Windows 10: Changing Default Library Icons?

Discus and support Changing Default Library Icons? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Okay so I know this has to do with registry editing. The problem is I don't know how to do it. The ones I want to change the most are these: To... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RECONBunny, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Changing Default Library Icons?

Okay so I know this has to do with registry editing. The problem is I don't know how to do it. The ones I want to change the most are these:

To clarify I do not mean the ones under C:/User/Me" but "This PC" as you see below.

Changing Default Library Icons? [​IMG]

I refuse to believe this cannot be done. If I can figure this out it might not be so hard.

:)

RECONBunny, Feb 3, 2017

2. isLibraryPinned Ignored on User Created Libraries

This started in Windows 8.1 and continues in Windows 10. For user created libraries, the isLibraryPinned value in the .library-ms is ignored. However, for default libraries, the value is respected. You
    can change the value by editing the .library-ms file or by clicking the "Show in navigation pane" option. Is there another value for user
    created libraries that can be changed so they can be hidden or shown?

W. J. Zeallor, Feb 3, 2017
  3. How to set explorer to open in Library as the default

In windows 7 I had explorer default to Libraries as I most often save work to a network not a local file. Can I change the set up in Windows 10 to Libraries as a default as it work make my work flow much faster.

Nancy

BirddogComm, Feb 3, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Changing Default Library Icons?

There are many threads on this sort of topic... but I don't recall success with those in the navigation pane. @Edwin suggested an icon pack in a recent post. Stardock Iconpackager perhaps? It does support Win 10.
    And see
    Customizing system icons and navigation pane

This is what I've done if of any interest:

Some changes are done made running a program once.
    Other iconised (non-system) folders are customised individually.

dalchina, Feb 3, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Feb 3, 2017
  6. How is it possible in all these years since Windows came into existence from XP, 2000, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 nobody has done this or found a way other than 3rd party software? I mean can't you edit it from the registry?

RECONBunny, Feb 3, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    More a case of hacking resources e.g. dlls.

The registry should be the last port of call.

Bear in mind MS has worked hard to try to reduce the possibilities of customisation compared with Win 7.

dalchina, Feb 3, 2017
  8. Edwin New Member

There still has to be a (modified) source that those registry entries point to.
    These are most of the dll's that still contain icons in Windows 10, each with 5-10 'trees' and hundreds upon hundreds of items in each tree!
    Most users are more than happy to have a 3rd party application do the grunt work for them.

%windir%\system32\shell32.dll
    %windir%\System32\wmploc.DLL
    %windir%\system32\setupapi.dll
    %windir%\system32\ddores.dll
    %windir%\System32\ieframe.dll
    %windir%\system32\netshell.dll
    %windir%\System32\imageres.dll
    %windir%\System32\pifmgr.dll
    %windir%\System32\moricons.dll
    %windir%\System32\mmcndmgr.dll
    %windir%\System32\compstui.dll

%windir%\system32\accessibilitycpl.dll
    %windir%\explorer.exe
    %windir%\system32\gameux.dll
    %windir%\system32\mmres.dll
    %windir%\system32\mstscax.dll
    %windir%\System32\netcenter.dll
    %windir%\System32\networkexplorer.dll
    %windir%\system32\networkmap.dll
    %windir%\System32\pnidui.dll
    %windir%\system32\SensorsCpl.dll
    %windir%\system32\xpsrchvw.exe
    %windir%\system32\UIHub.dll
    %windir%\system32\vpc.exe
    %windir%\system32\wmp.dll
    %windir%\system32\wpdshext.dll
    %windir%\system32\wucltux.dll

Edwin, Feb 3, 2017
  9. LOL, why? I thought they liked their followers. Also what's the best way to hack the DLLs?

RECONBunny, Feb 4, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Before answering that, please bear in mind that if you spend hours of work making detailed changes, all these will be swept aside if you do any of the following routine maintenance and update activities:

1. sfc /scannow
    2. an in-place upgrade
    3. the next major build upgrade (about 1-2 a year)
    4. clean install windows

Which is another good reason to do this programmatically- minimise the time you spend.
    Best look for themes others have created- this used to be a popular activity as I'm sure you are aware. With Win 10, possibilities are more limited.

That said:
    Resource hacker
    is one such tool.

dalchina, Feb 4, 2017
  11. Found a way:

IconPackager 10 - Windows 10 Support, was only 9.99.

RECONBunny, Feb 5, 2017
  12. Edwin New Member
    *Thumbs

You're gonna love it! *Smile

Edwin, Feb 5, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

Yep, as I suggested in #2.. glad it works.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Changing Default Library Icons? - Similar Threads - Changing Default Library

2. Changing Default Icons in Win10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changing Default Icons in Win10: How do you change the default icons that are used by Windows 10? Search results have been pretty muddy. This just doesn't seem like it should be this difficult. I'm mostly interested in folders and file types (mp3, mp4, pdf, etc.) Btw, I've been changing icons individually...
  3. How to change the icon to default of os:c

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change the icon to default of os:c: how to change the os:c icon to default https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-the-icon-to-default-of-osc/173ec6a1-89f9-44f0-bb26-542ddcd601d1
  4. Libraries Properties Change Icon

Libraries Properties Change Icon: How can I have the 'Change Library Icon' in this dialogue to be 'active'? : . 169477
  5. Change default folder icon

Change default folder icon: Hello, I wanted to know if it is possible to change the icon of the yellow folder in explorer not only for one as you showed but for all the yellow folders in one action. thank you 169110
  6. Change folder icons by default?

Change folder icons by default?: Hello i have a server and i use because i have so many folders i have icons for the folders but when i access them on another pc there are only empty folders and i have to set them again i can save the icons https://www.gutefrage.net/frage/ordner-icons-standardmaessig-aendern
  7. Default Library location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Default Library location: How do I restore the libraries to their default location. I have tried bringing up properties on the default library folder and changing location to the default but it says it can't continue because the destination location already gas a folder by that name. Why doesn't it...
  8. Using libraries as default

in Windows 10 Support
    Using libraries as default: Hi all I have this laptop HP255G6 its been running okay. The documents photos are stored on an external ssd. Now I want to get it back to the default settings. Documents in the document folder on the internal ssd and so forth the photos back to the dfault on the internal ssd....
  9. Icons in menu changed to default

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons in menu changed to default: In my main menu, I just noticed many default folder icons on programs that had their own icons. For instance all program icons in H, I, J and L names are now default folder icons. Any way to change them back ? Thanks 116714
  10. Change Library Icon in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Library Icon in Windows 10: How to: Change Library Icon in Windows 10 How to Change Icon of a Library in Windows 10 [img] Information Libraries gather folders that are stored in different locations so you can browse them in one place. You can add or remove folders and drives to be included in a...