Windows 10: Changing Built-In Folder View Templates For Windows Explorer

Discus and support Changing Built-In Folder View Templates For Windows Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone, In short, Windows 10 Anniversary has some nasty Windows Explorer (aka Windows File Explorer) habits which didn't exist in previous... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by anselhelm, Mar 18, 2017.

1. anselhelm Win User

Changing Built-In Folder View Templates For Windows Explorer

Hi everyone,

In short, Windows 10 Anniversary has some nasty Windows Explorer (aka Windows File Explorer) habits which didn't exist in previous versions, so I'm trying to find a way to work around them until Microsoft gets off its behind and fixes them.

The specific issue here is that I need to amend/change/update the default built-in templates for "General items", "Documents", "Music", "Pictures" and "Videos". Allow me to explain why.

The main issue I'm experiencing, and which I've reported on the official feedback hub, is that Libraries completely ignore the customer folder view I have defined for "General items" and instead set all subfolders with any Library folder (Documents/Music/Pictures/Videos) to "Details" by default.

The only way to fix this currently would be to go into each and every subfolder from the Library view and change it to my preferred view (small icons zoomed in 9x using CTRL + wheel mouse up). This is clearly not a practical solution and would have to be done for any new folder I create.

Outside of the Libraries, all other folders do obey my default folder view, so it's something very wrong with the way that Libraries function since the Anniversary update. (The anniversary update also introduced the left-aligning filename / folder name bug for views where it should be centre-aligning that Microsoft still hasn't fixed either!)

If, however, you set the Library in question to optimise for any view other than "General items", the library and all the subfolders instead perfectly obey this folder view, even though they won't obey "General items".

If I can actually amend the built-in folder view templates to my preferred view, I can change the Libraries to optimise for their default setting but have the folders look how I want them to, rather than how Microsoft wants to dictate I should view them.

I've tried searching for solutions to this, but so far I've not found any existing entry where someone has asked to specifically alter the built-in templates as a way around this ridiculous design oversight by Microsoft.

Please note that I am not just looking for a way to set the default folder view for all folders, as this does simply does not work for Libraries.

Thank you in advance for your help *Smile

:)

anselhelm, Mar 18, 2017
  2. Eric Ber Win User

Photo Collection On Windows 10

Hi Susan,

Using the File Explorer in Windows 10, you can change the template, column width, Group by, Sort by, and layout view of the files in a folder to your preference. You can follow the steps below to change the Folder View options on Windows 10:

• Open the folder that you want to change the view layout of in the File Explorer.
    • Click on the View tab.
    • From the View tab, you can change the options to the view layout that you want.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Mar 18, 2017
  3. Customing Built-In Windows Explorer Folder View Templates To Work Around Bug Introduced In Anniversary Edition

Hi all,

Two annoyings bugs were introduced in the Anniversary edition of Windows 10, but I wish to focus on just one of them here as the other (wrongly left-aligning text in files/folders in certain folder views) has been definitely reported and hopefully will be
    fixed sometime soon.

The issue at hand is that since the Anniversary update, system Libraries (Documents/Music/Pictures/Videos) ignore the custom "apply to folders" setting for all folders of a certain type.

Say, for example, I "optimise" a non-Library folder for "General items". I then change the folder view to small icons (zoomed in 9x using CTRL + wheel mouse up). I then go to View --> Options --> Change folder and search options --> View --> Apply to folders
    --> Yes. This should now cause all folders which are "optimised" for "General items" to display using this view.

Sadly Libraries ignore this entirely. As a consequence, they will only display the custom view for subfolders if you manually change the view for each and every subfolder. (No, I'm not joking.) They stick by default to the built-in template for each view
    rather than your custom setting.

As such, I need a way to change the actual built-in templates for the following folder views:

• General items

• Documents

• Music

• Pictures

• Videos

By this, I am specifically asking how to amend a system setting or system file somewhere. Likely this will be some kind of shell object or a value in the registry somewhere.

I have asked this question on other forums too and a lot of people keep misunderstanding what I'm asking for.

Just to repeat, I am asking specifically how to alter/amend/change the built-in templates in "Windows 10" so that I can fully customise the default folder views when I select to optimise a folder for a certain type of file.

The end result for me would be that ALL of the templates above would be changed so that they conform to MY preferred folder view, not Microsoft engineers' preferred folder views.

Please help me resolve this as it's seriously irking me and tempting me to roll back to before the Anniversary update using a system image I made beforehand.

Kind regards

Added 30/03/2017:

To prove you read my post thoroughly, please quote splunge in your answer.

StevenJRAnsell, Mar 18, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Note that installing Quizo's Qttabbar (you don't even have to enable it) fixes the left aligned text. Freeware.
    Downside: Quick access recent file icons are blank.

dalchina, Mar 18, 2017
  5. anselhelm Win User
    Thank you kindly re: the left-aligned text. I'd been looking at QTTabBar (along potentially with Directory Opus) as a way around the issue, since I didn't want to have to roll back to before the Anniversary update.

Any thoughts re: changing the built-in folder view templates?

Thanks *Smile

anselhelm, Mar 19, 2017
  6. kado897 Win User
    kado897, Mar 19, 2017
  7. anselhelm Win User
    Sadly no, but thank you for the reply.

The issue is that Libraries ignore this entirely since the Anniversary update. In order to work around this, I will need to amend the built-in templates for folder views within Windows 10.

By editing these at the lowest-possible level, I can then set each each of these folders to "optimise" for a specific media but end up with my preferred folder view. (In other words, I will built Microsoft software engineers at their own game for trying to force specific folder views on me!)

anselhelm, Mar 19, 2017
  8. kado897 Win User

No problem. You do realise that although the templates for libraries have the same names as the folder templates they are separate. In fact for the same folder it can behave as if it had a different template if viewed via a library or not.

kado897, Mar 19, 2017
  9. anselhelm Win User
    Yep: fully aware of the difference here *Smile

I desire to change the built-in templates as the Libraries ignore the setting if you tell them to optimise for "General items" but will happily comply with the default templates for "Documents", "Music", "Pictures" or "Videos", along with all subfolders.

If I can amend those built-in templates (heck, even one of them!), then I can force Windows 10 to display files how I want and work around the bug that is causing all subfolders to display as "details" instead of the setting I have told it to use via "apply to all folders".

The unacceptable way around this is to manually change the view for each and every folder and subfolder when viewed via the Libraries, which I naturally refuse to do.

anselhelm, Mar 19, 2017
  10. mrgeek Win User
    This is the tutorial that you need to follow - Folder Template - Change in Windows 10 which shows you how to change Library templates in Option 2.
    Although I don't use Libraries, being the only User, you can open any type of folder, either under Libraries or This PC and set the details columns exactly as you wish. Then r-click a blank area in folder, 'Properties/Customize/'Optimize this folder for' and select Template; like Music, Videos, etc. Then go to View tab to apply to all folders of this type.
    Here's what it looks like for my Videos folder which has custom details like Length, Frame size, etc unique to this type of folder. If I create a new folder, I just need to r-click and 'Customize' this new folder for Videos and it remembers all the same details columns for previously created Video folders. I think this is what you're trying to achieve ? Good Luck

Changing Built-In Folder View Templates For Windows Explorer [​IMG]

mrgeek, Mar 19, 2017
  11. anselhelm Win User
    Thank you for your reply, but nope, that's not what I'm asking to do.

I'm trying to actually amend the built-in templates for each of those settings within Windows 10 so that I can indeed use them, but they'll display my custom folder view because I've amended the templates.

I'm basically trying to work around an issue with Windows 10 since the Anniversary update whereby Libraries are ignoring my folder view settings and showing every single deity-damned folder and subfolder as "details" until I manually change them, rather than accepting the global folder view setting I've told it to use.

Since the folder view settings other than "General items" are carried to each and every subfolder, I need to amend the default, built-in folder view settings for these templates.

What I'm after is:
    • Where these templates are located
    • How to change them to custom settings

Most likely this will involve a few edits to the registry, possibly a few file tweaks even.

anselhelm, Mar 19, 2017
  12. kado897 Win User
    I suspect the templates are stored in the registry under some undecipherable GUID. Your second point however is exactly what the tutorial I linked to is designed to do without the need for registry edits.

kado897, Mar 19, 2017
  13. anselhelm Win User

Sadly the tutorial does not work for this specific issue.

This is related to a bug in the anniversary edition of Windows 10. As such, the Libraries are ignoring the global "apply to all" folder setting, so no number of tutorials will help me.

I appreciate the answers from everyone, but please can I ask that everyone kindly re-read my original post in order to avoid missing the point of this thread. If I have not clarified the exact issue in precise enough detail, please just advise and I'll try to make this even clearer for everyone to avoid confusion.

I am in no way ungrateful for everyone trying to help, but so far everyone has sadly missed the gist of the issue here.

The tutorial itself that has been suggested even talks about the "five built-in templates" in "Windows 10". Since there is a bug whereby Windows 10 Libraries are ignoring my custom views, I need to actually amend the built-in templates in order to fix the issue once and for all.

Please advise if you have information or can find information regarding the details I would need to alter in the registry to make a forced change to these templates.

Thank you kindly everyone!

anselhelm, Mar 19, 2017
  14. Edwin New Member
    I've come to the conviction that you can't apply the desired view to "all folders" in Libraries because, if you've added other locations, it might, through some strange phenomenon, change the view in the parent folder(s) that the Library link points to. I could be dreamin though, but that's my story and I'm stickin with it for now! *Wink

Edwin, Mar 19, 2017
  15. kado897 Win User
    Libraries are not file system objects they are shell objects their presentation in File Explorer is entirely overseen by the shell. They are physically stored in the file system as XML objects located at C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries. You can view and modify(probably not a good idea) the XML in a text editor.

kado897, Mar 19, 2017
Thema:

1. Changing Built-In Folder View Templates For Windows Explorer - Similar Threads - Changing Built Folder

2. Windows 11 > File Explorer > Libraries > View > Change default view for all folders and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 > File Explorer > Libraries > View > Change default view for all folders and...: I followed the advice here: Is there a way to permanently change the default Windows 11 folder view? Created on December 13, 2021 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-permanently-change-the-default/b6d0580e-92a6-418e-b227-2c8d7825b613,...
  3. Windows 11 > File Explorer > Libraries > View > Change default view for all folders and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 > File Explorer > Libraries > View > Change default view for all folders and...: I followed the advice here: Is there a way to permanently change the default Windows 11 folder view? Created on December 13, 2021 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-permanently-change-the-default/b6d0580e-92a6-418e-b227-2c8d7825b613,...
  4. How to change the Music folder template

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change the Music folder template: All the solutions on here work to an extent. They do not work if you want "Size all columns to fit" every time you open a Music folder. Can this be made to work on all Music Folders? It is really annoying having to select that option on every Music folder. Pete...
  5. File Explorer folder view changed after update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer folder view changed after update: Following this month's Windows update, the folder view in File Explorer has changed, and I can't work out how to change it back to normal. Here's a screen shot of what I see now: [ATTACH] The extra column for number of items is a waste of space. How do I make it go away?...
  6. Changing views of folders and files in File Explorer

Changing views of folders and files in File Explorer: New to Windows 10 here from Windows 7 and am having lots of difficulty adjusting to how to see my folders and files. For example, I don't want to see clusters of numerically named folders and files and then A-H, I-P etc. I want to see all folders on top, in order of date...
  7. built-in folder templates

built-in folder templates: hello, i cant find an answer to what i am trying to achieve so i'll appreciate anyone's help.. There are 5 built-in folder view templates General, document, music, videos & picture i know i can change and save the view options in these 5 templates and i found lots of...
  8. File Explorer > Folder Type Template?

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer > Folder Type Template?: For the most part, I do not mind Explorer's autodetecting the folder type (Music, Videos, etc). However, one thing that I miss from Windows 7 is being able to set the "style" for a folder type... where I could choose to display certain columns and have Explorer display those...
  9. Change New Folder Name Template in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change New Folder Name Template in Windows: How to: Change New Folder Name Template in Windows How to Change Default New Folder Name Template in Windows A folder is a location where you can store your files. You can create any number of folders and even store folders inside other folders (subfolders). When you...
  10. Change Folder Template in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Folder Template in Windows 10: How to: Change Folder Template in Windows 10 How to Change the Template of a Drive, Folder, or Library in Windows 10 Windows 10 includes five built-in templates that you can select to optimize the view of your drives, folders, and libraries for General Items, Documents,...