "This PC" as you see below. [img] I refuse to believe this cannot be...
  5. Change All Existing Default Browser Icons

Change All Existing Default Browser Icons: I use Chrome as my default browser but all existing Internet shortcut icons do not show the default icon. I have set Chrome as my default browser and have set .url's to open with Internet Browser (if set to chrome.exe you don't get a web page, you get text but you do get all...
  6. Windows 10 Taskbar "Default" folder icon change?

Windows 10 Taskbar "Default" folder icon change?: Hello, please help me figure this out, I would like to change default folder icon, but don't know how. I think it can be done with regedit, but I need a little help to navigate where and what to change, please help *Smile This icon appears when you open any folder....
  7. Change Default Control Panel Icons in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Control Panel Icons in Windows 10: How to: Change Default Control Panel Icons in Windows 10 How to Change Default Control Panel Icons in Windows 10 In addition to Control Panel to change settings for Windows 10. These settings control nearly everything about how Windows looks and works, and you can use...
  8. Change Default Icon for Network in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Icon for Network in Windows 10: How to: Change Default Icon for Network in Windows 10 How to Change Default Icon for Network in Windows 10 [img] Information This tutorial will show you how to change the default icon used for Network to any icon you want for your account in Windows 10. [img]...
  9. Change Default Icon for User's Files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Icon for User's Files in Windows 10: How to: Change Default Icon for User's Files in Windows 10 How to Change Default Icon for User's Files in Windows 10 [img] Information This tutorial will show you how to change the default icon used for User's Files to any icon you want for your account in Windows 10....
  10. Change Default Icon for This PC in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Icon for This PC in Windows 10: How to: Change Default Icon for This PC in Windows 10 How to Change Default Icon for This PC in Windows 10 [img] Information "My Computer" is now called "This PC" in Windows 10. This tutorial will show you how to change the default icon used for This PC to any icon...