Windows 10: Changing dual boot Win7 & Win10 from SATA to SSD drive

Discus and support Changing dual boot Win7 & Win10 from SATA to SSD drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; On one of my desktop computers running Windows 10 Pro, I added a SSD drive. Then, I cloned the OS partition on to the SSD drive, which ran perfectly.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by esgee, Nov 30, 2016.

1. esgee Win User

Changing dual boot Win7 & Win10 from SATA to SSD drive

On one of my desktop computers running Windows 10 Pro, I added a SSD drive. Then, I cloned the OS partition on to the SSD drive, which ran perfectly.

But on another desktop, I dual boot Windows 7 Home and Windows 10 Home on an older SATA hard drive. And I've now added a 240 GB SSD drive.

The existing boot drive has 3 partitions for booting -- the Windows 7 (C*Smile, Windows 10 (D*Smile and the 100 MB System Reserved partition.

How does one go about changing OS's to the SSD drive ?

Do I simply clone all three portions to separate partitions on the new drive, and make this drive the boot drive ? Anything I need to be careful about ?

Thanks for any assistance on this. Cheers.

:)

esgee, Nov 30, 2016
  2. kjl1956 Win User

How do I set my new SSD as the only Boot/System drive?

Was the ssd on the system when you did the win10 upgrade ?

If yes then that drive may contain the windows partitions and boot loader.

If not and you did a clean install of win10 to the ssd but still had the old

win7 drive as the boot drive, then the win10 bootloader could have been installed

to that drive, this depends on the boot chain order in the bios on what drive loads

first.

The way I would have done this is clone the win10 to the new ssd, then do a clean install on

the ssd drive.

Pulling drives from the pc and swapping them for a different operating system works

if you are not mixing the same type of os or upgrade and for microsoft windows it

depends on the licences.

But to boot say linux and windows without a dual boot system you have to configure each os on

its own boot drive then swap out when needed.

How did you upgrade win10? from dvd or bootable usb or in place upgrade.

Uefi bios are a little more involved than the older legacy bios.

Note; if you remove the win7 drive, put the ssd as the first boot drive,

if it does not boot, then the boot loader is on the win7 drive.

Do you see an option to boot win7 and win10 when the pc loads.

kjl1956, Nov 30, 2016
  3. Clean install of win 10 deleted

Hi Andre

I just unplugged all of the hard drives leaving only the SSD & DVD burner. The Bios sees the SSD as I was able to change the boot sequence so that it was 1st device (after floppy). When I tried to boot up I got a message "An operating system wasn't found"

When I first installed Win10 from the flashdrive to the SSD I did unplug the drive with the original Win7/10 in case there was a conflict. When I went back to the old system I had to reconnected it and I think it remained connected when I tried to boot up
    the clean installation.

I've checked the SSD in file manager and everything, windows, programs, emails etc has been wiped except for the 2 folders mentioned earlier.

I've just spotted that SATA hard disk mode is set to IDE although I have SATA & PATA hard drives as well as the new SATA SSD. Anything worth pursuing here?

With thanks

Mike

handyman6319, Nov 30, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Yep, that's all you have to do.

NavyLCDR, Nov 30, 2016
  5. esgee Win User
    Great ! Thanks very much. *Smile

esgee, Nov 30, 2016
  6. x509 Win User
    What about the bcdboot command?

x509, Dec 1, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Not required. The bcdboot command is used to add an OS to the boot menu. In this case, the dual booting is already set up.

NavyLCDR, Dec 2, 2016
  8. 91fw Win User

Just curious - what backup program was used here?
    Isn't it better to reimage instead of cloning, why or why not?

91fw, Dec 2, 2016
  9. esgee Win User
    I'm using Acronis True Image 2015.

Not sure about what "reimage" is, though.

esgee, Dec 2, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Reimage is when you save an image file of the partitions to a storage location and then restore the images to the new drive. Cloning or reimaging really doesn't matter if you know how to use the program to adjust the partitions to the new size/format of the new drive and you have no desire to keep a copy of the partitions in an image file for backup purposes.

NavyLCDR, Dec 2, 2016
  11. 91fw Win User
    Will True Image Cloning work on the newer SSHD drives? | Acronis Forum
    see first paragraph in post 2 about potential issues

Process - Cloning -Switch HD - Sys Backup and Data Backup -Best approach | Acronis Forum
    see post 3

"Reimage" - sorry, it means restore images of partitions done by ATI backup.
    Reimaging permits you to adjust Windows partition sizes. And there is no potential issuse of having two bootable drives on at the same time.
    I never cloned, always used restoring images when replacing drives. No experience with SSD though.

12. esgee Win User
    Thanks. Also to NavyLCDR. And apologies for the late response.

I'm familiar with the process -- just wasn't aware of the term "reimage". Have been a bit busy lately, but I think I'll try reimaging rather than cloning when I can find the time.

Thanks again.

esgee, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Changing dual boot Win7 & Win10 from SATA to SSD drive - Similar Threads - Changing dual boot

2. Upgrading from Win7 to Win10 - on a dual-boot laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from Win7 to Win10 - on a dual-boot laptop: This is probably an unfair question to ask in this forum. But given the depth of expertise, someone might have advice to offer! I have recently done successful clean installs and activations of Win 10 with the help of Shawn Brink's tutorials and advice from other forum...
  3. Dual boot Win10 Win7

Dual boot Win10 Win7: Hi, Some time ago I bought a new laptop with Win10 pre-installed on it and have been trying to make my old programs work with this OS. I've found solutions for most of them but for a couple (a database and some old games) it doesn't seem possible to make them run on Win10....
  4. Will update Win7>Win10 deactivate second Win7 drive in a Dual boot?

in Windows 10 Support
    Will update Win7>Win10 deactivate second Win7 drive in a Dual boot?: Here's the situation. I have a 17" laptop with two Win 7 drives set up with dual boot. One is a 128gb SSD with all my work software. (AutoCad, Rhino, etc) The other is a new 256 SSD with only the Win7 OS installed. Both use the same laptop Product key. I would like to...
  5. EasyBCD Dual Boot management for Win10 and Win7 on separate drives

EasyBCD Dual Boot management for Win10 and Win7 on separate drives: Hi - I am thinking about transitioning from Win7 to Win10. I have been running Win7x64 for a very long time on my main PC. I have done a lot of installs over the years along with low level customizations. To me, it probably would be best to do a clean install of Win10 on a...
  6. Win10+Win7 dual boot issue

Win10+Win7 dual boot issue: Dear all, I hope I have not missed a thread with a similar problem: I had Win10 installed on drive C: with the boot loader on drive D: (where I previously had my old Win10 installation). I wanted to add Win7 to my PC and formated drive D: - I totally forgot that I had the...
  7. Dual Boot Win7/Win10

Dual Boot Win7/Win10: Reloaded factory software on Dell XPS laptop Win7. Created additional partition for Win10. Installed Win10 iso from boot to the separate partition. Previously labeled C drive as Win7 and D drive as Win10. Default boot is Win7. Works fine. On the boot screen I choose Win10....
  8. Dual boot, exist win10 + win7 from image on different drives

Dual boot, exist win10 + win7 from image on different drives: I have win10 installed and running and I’d like to create a dual boot by restoring an image that I made of my old win7 system immediately before upgrade to win10 and then doing a clean install on a new SSD. I realize that I will need to buy a win7 key and I plan to use an OEM...
  9. Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?

Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?: Hi, I have a dual boot set up - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on an SSD drive and Windows 8.1 on a second hard drive. I would like to upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and keep the Windows 7 OS in tact. Is this possible? Can I just go through the upgrade process from...
  10. Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10: I used the ISO (64bit) burnt to DVD, changed boot order to install and installed to a new 250GB HDD, setup was about 15 mins and the dual boot works great, Windows 10 installed fine and Windows 7 has not been affected and runs as normal *Biggrin 2010