Windows 10: Changing computer name

Discus and support Changing computer name in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello I recently purchased a new hp laptop computer for my business. My coworker set up the computer not knowing what i needed computer name to be and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JustinMcCauley1, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Changing computer name

Hello I recently purchased a new hp laptop computer for my business. My coworker set up the computer not knowing what i needed computer name to be and also logged into Microsoft through it. My question is do i need to return computer to factory to change the computer and directory of computer name to something else or is there a way to change everything.

:)

JustinMcCauley1, Jul 19, 2018

2. change windows 10 pc name

We appreciate you getting back to us. To change the cmd name, we suggest that you follow this steps:

• Open a Command Prompt (Adimin) window: Win+X, A, Alt+Y
    • Then run the following command to change your computer name to Donner: WMIC ComputerSystem where Name=COMPUTER-NAME call Rename Name=NewName
    • Reboot your PC.
    • Try to run ipconfig / all command, you should find that the Host Name in Windows IP Configuration list has been changed to the new name.

Keep us posted with the result.

Marilou Ser, Jul 19, 2018
  3. name changes??

If you desire a name change please do the following:

• Ask yourself if you really need a name change.
    • Make sure you have a good reason.
    • Know what you want your new name to be before you request a name change.
    • Send Urlyin a PM containing a decent explanation of your reason as well as your desired name.

Polaris573, Jul 19, 2018
  4. Changing computer name

How do i change the computer name

Hi John,

Are you using Microsoft Account or Local account to login to Windows?

If you are using Local account follow these steps:

• Press Windows Key + R to open Run command window.
    • Type sysdm.cpl and press enter.
    • Click on the “Change” button to rename the computer.
    • Under “Computer Name” change the computer name.
    • Then click on OK, then when prompted reboot your device
    To Change Computer Name in Settings app

1. Open Settings and click/tap on the
    System icon.

2. Click/tap on About on the left side, and click/tap on
    Rename PC on the right side.

If you are using Microsoft Account follow these steps:

• Sign in to the
      Your information page on the Microsoft account website.
    • Under your name, select Edit name. If there’s no name listed yet, select
      Add name.
    • Edit or add the name you want, then select Save. Your Microsoft account name will start to appear or change everywhere you use it.
    • On Windows 10 PC restart the computer.

Hope this helps,

John Rubdy, Jul 19, 2018
Thema:

Changing computer name

1. Changing computer name - Similar Threads - Changing computer name

2. Change the name of the computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change the name of the computer: May I know how can I change the name of my computer?I took it to have maintenance and they set my computer name as 'user' but I want to change the name.Thank you....
  3. Change the name of the computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change the name of the computer: May I know how can I change the name of my computer?I took it to have maintenance and they set my computer name as 'user' but I want to change the name.Thank you....
  4. Changing server computer name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing server computer name: Hi, One of our server with Windows Server 2008 R2, the DC, is down and I am trying to find solutions to promote our second server with Windows Server 2019 to DC as well to change the server name to match the original DC as someone set up the main server in VMware without...
  5. Computer name and domain change.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer name and domain change.: Hello, I am using a brother printer dcp l-5500 dn after changing my pc name in the domain and pc options from admin to ws-kris, the printer still sees after reboot the same old admin name for my pc. Has anyone before encountered a similar problem before and if yes do you...
  6. How to change computer name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to change computer name: I am using Version 20H2 Build 19042.746 When I sign in with my pin nthere is a name on top of the screen so how do I cange this in settings. Thanks 172978
  7. Change computer name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change computer name: What happens if I change the name of my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-computer-name/c6754c42-6398-4b42-9d1a-3f7d644fe917
  8. change name of computer

change name of computer: Need to change name of computer and sign on screen. Any help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-name-of-computer/4d3706d2-64d8-44ba-b0cb-5a8b442c451d
  9. Change of my Computer's Name

Change of my Computer's Name: I unknowingly changed my Computer's name in the Control panel settings. I'm not connected to a Domain or a workgroup. So will this affect or cause any problems in the Future?...
  10. Changing the computer name?

Changing the computer name?: Hello everyone, I need help with changing my username on the computer. now the reason i want to do it because my username is on my language and because of that the computer cant locate games or installation programs. and i know there is a option to change in the settings....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows can changing computer name affect performance?