Windows 10: changing hdd in new laptop

Discus and support changing hdd in new laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I will be getting a new laptop, I've never had one before, which has a 1tb hdd fitted. I happen to have a Samsung 500gb 850 EVO taken from a desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tinmar49, Jan 17, 2017.

1. tinmar49 Win User

changing hdd in new laptop

I will be getting a new laptop, I've never had one before, which has a 1tb hdd fitted.
    I happen to have a Samsung 500gb 850 EVO taken from a desktop that died, the ssd is fine. What are my options, can I remove the hdd and do a clean install of W10, my first choice to avoid the clutter, or should I clone the os. Will W10 activate automatically?

:)

tinmar49, Jan 17, 2017

2. Feeling vibration when laptop is on

I had to change my laptop's internal hdd recently due to some error and ever since I have changed the hard disc I feel a vibration when I touch my laptop(near to the touch pad)..is this normal or there is some problem with the new hdd?

HP laptop(Toshiba internal hdd)

Ranajit919, Jan 17, 2017
  3. Data lost when transacted in a HDD which was shutdown using hibernate option

Hi,

I had a trouble with one of HDD in laptop so i bought a new one.

To copy data before i changed HDD which already had OS,i shutdown the laptop,took out the faulty HDD and connected the new HDD and booted the OS.

Now i connected the faulty HDD as external drive and copied data from it to new HDD which was earlier shutdown using hibernate option.

But post restart the HDD shows freedrive space to be occipued but no data or folders to be seen.Please help.this has around 8 years of data.

Subramanyam S V (COMMUNICATIONS), Jan 17, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, assuming the laptop already has Win 10 installed, you are free to replace the disk and reinstall Win 10. If Home was installed, Home will be activated. Likewise Pro.

Note that you will need to ensure the laptop uses AHCI before installing the OS to get best performance from your SSD.
    AHCI vs IDE - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

Your best option is to clean install.
    Windows 10 ISO Download

(Some laptops allow you to have both a SSD and a HDD installed, like mine, but in most cases you need a different form factor SSD to the one you have).

dalchina, Jan 17, 2017
  5. tinmar49 Win User
    The laptop is a Lenovo ideapad 310 with an i3-6100U, hopefully it is up to date enough to have AHCI.
    I would prefer the clean install straight to the ssd, keeping the original hdd in case of warranty claims.
    I will run the original hdd in the laptop for a couple of weeks before changing.

tinmar49, Jan 17, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    That would be a good idea. Make sure that Windows says it is activated before changing the drive and trying the clean install. Once activated you have a digital licence for this PC stored on Microsoft's activation servers, this should automatically activate your clean install.

7. tinmar49 Win User
    I got the Lenovo today, it must have up to date internals, as it has ddr4.
    It is now activated, my Microsoft account is ok and all the latest updates have installed with no problems.
    Does anyone know how I can get into the bios to check the AHCI settings?

tinmar49, Jan 18, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

If you use a search engine and type/paste the following
    lenovo ideapad bios
    you will get some helpful ideas

http://www.lenovo.com/shop/americas/...u410_ug_en.pdf
    manual here - search for BIOS
    AHCI is not in the manual

For specifics on your laptop type, best to try Lenovo's support (as it's new) or their forum.

dalchina, Jan 18, 2017
  9. tinmar49 Win User
    I have just googled the exact part number and saved the pdf. To get into the bios of this model, there is a reset type hole which you can use something like a pin in. Doing this while the machine is switched off will go into the bios. I put a password in, but there is nothing much else, no resemblance to a desktop. No AHCI of course.
    I did notice on the box label the storage options for hdd, ssd and sshd.
    The instructions do give info on changing the drive.

tinmar49, Jan 18, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Jan 19, 2017
  11. Steve C Win User
    You can image the HDD installation to another disk using something like Macrium Reflect Free. Then install the SSD and recover the HDD image. The laptop should work fine and activate. Run the PC for a while and you can do a clean install if necessary. Keep the old HDD for a while as this should still boot and work if you have problems.

Steve C, Jan 19, 2017
  12. tinmar49 Win User
    I have just saved to favourites the Lenovo support site, theres nothing on it that I need at present.
    I downloaded W10 64 this morning, swapped drives, loaded a clean install and Windows is activated.
    I was a bit worried when Windows loaded that I was not offered the choice of types, but it put on home automatically.
    Updates are downloading as I type this.
    I was pleasantly surprised by the power of the i3, which has 80% of the power of my FX4300 and only uses 15 watts. It will run at 350mhz on the battery if necessary.
    The 1tb Seagate will be stored in a safe place.
    When I was on the Lenovo site, it told me that the warrantee had 295 days to run, a bit mean, fortunately, I bought the laptop from one of the UK's best retailers, John Lewis, they give a full two years on all their products. The box had all the original Lenovo seals on it, so it was unused.

tinmar49, Jan 19, 2017
  13. tinmar49 Win User

Update, I have just installed Samsung Magician 4.5 and AHCI is activated.
    Everything looks hunky dory, thanks everybody.

tinmar49, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. changing hdd in new laptop - Similar Threads - changing hdd laptop

2. new hdd

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    new hdd: if my win 10 computer crashes and i install a new hard drive can i use the rescue drive to install windows on new drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-hdd/901326eb-1eea-420b-ad85-37d3e61c8b97
  3. new hdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    new hdd: if my win 10 computer crashes and i install a new hard drive can i use the rescue drive to install windows on new drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-hdd/901326eb-1eea-420b-ad85-37d3e61c8b97
  4. new hdd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. New HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New HDD: Hi, My existing HDD is unusable, so am considering buying a new HDD & putting windows 10 pro on it using a ISO copy i have on a CD, but will i need to format the new HDD first i will it all get done during the install process?Mike...
  6. Errors regarding adding new HDD in a laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Errors regarding adding new HDD in a laptop: I tried to add a new HDD to my computer, It wanted me to initialize the HDD. But I cannot do so due to many errors popping up. The error says "The request could not be performed due to an I/O device error". If I retry it sometimes gives a different error that says "Invalid...
  7. Laptop feels sluggish after changing HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop feels sluggish after changing HDD: I just got my laptop back from service centre to get a HDD replacement (there were bad sectors on the old one), and now my laptop feels more sluggish than how it used to be (Twitter on Chrome is very laggy), even though I've uninstalled all of the bloatwares. I've installed...
  8. Changing from an HDD to an SDD on a laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Changing from an HDD to an SDD on a laptop: Hello! I Changed the hdd to an ssd and now I can't activate my windows even though I have the correct product key from my account. Is there a way to solve this issue?...
  9. changing hdd in laptop without losing os?

in Windows 10 Support
    changing hdd in laptop without losing os?: Hi I want to upgrade my laptop with an ssd, but i don't want to lose my windows installation because I am using the windows 10 upgrade and if I reinstall windows it will downgrade me to my original windows 7 Is there a way to transfer the entire current hdd to a new ssd,...
  10. New HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New HDD: I have added a WD 250GB to my main system (got a box full of HDDs *Redface) so Im all set for installing Win 9 *Biggrin [img] 1871