Windows 10: Changing my Primary Microsoft account e-mail

Discus and support Changing my Primary Microsoft account e-mail in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I have had a Hotmail account for around 8 years now and it is the hub of all my Microsoft apps (Office, Facebook, Xbox, Windows Phone... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by guywinfield, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Changing my Primary Microsoft account e-mail

Hello everyone,
    I have had a Hotmail account for around 8 years now and it is the hub of all my Microsoft apps (Office, Facebook, Xbox, Windows Phone ..etc) but it has come to an unmanageable point. The e-mail address I have being using for this Hotmail account is linked to everything.
    I would like to remove the Hotmail e-mail address I have so that I can have a new outlook account, starting afresh from the years of junk that has been accumulating uselessly in my e-mail. This of course affects everything, because even though as i don't use the Hotmail e-mail it lingers everywhere plaguing my notifications (continuous notifications on my laptop, phone ..etc).
    So I would love to create a new Outlook account which I can use a working e-mail but also transfer all of my apps that I have from the Hotmail account (Office, Xbox live, Windows Phone..etc) to my new Outlook account. I've tried a few things but have been very cautious because I don't want to lose my apps, especially seeing as I have paid for things such as Office.
    Please help because I am desperate to have a functional Microsoft account !
    Many thanks

:)

guywinfield, Apr 20, 2016

2. Change my logon email address for my Windows account

Thank you for your reply. I although found an easier solution.

I added my new account to the list of emails attached to my account (a secondary e-mail account) Having done that I changed the secondary account to the primary account instead of the one no longer wanted as the primary.

That solved the problem.

Niels ErikMortensen, Apr 20, 2016
  3. Change Account Primary Alias

I have added an e-mail address to my Microsoft account am now using it on my phone. Note to readers: It seems that a phone number cannot be the primary alias. The primary alias must be and e-mail address.

Weird Odd Wodd, Apr 20, 2016
  4. RWOne Win User

Changing my Primary Microsoft account e-mail

RWOne, Apr 20, 2016
  5. I've been on there already but it is still unclear

6. Is it just a case of changing my primary alias then deleting the old one ?

I wasn't sure about this before because of all the things I've paid for

7. ARC1020 Win User
    Yeah, pretty much. Add a new outlook.com alias, make that the primary Microsoft Account address, then delete the old email address. It will take a while for it to update on all your devices though (I've had it take about a week or so for it to finally update itself and even then the last time I couldn't be bothered to wait so reset my phone instead of waiting for it to update).

From Outlook.com - Microsoft free personal email go to the cog in the top-right, then Options > Aliases: manage or choose a primary

Changing my Primary Microsoft account e-mail [​IMG]

Also, make sure you update your details on all online accounts you have that are using that old email address, because your old email address maybe made available again for someone else to register after 30 days. If they register that address, then they will be able to carry out password resets and gain control of those online accounts that you haven't changed the email address on.

What I'd probably do is set up your new Outlook.com alias and make it the primary address, however keep the old Hotmail account alias for 6 months or so purely for the purpose of seeing what online accounts you have that are still using that old email address (that way you know which online accounts you still need to update your email address on).

So that emails that are sent to your old address are kept separate from your new email address, create a new email folder on Outlook.com (you still can't do this directly in the Windows 10 Mail app), then create a rule so that emails sent to your old address go into their own separate folder.

Changing my Primary Microsoft account e-mail [​IMG]

Here are couple of tutorials:
    https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/add-or-remove-microsoft-account-aliases.3085/
    https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/change-primary-alias-for-microsoft-account.3087/

ARC1020, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Changing my Primary Microsoft account e-mail

1. Changing my Primary Microsoft account e-mail - Similar Threads - Changing Primary Microsoft

2. Change primary profile e-mail address

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Change primary profile e-mail address: I need to change my primary profile e-mail address on my Microsoft account. I no longer have access to the e-mail address associated with my Microsoft account. I have added my new Outlook e-mail address to the account; however, when I try to make it my primary login address I...
  3. Change primary profile e-mail address

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change primary profile e-mail address: I need to change my primary profile e-mail address on my Microsoft account. I no longer have access to the e-mail address associated with my Microsoft account. I have added my new Outlook e-mail address to the account; however, when I try to make it my primary login address I...
  4. Change primary profile e-mail address

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Change of e-mail and chance of Microsoft account to be associated with e-mail instead of phone.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change of e-mail and chance of Microsoft account to be associated with e-mail instead of phone.: Hi,I have two problems I need help with:1. I need to change the e-mail address of my Microsoft account. Normally this would be easy, but I seem to already have created a Microsoft account with this e-mail address. I don't remember it and I don't use it. This e-mail address,...
  6. Change of e-mail and chance of Microsoft account to be associated with e-mail instead of phone.

Change of e-mail and chance of Microsoft account to be associated with e-mail instead of phone.: Hi,I have two problems I need help with:1. I need to change the e-mail address of my Microsoft account. Normally this would be easy, but I seem to already have created a Microsoft account with this e-mail address. I don't remember it and I don't use it. This e-mail address,...
  7. Changing my primary Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing my primary Microsoft account: I am currently trying to change the Microsoft account I use for this computer e.g. signing in, making purchases in the Microsoft Store, etc.. It was set up with an email I never use when it was first purchased, and I am planning to delete this one and link my primary email to...
  8. Changing my primary Microsoft account

Changing my primary Microsoft account: I am currently trying to change the Microsoft account I use for this computer e.g. signing in, making purchases in the Microsoft Store, etc.. It was set up with an email I never use when it was first purchased, and I am planning to delete this one and link my primary email to...
  9. How to change my e-mail address in my Microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change my e-mail address in my Microsoft account?: I recently changed my e-mail address due to some issues with AT&T. I've updated virtually all my files and apps to reflect the change, except for my Microsoft account which still shows my previous e-mail address. How can I make this revision?...
  10. e mail accounts and microsoft accounts

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    e mail accounts and microsoft accounts: It is so tiring that every time I use an account that signing in is so much bs . Every time I try to enter your company says I'm wrong . So I enter it again , again you tell me I'm wrong . No darn way . I have been working this problem for several days . You just will not let...