Windows 10: Changing my MOBO etc. will that KILL my W10?

Discus and support Changing my MOBO etc. will that KILL my W10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am presently running a FREE W10 which is fully up to date, upgraded from W7; I presently have a AMD CPU Powered MOBO etc. but plan to shortly install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by orbeavhawk, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Changing my MOBO etc. will that KILL my W10?

I am presently running a FREE W10 which is fully up to date, upgraded from W7; I presently have a AMD CPU Powered MOBO etc. but plan to shortly install a NEW Intel CPU and MOBO and am concerned from some of the things that I have read - that this might trigger MS not allowing me to do this unless I now purchase W10 from them? I have also read that IF I had to buy W10, if it is an OEM Version I would have to do a CLEAN install; I don't want to lose everything, and have read that if u use a Retail Version of W10 u don't have to do a clean install.....is this true? I have also read what I believe anyway that the seller was telling me....that having the present W10 Installed already...IF I BUY a W'10 Version now, when I go to install it, IT will auto change the FREE Version to the NEW Purchased Version Number and that will trigger activation that will enable me to do this major hardware upgrade w/o losing my W10....PLEASE advise and..............
    TKS michael*Think

:)

orbeavhawk, Apr 30, 2017

2. Motherboard driver issue

I am using windows 10 pro, My mobo is Gigabyte H61M-S2P. Unfortunately i have lost my mobo driver CD and i couldn't find any working driver in gigabyte site, my question is will windows 10 automatically download all the drivers of mobo( Bios, chipset,
    network etc) by itself. or should i use third party software. TIA

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Akibamarth, Apr 30, 2017
  3. Changing my phone, and keeping my apps etc.

No problem as long as you use the same Microsoft Account (previously Windows Live account) on your new Lumia 900 that you're currently using on your Lumia 800.

And you might want to try an app called Reinstaller to help reinstall apps of your choice onto your newer Nokia Lumia 900 (an excellent choice).

I hope this helps!

David

David Scammell, Apr 30, 2017
  4. Ztruker Win User

Changing my MOBO etc. will that KILL my W10?

BACKUP! BACKUP! BACKUP!

If you don't have one, buy a 1TB or larger external USB hard drive and use Macrium Reflect Pro or Free to do the image backup.

Once you have a complete image backup to an external hard drive then no matter what happens you will not lose your data and can always get back to exactly where you started.

In my opinion, a new system board and CPU is a new machine and will require a new Windows 10 key. This is only an opinion and not fact. I'm sure some other folks with post with better understanding of what will happen.

Ztruker, Apr 30, 2017
  5. Clintlgm Win User
    Yes I reciently did a motherboard replacement, it was replaced with a similar MB and the Same CPU, on activation I had to do the phone call method, this did work and my windows 10 pro retail upgrade from 8.1 Pro upgrade activated. Create that hard drive image. Macrium has a restore to different hardware option. might work for you?? Another issue your new MB set up should be UEFI, is your present system UEFI? You might just be better off purchasing a retail Windows 10. Could save you a lot of aggravation

Clintlgm, Apr 30, 2017
  6. TisJester Win User
    If you are running Windows 10 and logged in with an online account.. You will be fine..
    Beginning with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, you can link your Microsoft account (MSA) with the Windows 10 digital license on your device. The new feature allows you to access the Activation Troubleshooter quickly to re-activate your free upgrade copy of Windows 10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ardware-change

Since your going to New hardware I would strongly suggest you do a clean install..
    Backup your Data files.. Note your installed programs and CD Keys (look up Windows keyfinder if your not sure what they are) and Just do a clean install..

TisJester, Apr 30, 2017
  7. TisJester Win User
    On a side note.. You can just download the latest Windows 10 USB ISO (from Microsoft) create a boot USB (I would use Rufus to create the USB drive using the Windows 10 iso file) Install that on your new system.. Use your Linked Microsoft Login to activate and your good to go.. (2 different way to boot to windows these days.. BIOS [the old way] and UEFI the new faster way.. If you are only going to have Windows on your new PC I would use the UEFI method.. Google it if you unsure of what I am talking about.

There is a trick to downloading the ISO from Microsoft and not using the Media creation tool - Look up UA Spoofer which tells Microsoft your on say an Android Device instead of Windows. This just lets you download the raw ISO file to use Rufus to create the USB install drive.

TisJester, Apr 30, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Why would you bother going through this convoluted route when you can create a bootable usb stick suitable for legacy bios or uefi using the media creation tool. Come to that, you can download the iso direct.

cereberus, Apr 30, 2017
  9. Like cereberus said, the MCT will let you create a bootable install thumb drive that can do Legacy BIOS installs and or UEFI installs. It will also let you download an ISO file if you wish. No need for trickery of Rufus.

alphanumeric, Apr 30, 2017
  10. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

MCT will create the ISO file for you with an install.esd file (as opposed to an instal.wim file). Mount the iso file on a W10 machine, slect all files and copy these to a USB stick of at least 4 Gb.
    That will then be bootable from a UEFI system.

Boot from it and install W10. As for activation, easiest way is to first remove the old machine from your licensed devices list by going to "Settings" > My Microsoft account and use your MS account to log on to the new system.
    In theory it should activate all by itself using the digital license from the removed device.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 30, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    I am afraid this is incorrect.

If OP did this, the digital licence link would be removed and would be unable to activate on new PC!

Not only that, logging in to MS account on new PC DOES NOT automatically activate as stated. It is a manual process as described below.

The correct way is as follows (key steps - see tutorial below for exact steps)

1) Ensure you have the digital licence linked to you MS account on old device.

2) Install Windows 10 on new device, but no need to enter any key.

3) Go to settings menu on new device, and there will be a link saying Windows is not activated.

4) Click on link to run activation troubleshooter.

5) Click on link "I have changed my hardware" and transfer digital licence to new PC.

6) Now Windows 10 can be deleted from old device.

The following tutorial describes the process in full detail.

Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

cereberus, Apr 30, 2017
  12. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,
    @Cerberus, yes, you are correct. I am confusing a few things.... Getting old too. *Wink

Cheers and apologies, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 30, 2017
  13. cereberus Win User

No need to apologise *Smile.

cereberus, Apr 30, 2017
  14. Just mounting the ISO and copying the files to it is no guaranty it will be able to install in UEFI mode. If said thumb drive is formatted in NTFS a lot of PC's will not let you install in UEFI mode. They want fat32. I prefer to do it all in diskpart and mark the partition as active to make it truly bootable.

alphanumeric, Apr 30, 2017
  15. cereberus Win User
    Partitions do not need to be marked active in UEFI mode as it does not use that.

Simply do as Fdegrove says, with caveat added that USB stick should be formatted as FAT32.

cereberus, Apr 30, 2017
Thema:

1. Changing my MOBO etc. will that KILL my W10? - Similar Threads - Changing MOBO etc

2. Mobo died, changed mobo, Windows 10 will not activate.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Mobo died, changed mobo, Windows 10 will not activate.: Mobo died, I changed out the mobo, now Windows 10 will not activate. I've tried following the activation tutorial with the bot. As I purchased Windows 10 online I do not have an activation code. I was able to recover my installation ID but the bot will not recognize it....
  3. troubles activating W10 after MOBO change (and W10 edition change?)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    troubles activating W10 after MOBO change (and W10 edition change?): Dear all, thanks in advance to anyone who will help. I recently had to change MOBO due to stupid me pouring tea on top of my desktop. I brought it to a computer shop who seems to have been very transparent and competent. The computer had everything installed already, but I...
  4. W10 update killed my Brother printer

W10 update killed my Brother printer: June 13, 2020 W10 version 10.0.18362 A recent W10 update (the actual update number isn't available) knocked out my trusty Brother HL 4070cdw printer. All W10 debug attempts, Brother printer settings, wifi and router settings to determine the trouble reported OK e.g....
  5. Changing my MOBO and CPU a

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing my MOBO and CPU a: I'm doing PC upgrades and changes entirely for my new mini-itx build. I'm not sure about how the process would work, but what are the appropriate steps I need to undertake before making my changes? My personal data and files are backed up to my Onedrive, and have nothing...
  6. W10 update kills the taskbar

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 update kills the taskbar: First, I'm new to this and thought I posted this already, but there doesn't seem to be any way to find one's own post. After updating the latest W10 my PC eventually kills the bottom taskbar. Placing the cursor there gets a perpetual blue circle. Open applications like mail...
  7. i changed mobo w10 asking to activate

i changed mobo w10 asking to activate: i changed mobo w10 asking to activate https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-changed-mobo-w10-asking-to-activate/684df42e-d54a-4649-b5ea-8942f3ebee56"
  8. Cant change my password - W10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cant change my password - W10: I start PC and after boot up I put in my login password ..... which is all fine, Windows starts up and full access. So 100% confident this password is correct (been using for 3 months) I want to change this password .... when I go to start > settings > accounts > sign-in...
  9. Anyway TO CHANGE fonts OF MENUS / TITLEBARS ETC IN w10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Anyway TO CHANGE fonts OF MENUS / TITLEBARS ETC IN w10: Hi there on previous releases of Windows you could select Fonts for Window titles, menus , toolbars etc. On two of my monitors the current fonts just look HIDEOUS and there's no way to change them -- worked fine on Windows 7. This is going to cause BIG problems for...
  10. Properly "killing" an older W10 installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Properly "killing" an older W10 installation: I just put in a new SSD and have been in the process of transferring and reinstalling files and apps from my older Win 10 main hard drive to the new SSD. Through the UEFI Bios, I can still boot into either old or new disk but I notice that there may be increasing glitches at...