Windows 10: Changing hard drive order and number and Windows won't boot anymore

Discus and support Changing hard drive order and number and Windows won't boot anymore in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I am just wondering what best practices are here. Please no nonsense answers and telling me I am doing everything wrong, whatever I do, okay.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dryden22, Dec 30, 2016.

1. dryden22 Win User

Changing hard drive order and number and Windows won't boot anymore

So I am just wondering what best practices are here. Please no nonsense answers and telling me I am doing everything wrong, whatever I do, okay.

Previous experience indicated that Windows 10 was capable of switching between IDE and RAID and AHCI settings without much problem.

I have a Windows 10 installation that I installed on some Gigabyte 780G motherboard.

I think I installed it with only one disk present and then later ran it as the 2nd disk and it worked.

I probably ran it in AHCI mode mostly.

Then later I replaced the motherboard with some Asus M2N motherboard and I got issues.

Predominantly the system failed to boot if it wasn't the 2nd disk, so I got boot failures until I connected back the first disk (that is unused by Windows) as I recall it. Other than that, it worked, and probably in AHCI again.

Now I have replaced the motherboard with some Abit AX78 mobo. It uses an older chipset (760) and is also slightly older. It is connected as the only disk and it boots just fine. I find that it has "Native IDE" set as mode, and Windows is just painfully slow harddisk wise.

This mobo is annoying because it doesn't have a boot menu (WHAT?) ... yes, (WHAT?!!!). So in order to boot from USB stick that has a copy of the Grub loader installed for this system, so I can boot Linux (that is on the disk too) I have to select the freaking USB stick as first boot device. Great. Anyway, it *might* be functional in the end.

However when I do so, and Grub loads, and I select Windows from the list, Windows activates but it instantly reboots. Upon next attempt it loads some Automatic Repair which never does anything useful that I've ever seen, no matter how many times it runs. It keeps rebooting. At first I think it must be some AHCI setting that I've changed, but it remains the same with Native IDE. Tough luck, this doesn't work.

Removing the USB stick from the boot order again (but not from the computer) Windows will only boot in IDE mode. In AHCI mode it says it cannot find my boot device. Bummer.

Now what? This system ran fine on another AHCI-enabled system. Actually that was the first mobo I mentioned. And probably another one before that. Currently this system will only boot if it is the first boot device AND it is set to IDE mode.

Yeah, great.

I mean, what the hell can I do about this?

Moreoever, I'm okay with installing Windows again or restoring from a backup. But then what?

If I install it with the other (real) disk present, it might not boot if that real disk is absent. Windows should not use that disk, but it might still depend on it in its fancy imagination of the moment.

This whole system becomes pretty unworkable if every hard drive addition ever is going to make the system not boot anymore. This just plain sucks.

And not in a good way, I might add.

And what if I want to move it to some RAID controller? What if I turn RAID on? It used to boot fine when put to some cheap Delock raid controller as long as I made a RAID array out of it (JBOD was fine). I can check what happens of course: I also have a Highpoint controller in this system now that goes unused, so I can check what happens if I put it on there in JBOD mode. Then it will be first disk, but I don't know what Windows is going to do because eventually the RAID (if I do this) is not going to be the prime boot device, so Windows will still be on the second disk. (I will have to make "Addon-card" the first device to even boot from it, I think.

I notoriously want to BOOT from a disk windows is NOT installed on so that I can keep the Windows boot loader on the disk that Windows IS installed on so that the whole disk works without the other disks and that was the whole PURPOSE and yes I am angry about this. How is this so hard to ensure a system that will just work?

Microsoft, Jesus Christ Microsoft, what have you done this time? This just stinks.

Linux will boot from anywhere, as long as you give the required parameters at the start, it will run. Windows is incapable of detecting the "boot partition" (2nd partition) on a disk it has already freaking loaded the "system partition" from!!!!

What the????

On the original motherboard, this thing worked. I think on the 2nd motherboard it also started working after I got it running the first time, I don't know.

Now it won't even run in AHCI mode even though the freaking system was installed in that mode!!!

Now I want to reinstall Windows or restore from backup (some while ago, because I couldn't start Windows Update anymore and the service wouldn't run and instead of spending another 6-20 hours trying to troubleshoot that I thought I'd just restore a backup in an hour or less). But I don't know what will happen. It probably won't run and it'll be wasted time.

I *can* try to install with a 2nd disk present (as first disk) but I am afraid windows will not install AT ALL. Windows notoriously fails to install (yes, also notorious) if it is not set as the first boot device. But maybe at least it will install and run in AHCI mode this time... *Sad.

:)

dryden22, Dec 30, 2016
  2. WayneRupp Win User

memory_corruption

After you made the USB Hard Drive the number one boot, did you save it by pressing
    F10? You need to save it or it won't stick.

Try again, pressing F10 after making the USB Hard drive # 1 boot. Exit the :BIOS and see if it boots to the USB flash drive directly after.

If changing the boot order doesn't work, you need to enable Legacy Boot in the BIOS, save changes and exit the BIOS

Now shut down and re-boot your device while pressing F12 to see if the USB flash drive option is now present in the boot options menu.

Enabling Legacy boot may allow you to boot from the USB found in the boot options menu.

WayneRupp, Dec 30, 2016
  3. Bootable DVD

How do I download those things when my laptop is stuck on BSOD or can't boot?

Also, I figured out how to remove and put the hard drive back in... The weird thing is that when I have the hard drive in correctly, it doesn't boot onto the Windows thing where I can repair my laptop with CMD. I'm not sure how to make it so that it boots
    off the DVD anymore... That's really the most important thing that I need help with... Thanks so much.

FYI to review, I've already changed BIOS order and all that... it still tries to boot off the hard drive unless the Hard Drive is physically missing.

Thanks.

Edit: When I plug in my Hard Drive after, the CMD doesn't detect it... So I can't do the series of commands I found on YouTube... Changing hard drive order and number and Windows won't boot anymore :(

SendHelpForSadGuy, Dec 30, 2016
  4. dryden22 Win User

What I am going to do is try to install it on the Highpoint controller as only disk and then see if it will also run as second disk.

dryden22, Dec 30, 2016
Thema:

1. Changing hard drive order and number and Windows won't boot anymore - Similar Threads - Changing hard drive

2. Hard drive won't boot at first startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive won't boot at first startup: Problem started about two days ago, my laptop has been turned off for four days, I turned it on only to find the internal hard drive disk D: missing, I tried finding it in disk management, device manager, and later even in BIOS and it doesn't show up on all three. I've tried...
  3. How to change numbered order of monitors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to change numbered order of monitors: Hi all,I've been trying to find a way to change the numbered order of my two monitors for an hour now and I can't find any solutions. To make things clear, I'm NOT looking to change the primary display - that's simple, easy, and I can do that. The problem is that my primary...
  4. How to change numbered order of monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change numbered order of monitors: Hi all,I've been trying to find a way to change the numbered order of my two monitors for an hour now and I can't find any solutions. To make things clear, I'm NOT looking to change the primary display - that's simple, easy, and I can do that. The problem is that my primary...
  5. How to change numbered order of monitors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Won't boot after changing number of processors in msconfig

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Won't boot after changing number of processors in msconfig: So I changed number of processors in msconfig from 8 to 1 with an i7 3770 so I rebooted now I just get the blue recovery screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wont-boot-after-changing-number-of-processors-in/7edb604a-29de-4048-82d5-48f55f852344
  7. I can’t boot my windows 10 hard drive anymore.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can’t boot my windows 10 hard drive anymore.: I think I’ve messed up. I don’t think I can boot windows anymore. So earlier I was trying to boot Linux from a usb and and all I did was flash the iso on to it. Then I booted from the usb like normal from bios. After messing around with Linux and creating persistent storage...
  8. Hard Drive order

Hard Drive order: Hi, I purchased a PC that had a PRIME B250-PLUS motherboard fitted, running windows 10 home. It had a DVD drive and a Hard drive fitted. I recently fitted three more hard drives in what I thought was the correct order for the SATA sockets as shown on the board PDF. The C...
  9. changing number or name of external hard drives

changing number or name of external hard drives: I have about 6 external hard drives and I want to change their designation, like A. B. C or 1, 2, 3, but windows puts it's own designation on each one, and as a result, some have the same letter....
  10. Changing Boot Order

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Boot Order: Having found my way into the BIOS to change the boot order I am faced with 4 options. Which one do I select? I want the PC to call first on a USB Recovery Drive, created with Macrium Reflect. Should I go back to BIOS to make a note of the options and list them here, as I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. changing hard drive number in boot