Windows 10: Changing EXE Icons not working

Discus and support Changing EXE Icons not working in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So in a nutshell what I am trying to do is change the icon of an executable, sounds simple right? Here is what I have done: 1) Open the EXE in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RECONBunny, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Changing EXE Icons not working

So in a nutshell what I am trying to do is change the icon of an executable, sounds simple right?

Here is what I have done:

1) Open the EXE in Resource Hacker
    2) Replace the Icon with the Icon I want. My icon has all the sizes including the mini task bar/frame icon.
    3) Saved it

The problem(s):
    1) EXE Icon not showing up right away. Had to restart explorer.exe in Tskmgr. (Just to get the Icon to show up on the exe file in the main directory of the application)
    2) The Mini icon is still the same as the default on the TaskBar and in the application itself.

Pictures Here:

Icon on the left is the one I replaced with. The one on the right is the original.

Changing EXE Icons not working [​IMG]

The shortcut Icon is fine but when I open the application here is what I have. Top Left, Bottom left and Bottom Right:

Changing EXE Icons not working [​IMG]

Before you ask this is Windows 10 just skinned to look like Windows Vista. I recall this issue before but I never pressed it until now.

:)

RECONBunny, Sep 13, 2017

2. FileTypesMan messed up .exe icons

So I used FileTypesMan to change the icon of .exe files. Turns out, this changes all programs to have that icon, they don't use what they were given. For example, google chrome has the default .exe icon instead of the google chrome icon. What would really
    help me is if I knew how to undo the changes that FileTypesMan did or fix it at all. I am on Windows 10, so please tell me what to do knowing that. Thanks, I really hope I get help.

BlockCabin, Sep 13, 2017
  3. IanB_61 Win User
    Pin a document to start menu

Worked for me. Thanks Dr Ace.

As an aside, its more than a bit weird that Microsoft didn't include this basic and long-standing function in Win 10. Even stranger that the context sensitive menu that pops up offers to 'Add to Start' ... but doesn't.

A further note on pinning documents to Start - after some digging around and playing I also found that you can change the icon as well. You need to access the
    shortcut's 'properties', 'Change Icon'. You can use a variety of icons available in the exe or dll files or you can custom create one (using an online icon converter, etc). This didn't initially work for me (icons
    did change but were a dull blank file icon) until after I re-booted the computer (icons then changed to my custom icons).

IanB_61, Sep 13, 2017
Thema:

Changing EXE Icons not working

1. Changing EXE Icons not working - Similar Threads - Changing EXE Icons

2. *.exe icons changed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    *.exe icons changed: I am running Windows 11. All of my *.exe files have turned into this iconI have deleted the following files:%LOCALAPPDATA%\IconCache.db%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\icon*.db, %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\thumb*.dbI have also run "sfc /scannow" which...
  3. *.exe icons changed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    *.exe icons changed: I am running Windows 11. All of my *.exe files have turned into this iconI have deleted the following files:%LOCALAPPDATA%\IconCache.db%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\icon*.db, %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\thumb*.dbI have also run "sfc /scannow" which...
  4. Customized .exe file icon and need to reset only .exe icon to default icon

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Customized .exe file icon and need to reset only .exe icon to default icon: Hi all,I have a highly customized system and among the changes I made to other icons, I somehow changed my .exe icon too, MEANING that most ALL .exe files now have the SAME custom icon rather than the icon for each program like they are generally supposed to have. Example:...
  5. Customized .exe file icon and need to reset only .exe icon to default icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Customized .exe file icon and need to reset only .exe icon to default icon: Hi all,I have a highly customized system and among the changes I made to other icons, I somehow changed my .exe icon too, MEANING that most ALL .exe files now have the SAME custom icon rather than the icon for each program like they are generally supposed to have. Example:...
  6. Customized .exe file icon and need to reset only .exe icon to default icon

7. How to change an .exe icon?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change an .exe icon?: I have a program with no icon and it's been bugging me and want to change it's icon to my own. Is there any way to do this? submitted by /u/Got69TypesOfMalware [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j4w67g/how_to_change_an_exe_icon/
  8. how do you change an icon of a .exe file?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do you change an icon of a .exe file?: yeah all i really need to figure out is how to change an icon of a .exe file. i tried going into properties but there seems to be no way https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-change-an-icon-of-a-exe-file/42646a8b-53f8-48b5-ae6f-2131d568eb50
  9. Change icon for .exe

Change icon for .exe: I am using Windows 10 Home 64 and want to change the .exe icon for a program I have. If I go to properties there is no way to do this so how is this done in Windows 10 without creating a shortcut or another program? I used to be able to do this before Windows 10. Also there...
  10. Application (.exe) icon changed after fall creator update

in Windows 10 Support
    Application (.exe) icon changed after fall creator update: Hello i just updated my windows 10 to creators update. When i open my explorer, i looked up my .exe files icon (all .exe files include application that installed and installer itself) change into some kinda shield with red and white color. Can someone tell me whathappen and...