Windows 10: Changing Default Background Color for File Explorer and Applicaions

Discus and support Changing Default Background Color for File Explorer and Applicaions in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Good Afternoon, I have moved from FreeBSD to Win 10. The glaring white of the aforementioned objects is really painful to my old eyes. I cannot find... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by dcbdbis, Aug 20, 2015.

1. dcbdbis Win User

Changing Default Background Color for File Explorer and Applicaions

Good Afternoon,

I have moved from FreeBSD to Win 10. The glaring white of the aforementioned objects is really painful to my old eyes. I cannot find references on Google about how to change this. I found one post that alleges this obnoxious color was hard coded.

Can someone please assist me in resolving this issue?

My desired colors for the background is (RGB) 235.235.235.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave

:)

dcbdbis, Aug 20, 2015
  2. MBroom Win User

In Windows 10, is there a way to customize an application's window background?

A screen with a white background causes more eyestrain than a screen with a background in a light color. All the more so if, like me, you have any of a number of eye conditions.

How to change default window background color in Windows 10? includes a script for a .theme file that forces a custom window background change in, e.g., Regedit and Notepad, but it has no effect in, e.g., MS Word or
    the file explorer or the Windows 10 Settings windows. Is there a way (there must be one, yes?) to make this kind of change universal -- or at least more widely effective?

MBroom, Aug 20, 2015
  3. File maintenance and organization

A lot of people are experiencing this. It's the interplay between having your Desktop background set as Slideshow & automatic selection of Accent color from the background. Every time the background changes, so does the Accent color. This causes Explorer
    to send a "Refresh" message to all open File Explorer windows. So go to

Settings -> Personalization -> Color

and turn off Automatically pick an accent color from background and choose a static accent color.

Good Luck,

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Aug 20, 2015
  4. dcbdbis Win User

I followed the registry hacks in this post I found Online:

Ref: I want to make windows explorer and application background color grey in win 10 » Forum Post by steveandpeggy

// --------------Begin Cut-N-Paste

Hi, this allows you to set any colour you want for many of those bright whitish areas MS wants us to stare at: given that MS took away the dialogues that allowed control of this, this (other than WindowBlinds- when avaiable) is the only way now available.

This example is a pale yellow. You can choose anything you like.
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors]
    "Window"="250 250 177"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Colors]
    "Window"="250 250 177"

Imagine Wordpad, Notepad, your editor, many dialogue boxes all being easier on the eye. I'd upload an image but this site requires a URL.
    It DOESN'T work for explorer, control panel and a number of system dialogues.
    Note that it needs script support to refresh it (by reapplying the theme it's saved with) after resuming from hibernation.
    I used this successfully in Win 8.1 and now in Win 10. Together with a theme to give coloured title bars, borders (adjustable width with "Tiny Windows Borders" (again substituting for the dialogue MS removed) to adjust border padding, and Aeroglass, and white caption text, Win 10 is usable visually.
    Oh, and substitute for explorer - Free Commander, XYplorerer.... that allow you to colour columns etc.

//----------------------End Cut-N-Paste

Then I auditioned a lot of replacement file managers with Cubic Explorer. Ref: Cubic Reality Software

Then customized the color to my preferences using one of their built in themes.

Now, only the occasional dialog has a white background, which I can deal with. My system is now close enough that it isn't searing my pupils shut.

MS needs to return the functionality of granular color control back to the user...like we all had in XP....Even '7 still had the hideous white background for the file explorer hard-locked. Unacceptable in my book.

My system no longer hurts my eyes....Important for us C/C++ coders.

Hope this helps others,

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave

dcbdbis, Aug 25, 2015
  5. Hi,
    I'm using my own theme for Window 10 as I was yesterday with Win7, this simply has my own choice of folder where I keep the images I want to see on my desktop background.

But my eyes are killing me, my head is splitting and my neck is dying trying to peer at the screen through the snowblindness MicroSoft is imposing on us all.
    How can I return to a nice soft grey background in all my programs?
    I've read this thread as well as I could and it seems to be saying that you can only change some of the backgrounds - is this correct? there's no longer a way to change the searing white to a grey for all applications/programs?

If this is true, then why do MicroSoft hate us all so much?
    Surely, there must be a solution?
    (Linux maybe? But I'd have gone that route long ago if it would support all my programs properly.)

Help?

FranOnTheEdge, Oct 18, 2015
  6. I don't call having to edit the Registry for adjusting the color of open windows a "solution."
    Is the monitor setup properly? I have brightness = 8/100 usually. I can further adjust it in AMD's CCC.
    Control Panel/Color Management - Calibrate Display

You can radically change the background via Control Panel/Ease of Access - Choose High Contrast Theme.
    Background can be solid black or other colors.
    In Personalization - see option to "Get more Themes online":
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w..._client_themes
    Windows color = Gray is implied BUT that is only the trim - sliders, menu bars.

Irwin Mainway, Dec 24, 2015
  7. banger Win User
    +1 for High contrast black theme.

banger, Dec 25, 2015
  8. fixxinet Win User

I am looking for a way to change the windows's background colors and the menus ( the desktop right click etc menus ) colors ...

fixxinet, Jan 30, 2016
  9. I can't believe I forgot the simplest method: just find a solid color to use as your desktop background, the only file in a folder so it never changes.
    I used a photo of the Sun and cropped it as a rectangle in Photostudio so it fills the screen. You could make your own desktop using Color Fill in a photo editing program.

Irwin Mainway, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Changing Default Background Color for File Explorer and Applicaions - Similar Threads - Changing Default Background

2. change default file explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    change default file explorer?: Recently I found and installed an app called Files UWP and while I like it very much, I can't find any way to make it my default file explorer submitted by /u/KibSquib47 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hh2stm/change_default_file_explorer/
  3. background color in file explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    background color in file explorer: OS = Win 10. In my Settings>Color, I set the color to dark. All information in File Explorer comes up with a black background. Is there a way I can get a white background in File Explorer, while keeping a black background for the main program information box that comes up...
  4. changing background colors

in Browsers and Email
    changing background colors: I tried to introduce myself in the introductions thread but it was closed. My name is Bev, been here a while but never posted but I need some help. I redid windown 10 on Sunday but can't seem to get the black color off chrome start page. I know it's something with...
  5. Change File Explorer Background

Change File Explorer Background: Hi all, I just recently upgraded my version of Windows 10 to 1809, where Microsoft introduced the dark theme for File Explorer. I'm gonna be honest, it looks terrible. I might be just not used to it, but I want it back to the white background. I'm aware I can change the...
  6. How to change File Explorer background colors?

How to change File Explorer background colors?: My Windows 10 Home just updated to version 1809 and for some reason the Windows File Explorer background changed from white to a dark charcoal gray. I don't mind the gray so much, but it would be better if it were lighter. How do I change it? I've looked everywhere for an...
  7. How do we change the background color of file explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do we change the background color of file explorer?: We were able to do this with older versions of windows. As someone who deals with frequent migraines, that BRIGHT WHITE background is such a nightmare. Why would Windows remove a such a helpful feature? Is there some workaround besides high contrast? (High contrast...
  8. Change explorer theme without changing default color

Change explorer theme without changing default color: I do not like the new explorer dark theme. Is there anyway I can change it without changing the default app mode because I like the dark theme in other apps just not in explorer. Any registry keys I can edit?...
  9. Windows file explorer background color changed after update

Windows file explorer background color changed after update: After receiving the update for windows 10, my folder windows colors changed to black and text to white. A feature many have wanted by all the forum posts I have read spanning years but I do not, I wish the default colors. No file explorer software has been installed. My theme...
  10. Edge default background colors

in Browsers and Email
    Edge default background colors: Is there any way to change the colors of edge other than 'light' (which I have selected) or 'dark'? My favorites bar turns dark/black and I can not even see the favorites I have pinned there. *Shock See pic > [img] 8058