Windows 10: Changing permissions on a folder that you can't access

Discus and support Changing permissions on a folder that you can't access in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello, I am new to the forums but I was searching the forums for an answer to my question and didn't get one so I turned to the rest of the... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by SiriusDark, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Changing permissions on a folder that you can't access

Hello,

I am new to the forums but I was searching the forums for an answer to my question and didn't get one so I turned to the rest of the internet. In time I was able to develop a fix for my problem. This is the fix. If this is in the wrong place please tell me and I will gladly move it. My initial problem was that I could not access the folder "WindowsApps" at "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" even though I was an administrator. Let's not worry about why I needed access to it, that is a whole different story. Anyways, I found that I was supposed to have traverse/list access to the folder by checking the advanced security settings and I was not able to traverse the folder through windows explorer, or any other programs for that matter, and the cause was obvious after I looked past the "Administrators" group policy, the "Users" group policy on it was corrupted. Well since I didn't have permission to write new permissions I was kinda stuck, so that started my hunt, first for the built-in admin account, which was not what I needed, then for a "System" user account, which was apparently not a thing I could access easily. Now that all of those had failed I came across a way to access a System level command prompt, which was able to give me the control I needed to use icacls to create a new policy for the "Users" group and subsequently gave me access to the folder. I had to use a program called PSTools, made by Mark Russinovich, to finally give me the level of access I needed to complete this. I know that this is a lot of info and probably seems useless but all other methods for changing the permissions to fix it failed and instead of doing a long refresh I preferred a faster method.

I hope this helps everyone who needs it. Feel free to comment anything you like or if you feel I should change the post in any way.

Thanks,
    Sirius

:)

SiriusDark, Jul 31, 2017
  2. Tomscot2 Win User

How do you Restore Windows 10 User Permissions to default?

For Windows 10. I accidentally changed a user permission for my Documents folder. I am the administrator. The Security permission listed is for the homegroup users, but not System, Administrator or User (me). I
    can't change the permissions back because it tells me that I do not have access to certain folders. I did not have System Restore enabled. When I try to change the permission in the parent folder it still denies access for the one folder.

Is there any way to reset all permissions to default for this folder?

Tomscot2, Jul 31, 2017
  3. You have been denied permission to access this folder when editing a folder property

Original title: Windows Explorer

Hi,

I were edit Security tab in a folder properties. (I'm Administrator)

I can't open the folder error:

You have been denied permission to access this folder". (To gain access to this folder you will need to use the security tab).

But i cant change owner (System says i haven't got permission)

WilliamGhorbanzadeh, Jul 31, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Changing permissions on a folder that you can't access

Interesting, that WindowsApps Folder was created on my Win10 Home computer with the latest update, is empty and also prevents access. On my Win10 Pro computer it was created 2 days ago.

Berton, Aug 1, 2017
  5. Breton,

It is a new folder from the Windows Store that places the downloaded apps (at least part of them) in there for storage and ease of access for it. As the administrator you should be able to list the folder contents in explorer. You may want to check the advanced security permissions to see if there are any broken permissions. You will have to view each entry to see if they are broken. It will tell you if there is anything broken on the view screens.

Thanks,
    Sirius

SiriusDark, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Changing permissions on a folder that you can't access

1. Changing permissions on a folder that you can't access - Similar Threads - Changing permissions folder

2. You don't currently have permission to access this folder.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    You don't currently have permission to access this folder.: Can't open folder A message appears as shown in the picture. Tried to find a way and came to pictures 3 and 4. It's not like other people at all....
  3. You require permission to make changes to this folder

in Windows 10 News
    You require permission to make changes to this folder: [IMG]If you see Folder Access Denied, You require permission to make changes to this folder error message while deleting the file(s) located inside a particular folder, this article will help you. You may also encounter the same error message while copying or deleting the...
  4. You don't currently have permission to access this folder.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    You don't currently have permission to access this folder.: Hello! Please help me. I can't open any file in my Local D:\ It says You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Interesting enough. I only have one account and It is adminisator....
  5. You don't currently have permission to access this folder.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    You don't currently have permission to access this folder.: Hello! Please help me. I can't open any file in my Local D:\ It says You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Interesting enough. I only have one account and It is adminisator....
  6. "You don't currently have permission to access this folder."

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "You don't currently have permission to access this folder.": I changed my SSD a couple of months and recently realized that I needed a file from my old SSD, but every time I try to access the folder. I get this error: https://i.imgur.com/x0kJnP8.png I googled the issue and followed all the steps on this page:...
  7. "You don't have permission to access this folder"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "You don't have permission to access this folder": I can't use my USBs and hard drives because of this. Every time I try to connect USBs and hardrive the same message keeps coming up. I've tried to fix it "following step by step by step tutorials from everywhere but it just won't get fixed. I'm sick and tired of it. I need...
  8. You have been denied permission to access this folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    You have been denied permission to access this folder: Hello! Thank your for taking the time to read. I recently upgraded my computer to windows 10 after having a computer hardware failure and replaced the hard drive. Now back and running. However I ran into a a few issues since, but the one that I need help with at this moment...
  9. You do not have permission to access this folder

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    You do not have permission to access this folder: I have recently installed Ubandu 18.10 on a rack server, and have a 400Gb+ntfs partion which I have files on, and shared that folder using samba. (I have even included a guest share in the samba setting). On both of my windows 10 machines (desktop and laptop), I can see...
  10. Can't seem to change permissions on folders

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can't seem to change permissions on folders: I keep getting a "Permission denied" error when trying to save stuff in the "My Documents" folder. The folder seems to be set to "read only", which is pointless for that folder - not even sure why it's been set to that. Any suggestions? I have tried to untick and "apply",...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant give permissions to folder

2. you cant access this folder

3. set permissions to folder now cant access it

4. cannot move the items. cannot move folder; access is denied. to check your permissions for the folder right-click the folder and then click properties on the shortcut menu. seethe folder owner or your administrator to change your permissions.,
  5. microsoft windows 97 message you do not have access to the folder A see your administrator for access to this folder,
  6. user can access the folder but can not move folder to another folder,
  7. how to give access to a folder you dont have access to,
  8. users cant edit items in u drive permissions issue,
  9. give permission to folder that i cant access,
  10. permission so you cant access a certain folder on sharipoint,
  11. folder permission canceled permission changed now cant access,
  12. can you change permissions on a folder so you cant view anything over a date