Windows 10: Changing boot sequence on Asus PC, Model=M32CD, W-10, C:=Solid State

Discus and support Changing boot sequence on Asus PC, Model=M32CD, W-10, C:=Solid State in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I purchased my new PC a few days ago (above subject) and can't change the boot sequence. I want to be able to boot from a CD or USB drive to be able to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Donp, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Donp Win User

Changing boot sequence on Asus PC, Model=M32CD, W-10, C:=Solid State

I purchased my new PC a few days ago (above subject) and can't change the boot sequence. I want to be able to boot from a CD or USB drive to be able to use my Acronis backup or my Norton bootup disc. When I enter the BIOS and go to the boot drop down, there is only one option under the boot up which is Secure Option #1 and is the SS C:\ drive. I've tried several different things, like disabling the "Secure" boot, enabling CSM, etc. and can never get more than one option available. I did see a post about choosing "legacy" mode, but then the boot up takes forever according to the post. Now, I boot up in 16 seconds, but don't have any choice of asking the system to check the CD and/or USB for bootable media. All of the help tutorials I can find show screens that I don't see on my BIOS screens, so they don't help. If you can give me a detailed set of instructions I would appreciate it. BTW, I've chatted with Asus twice with no help. They keep giving me URL's which are W-8 and don't look anything like my screens.

:)

2. Changing the boot sequence on W 10

Thanks for the come back. I am now trying to find someone at Dell who can help me. Do you have any connections there?

BobWilburn, Aug 18, 2017
  3. Changing the boot sequence on W 10

I am running a Dell computer which I upgraded from VISTA to Windows 7 and then to Windows 10. I would like to change the boot sequence. On booting there are a couple notes at the right bottom of the screen indicating "Press F2 to change settings" or
    "F12 to change boot sequence". Neither of these work. Is there another way to get into BIOS to change the boot sequence?

BobWilburn, Aug 18, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Hi there. Can you see optic drive and any thumb you have mounted in Device Manager and File Explorer?

Do you have the correct and/or updated BIOS installed?

Tony K, Aug 18, 2017
  5. Hi Donp. Welcome to the TenForums @Donp

In some situations the alternatives won't show unless there is something there. If you have a bootable disc, is it in your CD when you enter your BIOS options?

P.S. I saw manual online, less than impressed for an Asus device. It doesn't even mention how to enter BIOS. Yikes !!!

Ken

Caledon Ken, Aug 18, 2017
  6. Donp Win User
    I assume I've got the correct and/or latest BIOS as the computer was purchased new from Best Buy with W-10 bundled on it. What's the best way to check that and/or get an update.

7. Donp Win User
    Yes I had both a CD in the drive and my external USB plugged in. The bootable disc was from my XP machine, which I assume will show as a bootable disc ??

P.S. I saw manual online, less than impressed for an Asus device. It doesn't even mention how to enter BIOS. Yikes !!!

Yeah, Asus was not over productive on their manual for sure. Fortunately, I knew how to access the BIOS which was pretty much like my old XP system. But, when I got into the BIOS and dropped down the "boot" tab, every thing was different as to choices. When I chatted with the Geek Squad at Best Buy they said they couldn't give me instructions on how to change the boot sequence on the chat as it was too "sensitive" of a move and I had to come in to the store. It's 25 miles, one way, and I don't feel like unhooking everything. And, most likely they will charge me after me buying this system from them ??

Ken[/QUOTE]

8. spunk Win User

Press F2 to Enter Setup (Bios) disable Secure Boot or change it to Setup Mode. Under the Security tab /IO settings, make sure CD/DVD and or USB are Unlocked.
    Under the Boot tab select Legacy Boot, your bootable USB or CD/DVD will now show as a bootable device. Select it and Move it to First Boot Device. Save and Exit. You can also press the ESC key on bootup and choose the CD/DVD or USB drive for a one time change of boot order.
    It will take onger to boot from a CD/DVD or USB, but should within a few minutes.
    If it takes a really long time to boot in Legacy mode, then there is probably something wrong with your bootable CD/DVD or USB media, test boot it on another computer.
    In the Bios, under System Information, it will tell you which Bios is installed. Go to the Asus's Support/Download drivers site, VivoPC M32CD | Tower PCs | ASUS USA
    type in your model# choose your version of Windows (ie) 32 bit or 64 bit, and look at the latest Bios available for your model, if it is newer, then you can try Updating the Bios.

spunk, Aug 19, 2017
  9. Donp Win User
    Well, I've downloaded and installed all of the "updates" that were on the Asus updates web page for my model; one of which was a pretty large update for the BIOS. But, no change in what I "see" when on the BIOS pages, especially the "boot" section. It seems I'm zeroing in on being close to a solution. In order to get "more" options on a boot sequence, I have to "disable" the Secure Boot choice, disable the "option #1" choice (which is the SS hard drive), enable the CSM option and then change where it says "UEFI only" to "UEFI and legacy" and at the same time having a USB and CD hooked up. I then get "3" options, but it's still not very clear when I try to change the sequence of them because when I do and go back to the CSM area it shows different stuff. This is starting to drive me crazy when in XP, I just had to go to the boot section and move the choices around and that was it. Anyway, the only "boot" CD I have is an XP boot disc that was made by my Acronis backup SW and I don't think W-10 recognizes that as a "boot" disc and nothing happens but a blank screen with a "dash" (-) in it. So, now I'm trying to find out how to make a "W-10" boot disc and everything I can find on the net is about wanting to install W-10 from an ISO download and such which is not what I want to do. Can anyone tell me how I can "burn" a boot CD/DVD of my "pre" installed W-10 SW ?? I've got a chicken and an egg thing going here as my Acronis 2010 SW (XP) won't install on this new PC so I could make a "boot up" CD to work in getting things working. I don't want to buy the 2017 SW as a guy on the Acronis forum said to wait a month or so as 2018 will be coming out and it's much better than 2017. So I need to make some kind of W-10 boot disc to check out getting my PC to try to boot up from a CD.

10. Tony K Win User
Thema:

1. Changing boot sequence on Asus PC, Model=M32CD, W-10, C:=Solid State - Similar Threads - Changing boot sequence

2. Boot sequence

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot sequence: Is there a downloadable tool out there, that will allow me to follow my Windows 10 boot sequence? My PC seems to freeze up during the boot sequence somewhere. I remember with the older versions of Windows, there was a way to follow the boot sequence....
  3. Solid State Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Solid State Drive: If I make 2 partitions on an SSD and write a lot to one of them, can that one partition fail and the other not? Does it work that way? submitted by /u/FluffyAlcatel [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ubw7mp/solid_state_drive/
  4. Locked solid state disk

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Locked solid state disk: Turned on my desktop using Windows 10 pro. Came up fine. Came back several hours later to use the computer but was unresponsive and showing a black screen. I turned it off and then turned it back on again. The screen is displaying a blue box asking to select the HDD. It...
  5. Locked solid state disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Locked solid state disk: Turned on my desktop using Windows 10 pro. Came up fine. Came back several hours later to use the computer but was unresponsive and showing a black screen. I turned it off and then turned it back on again. The screen is displaying a blue box asking to select the HDD. It...
  6. Solid State Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Solid State Drives: This is my first time without an HDD. I now have SSD. Does data on an SSD ever fragment? Am I now done with defraging my hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/solid-state-drives/b803253f-0d3a-43af-8484-1d460d1686d5
  7. solid state drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    solid state drive: After replacing my HD and installing win 10. I cant see my SSD. Had win 8 before changing HD. Where do I look? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/solid-state-drive/66ded83f-fb6f-4b1e-bcbb-a479c75e754d
  8. moving OS from c: drive to solid state drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    moving OS from c: drive to solid state drive: Hi, really new here, but I have a cheap laptop which only has a 32 Gig C:drive. I purchased a 120 gig solid state drive and i'm now trying to figure out how to move everything to the d: drive where the SSD is located. Also, I cannot upgrade my windows as its saying i don't...
  9. Change boot sequence

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change boot sequence: When my computer boots up I do not get a message "Press f* to enter BIOS" although the facility must be there somewhere, I've been able to find a way in to change some of the settings but not the boot sequence. Unfortunately it's so long since I needed to do this I've...
  10. How to change the boot sequence

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change the boot sequence: How do I change the boot sequence on W10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-the-boot-sequence/b7db8bbf-4914-4af3-8331-e26314d38669"