Windows 10: Changing my USERS folder name

Discus and support Changing my USERS folder name in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Windows 10 currently on the Fall Creators update. When I got my new notebook, I was having a problem with the Windows Store. A Microsoft tech... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by JeffL, Dec 30, 2017.

1. JeffL Win User

Changing my USERS folder name

Windows 10 currently on the Fall Creators update.

When I got my new notebook, I was having a problem with the Windows Store. A Microsoft tech determined that my user profile was messed up, added a new account, and deleted the problematic one. all was good.

The problem is, he replace a one word user name (it was part of my email address), with my Microsoft Account name, which is my first name, space, and my last name. The result is that the c: users folder shows Users\Jeff Leites. Every thing works OK, except when I need to address a file down that path with a Run DOS type of command. It doesn't like the space, and says it can't find the file in C:\Users\Jeff.

I'm pretty sure that the fix for this is to add a new administrative account with a one word name (previous computers came with the word "Owner" but I'm open to other suggestions) and delete the current account.

My question is, once I add the new account, can I move everything from the folder under the previous name to the new account folder, or am I better off reinstalling whatever needs to be reinstalled, and resetting whatever setting need to be reset to make it work the way I've been using it. I suppose there could be register entries that might not match up if I just move everything from one folder to the next. (Maybe I just answered my own question *Confused ).

:)

JeffL, Dec 30, 2017

2. Changing User Folder Name

Hi Neil,

Are you able to log into the old account? The account may be corrupt, suggest to back up your important data and then create a new account and check.

Create a local user account in Windows 10

Here's how to create another account on your PC for a child or someone else who doesn't have a Microsoft account.

On Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional editions:

• Select the Start button, then select Settings > Accounts > Family & other people > Add someone else to this PC.

• Enter a user name, password, password hint, and then select Next. You're done!
    On Windows 10 Enterprise edition:

• Select the Start button, then select Settings > Accounts > Other people > Add someone else to this PC.

• At the bottom of the page, select I don’t have this person’s sign-in information, and at the bottom of the next page, select Add a user without a Microsoft account.

• Enter a user name, password, password hint, and then select Next. You're done!
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...18c/create-a-local-user-account-in-windows-10

If you are unable to boot to the desktop and this is the only account, you can try booting with a Windows 10 installation DVD and perform a system restore.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

SujataMoktan, Dec 30, 2017
  3. Renaming user folder in Win 10

Ny user folder is named with the first 5 letters of my email. I followed the advices from Microsoft forums and chaged it in my Microsoft Account. My account name was changed but the user folder didn't change and remained the 5 letters of my email.

How can I change the user folder name?

NelliSheffer, Dec 30, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Dec 30, 2017
Thema:

1. Changing my USERS folder name - Similar Threads - Changing USERS folder

2. Change the name of my user folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change the name of my user folder: Is it possible to change the name of my user folder? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-name-of-my-user-folder/2d7e3d7a-ed14-4026-8a68-31475cc8e2a4
  3. Changing Name of User Folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Changing Name of User Folder: My recently acquired Dell desktop pc (W10 Pro, Version 2004) has a Users folder containing three sub folders, Customer, Default and Public. I can change the name of the Default folder but not the others. In particular I would like to change Customer into something more...
  4. Changing User folder name ??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing User folder name ??: I recently clean installed Win 10 and i came to found out that the name of the user folder is first 5 letters of my email address. I wanted to know if there is a simple solution to this. I also tried renaming and changing path in regedit using Administrator account but it was...
  5. I changed my user folder name

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I changed my user folder name: I thought I hadn't changed any important file names but when I try to open my explorer folder i get "no mapping between account names and security ids" I was trying a method that included typing "RSOP.msc " into the run but then it said "windows cannot find rsop.msc...
  6. Changing the User folder name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Changing the User folder name: Hey again. I tried to change the name of my profile user folder, using this guide Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10 But when I take a look in the regedit, I can only find "currentversion", which leads to "AutoRotation" in the Windows folder, where the profile...
  7. Change user name and user folder name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change user name and user folder name: My Lenovo/Windows setup has chosen a stupid user name for me, shortened from the first letters of my MS account ID. How do I safely change my user name on my PC, and more importantly, my c:\users\user folder name whilst maintaining my Windows account name for logging in etc?...
  8. Change the users name in folder

Change the users name in folder: I want remove the space in folder's name: C:\Users\Arbnor Gashi\Desktop\Master_Thesis\Write\Thesis. The space between name and last name should be removed because it doesn't work for a statistical program. I changed my account name but this name doesn't change in...
  9. change a user name folder

change a user name folder: how do I change a user name folder in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-a-user-name-folder/7413f37f-1efb-44a8-9a97-24132b3ad0f8
  10. User's Name Desktop Folder changed it's name to "Folders"

User's Name Desktop Folder changed it's name to "Folders": I have a problem with my User Folder. Actually the User Folder name is fine, but when you add the Folder on the desktop (with the option on Personalize + Themes) it changed it's name to "Folders" I've tried creating new users, but every new user I create, no matter how...